Osprey Aura/Atmos

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Hiker Girl
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Osprey Aura/Atmos

Post by Hiker Girl » Jan 26 2010 4:59 pm

My husband and I are planning a 3 day backpacking trip on the Northern Rim of the Grand Canyon, and I was looking for a good pack. We haven't been backpacking before, but we plan on doing a couple little ones before our Grand Canyon trip to test out everything.

I was looking at packs at REI today...and I came upon the Osprey Aura for myself. It seems like a nice pack...feels like a nice pack. I just want to hear some opinions on the pack to help me decide if I'll take the plunge and buy it or not.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AuraSe ... ns/Aura50/
"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
--Anonymous

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Osprey Aura/Atmos

Post by writelots » Jan 26 2010 5:01 pm

A good friend of mine swears by that pack. I've not used it myself, but it is quite popular. I've also seen it go up on steepandcheap.com for like 65% off 0 if you've got time for planning and waiting under the steepandcheap drip...

Good luck - North Rim is awesome!
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber » Jan 26 2010 5:18 pm

but if you get it from REI and it doesn't work out or you need to try another pack or they measure you wrong, you can take it back. Return policy on this clothing-like item is very important for a high-ticket purchase.

FYI I have the Aura Osprey 65 and I do like it; especially if you like lots of compartments. :)

Also I don't know when your Canyon trip is planned but ArizonaBackpackingClub has some beginner backpacking trips that might be of interest and value. I know they AND writelots sure made my first backpacking trips a little easier to get thru. I am still a beginner but making progress.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

Hiker Girl

Post by Hiker Girl » Jan 26 2010 5:31 pm

Well I also got $150 worth of REI gift cards for my birthday since I told my family I was really getting into hiking. The backpacking trip to the Grand Canyon is planned for late June, early July. So we've got like 5 months to do some practice trips.
"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
--Anonymous

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 26 2010 5:45 pm

The 50 might work for you I would suggest looking at the Osprey Aura 65 like Tibber has. When you get off the Corridor Trails in the Canyon and have to carry more water you need a pack with the suspension to carry a slightly heavier load. The 50 might be enough but for a few ounces more you can carry quite a bit more. The extra room comes in handy early or late in a season when you are carrying some warmer clothes. I have the Osprey Aether 70 Men's Pack. I like it for the zippers and organizing and for carrying the extra water for water caches.

Just like boots, fit is critically important. If it hits in the wrong places it will be awfully uncomfortable after a few miles.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Hiker Girl

Post by Hiker Girl » Jan 26 2010 5:49 pm

The only reason I hadn't completely considered the Aura 65 is because I am only 5'2" and even the small packs seem a little tall to me. And I don't want to move down to the kiddie packs. My husband will be getting a pack too and we'll be splitting the loads....so I don't think I'll be carrying much more than 12-15 lbs.
--Anonymous

nonot

Post by nonot » Jan 26 2010 7:33 pm

You said north rim, staying on top is fine but if you will be going to the bottom please consider that you will be hiking in JUNE and JULY. :o It will be 110-120 degrees in the bottom in the afternoon. :o Water weighs 8 lbs/gallon, so there's no way all you will be carrying is 12 lbs. :| Please consider what you will be going through more carefully! :stretch:
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 26 2010 7:57 pm

nonot wrote:Water weighs 8 lbs/gallon, so there's no way all you will be carrying is 12 lbs. :| Please consider what you will be going through more carefully!
Yes, I was thinking an Ariel might be more appropriate than an Aura. I like to have some margin with water. Twelve pounds is more more like my finishing weight than starting.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 26 2010 8:50 pm

My daypack weighs 12 pounds a lot of times. Your pack is going to weigh at least 20-25 pounds, maybe more if you are carrying a gallon or more of water, more like 32 pounds. Not meaning to discourage you, just being realistic. 25 pounds is not bad to carry, anyway. I am only 5'2" also, have carried forty and fifty pounds when I was younger, although that is not recommended! :wlift: But if you can get it down to 25 WITH the water, it shouldn't be too hard to manage.

However, as advised before on the thread, I would strongly suggest you go somewhere above 7,000 feet in June or July! Hope you are doing Powell Plateau or other above-the-rim hike. If your hike is planned for June or July that means you don't have your permit yet. If you plan to go below the rim, the rangers are going to try to talk you out of it--they may even refuse to issue you the permit. It is just too hot down there.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Hiker Girl

Post by Hiker Girl » Jan 26 2010 9:44 pm

What a nice sense of community..everyone looking out for me since I said I've never gone backpacking before. :-)

But lets give me just a little credit that I'd research a trail before deciding on it. The trail I'm doing...is actually several trails. It's Rainbow Rim, and is a total of 18 miles one way with 3 trail heads along the way. Each trail head has a water supply to refill your hydration packs and I believe 2 of them even have restrooms.

My husband and I aren't even interested in going below the rim...not this trip anyways. We're well aware how hot it gets down there. We are bringing our dog along, and this trail came very highly recommended to us. It's really easy, and scenic. That's all we were hoping for, since this trip is planned for our 1 year anniversary.

My dog packs about 10lbs, and I may carry as much as 20-25, same for my husband...but we are packing light, and only for 2 nights.

Any other advice is appreciated though...I really do love that you guys were quick to put up the red flags!

Thanks
--Anonymous

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 26 2010 10:20 pm

Did you look at the Granite Gear Packs? For the weight you are talking about carrying they work great and the pack itself is about a pound or more lighter than the Osprey so right there you start shaving some weight. They don't have as many zippers and openings - they are basically a tall sleeve. But they are a great pack. I use a Granite Gear pack when I can go lighter.

As I said before - Just like boots, the fit is everything.

Is that in the Kaibab National Forest and outside of the Park itself? So you don't need permits?
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Hiker Girl

Post by Hiker Girl » Jan 26 2010 10:28 pm

According to all the information I've read on the trail....it doesn't require any permits at all
--Anonymous

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jan 26 2010 10:47 pm

Seems like a ranger mentioned that last year when I was talking with her. Thinking back I have no clue why that would have entered the conversation though as I wasn't headed there or anything. Dawn will know though I don't know if she'll pickup on this gear thread.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 26 2010 10:57 pm

Looks like you should take binoculars and walk out on Timp Point to see Thunder River. Should be a lot of fun and a great introductory backpack trip.

Have you been to the North Rim before? There is a General Store/Convenience Store on the Road by Demotte Campground

Hiker Girl

Post by Hiker Girl » Jan 26 2010 10:59 pm

I've never been to the North Rim before, so it should be an interesting experience. Especially for our dog - he's the whole reason we've started hiking.
--Anonymous

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 26 2010 11:07 pm

Near where you are going I've seen Pronghorn Antelope, Mule Deer, Elk and Merriam's Turkey. I understand there are Bison near there but I've never seen them. I love the little restaurant at Jacob Lake for a salad, steak and Scotch after backpacking the North Rim. The restaurant at Cliff Dwellers Lodge by the Vermilion Cliffs is also worth the stop, especially if Barbara is still waitressing - she's a hoot. I usually get gas at Cameron by the Trading Post on the way up then at Jacob Lake.

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Jan 26 2010 11:52 pm

Cliff Dwellers is certainly an unexpected oasis of great food & beer in Marble Canyon

Dave1

Post by Dave1 » Jan 27 2010 1:08 am

Al_HikesAZ wrote:I understand there are Bison near there....
I saw a herd of them in a meadow on the way to Monument Point last July. 8)

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 27 2010 4:29 am

Yes, we are a good and concerned community of hikers, and we will tell you like it is, and try to help you, too! Stick around!

Your chosen hike sounds lovely! I am gonna stow away in the trunk...or maybe I'll pretend to be another dog...woof!

I have been a dedicated (and much-teased) external frame pack holdout for years. I just bought an ultralight (but not super ultralight) GoLite Women's Quest 65 pack. It is on clearance now at REI for $139 for the women's small, in weirdo green color. It is 2 lbs 15 oz to the Osprey Aura 65's 3 pounds 9 oz. It does have outside pockets, and hipbelt pockets. I love pockets! I have not yet actually tried it as I am just about snowed in (with actual snow) and snowed under with work right now, but Writelots has one and loves hers. I am switching out my gear to ultralight.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

sirena
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by sirena » Jan 27 2010 8:16 am

I have an Ariel and love it. I would caution against getting a backpack with just this one trip in mind and look for a pack that will give you options in the future. Here's a great site for comparison shopping for outdoor gear: http://www.spadout.com

Enjoy the North Rim- it is a magical place! It's hard to believe it is in the same state. I got snowed on a couple of years ago on June 4, while back home in Tucson it was over 100 degrees.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

Return to “Packs”