Osprey Aura/Atmos

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Hiker Girl
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Osprey Aura/Atmos

Post by Hiker Girl » Jan 26 2010 4:59 pm

My husband and I are planning a 3 day backpacking trip on the Northern Rim of the Grand Canyon, and I was looking for a good pack. We haven't been backpacking before, but we plan on doing a couple little ones before our Grand Canyon trip to test out everything.

I was looking at packs at REI today...and I came upon the Osprey Aura for myself. It seems like a nice pack...feels like a nice pack. I just want to hear some opinions on the pack to help me decide if I'll take the plunge and buy it or not.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AuraSe ... ns/Aura50/
"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
--Anonymous

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Osprey Aura/Atmos

Post by writelots » Jan 27 2010 9:19 am

Hiker Girl wrote:Especially for our dog - he's the whole reason we've started hiking.
My Lilo just LOVES her hiking - looks like she's only a little smaller than your pooch. Can't get her to wear the boots, though, like yours does. She just stops walking, or walks so slowly that I go insane after about 2 miles. ;) Something to think about with dog packs... I've been reading that it's best to keep their pack weight consistent over the entire hike. I used to have Lilo (and Paula before her) carry her own water, then her pack got lighter and lighter as the trip went on. But lots of more experienced folks convinced me that I should have her carry gear, and I carry the water, so that she has to readapt to the equilibrium change less often. Something to think on.

Sounds like you all have a wonderful trip planned. I would have a devil of a time walking along the rim of the GC and not diving into it - but I think it sounds like an excellent hike to whet your appetite for bigger and better adventures. Do checkout the Arizona Backpacking Club, though. We love to help out newbies and many times even have puppy-friendly outings!
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

Thoreau
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Thoreau » Jan 27 2010 9:31 am

I had the Atmos 65 for one trip (Fossil Springs) and returned it right after that. It was certainly a VERY nice pack, but they measured me for a medium, and that simply didn't leave enough size for the load lifter straps to do their jobs. So I had a LOT of weight on my shoulders. I wanted to just get the large-frame version, but the PV location was out, so I went in a totally different direction... The Osprey Exos 46. I *LOVE* this one for all the same reasons that made the Atmos/Aura such a good pack, but this one actually fit me, and helped me cut down on weight a LOT. My first trip into The Canyon last year was made with the Exos and I had enough space for everything, including a 2 person tent and supplies for two nights PLUS a full size tripod and quite a bit of camera gear. Worked like a champ, and certainly made the trek back out very doable thanks to the light weight =)

The Exos, to me, is basically the 'light' version of the Atmos/Aura packs and I can only imagine how comfy it would be if I didn't have to weight it down with camera gear all the time (usually adds about 5-10 lbs depending on the trip, and sometimes up to 15-16 lbs.)

Hiker Girl
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Hiker Girl » Jan 27 2010 4:43 pm

WriteLots: Yeah, we've been hiking with Jackson (our dog) for several months now. But he carries the first aid kit and other supplies that stay in there the whole trip. Jackson loves his booties. I know some people that think that it's stupid that I put him in the booties, that a dogs paws should be conditioned. But...he has conditioned paws....I just don't want cholla or anything getting caught in them.
"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
--Anonymous

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Feb 20 2010 7:38 pm

I love my Osprey Stratos 24. It's fairly large for a day pack, but I tend to take a lot of stuff. When I was coming down Flatiron today 3 different people asked me if I camped up there, and referenced my pack. I love its frame because I'm 6'4" with a long torso because it really keeps snug against my back, and has the hollow chamber.

Return to “Packs”