Golite Quest Pack

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Golite Quest Pack

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 10 2010 9:21 pm

I'm in the process of trying to stuff a bunch of traditional backpacking gear into my new ultralight pack. Leaving tomorrow to hike in the Blue Range. I do remember several of you saying I should get the other gear first, then get the pack! :roll: Dang, I am going to have to dangle some of this crap off the outside of it--it is a lot smaller than what I am used to. My cook kit is huge, I am going to have to do something else about water purification, that Katahdyn is huge. My sleeping bag and tent, which used to be top of the line lightweight, seem huge, too.

I have several super ultralight lists with ridiculously low base weights of 4 to 8 pounds. I don't have the gear to make that happen, though.

I am just going to have to muddle through. I am sooo tempted to take my old pack instead! I have dayhiked with the new pack several times, so I know it fits me ok, though.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Golite Quest Pack

Post by Tough_Boots » Jun 11 2010 10:12 am

I have an REI ultralight pack from about 4 years ago and love the compactness of it. I do, though, miss the added ability to strap gear to the outside that I lost when I got rid of my old external frame pack. I'm ok with the compromise and it has taught me to backpack in a different way and my new(er) pack is so much more comfortable and I feel much more streamlined-- no klunkiness. I go no frills when I pack in-- my mess kit is tiny and sometimes I leave my sleepingbag behind depending on the weather. Getting the other gear before the UL pack is probably good advice, but I bet this will push you to get the gear now!
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jun 11 2010 10:36 am

I replaced my old (dinosaur) ext. frame pack with a Gregory z55... If I don't pack my tent and sleeping pad, I can keep things relatively light and compact. Even with it, weight and bulk aren't too bad; I'm comfortable for 3-4 days on moderate hikes. I know I could pare things down more if I wanted to (did it when I was learning survival skills...).

Curious to know how things go for you, Liz... We'll be waiting for an update!

Thoreau
Gadget Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Thoreau » Jun 11 2010 12:13 pm

If I'm reading the specs right, that pack is 65 liters? (This is the one I found http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetai ... 44&t=&lat=) You'd crap yourself if you had to use my pack =) 46 liter Osprey Exos, muahahahah. That bugger has taken me through 2 night trips so far without issue, and that's WITH 10lbs of camera gear shoved in there too. It can definitely get interesting trying to get everything to fit, but once I'm out on the trail, I thank myself. Then I kick myself for bringing various other crap that I still never use and could've left behind. =(

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 13 2010 3:31 pm

Hi, I'm back! The pack worked very well! I did strap the tent on the bottom of it where there were loops for that. If I hadn't taken the tent and warm bag I would have froze my toes--it was windy the first night and in the 30's last night up there.

My pack weight with all the water was 36 pounds when I started out. Pack at that weight still rides really well on my hips and shoulders, no bruises, no aches and pains. Sure is a lot easier to crawl under or over a fallen tree when you don't have that top-heavy load.

I observed some other people's Tarptent Contrail, and also ultralight sleeping bag and thermarests, etc. Not only are these items lighter, but they compact down very small.

So, a little at a time.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Jun 13 2010 3:34 pm

Liz, this is off topic, but what the pumpkin happened at the high school the other day?!?
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 13 2010 3:40 pm

Rob look at my other post. It is just terrible. I live 5 blocks from there, and work half a block from there (school bus). I had just left town to go backpacking. My husband was in his open jeep at the gas station and did not see the plane but did see a thin line of smoke and then a sudden huge plume of smoke.

robxxx
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Jamul CA

Post by robxxx » Jun 13 2010 7:04 pm

Ive used a golite quest for about two years now, taken week long backpacks with it, a bit tight for space on long trips
but I carry ALOT of water. Shoulder straps can be painful if load gets over 50 lbs though. Ive learned alot from the
backpackinglight.com website about reducing weight and my greatest problem is always water !!

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 13 2010 7:11 pm

Well, one test of a pack, I think, is if you forget you are wearing it even if it is pretty heavy. It really does seem to fit well.

writelots
Wendipelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Jun 14 2010 9:55 am

I'm glad you liked the pack, Elizabeth, since I know at some point I recommended it. I find it very comfortable even with 30+ lbs in it - though like rob, if I'm carrying 6-7 liters of water, it's just overloading the poor thing.

On a side note, I took my Quest to the Rincons this weekend and for the first time, after over 400 miles, the pack has a small tear in the bottom - more than likely the result of one of the millions of sharp things out there in the desert. Guess I might have to resort to a patch. I'd be too sad to say goodbye now... :lone:
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 14 2010 12:13 pm

Yes, I do remember your recommendation! I am pleased with the pack. It is sort of small, but that will encourage me to look at a lighter bag, pad, and shelter, and to pack lighter, which, after all, was the whole point of buying it in the first place! And meanwhile, I did find I could strap the tent and sleeping pad on the outside of it. Tent on the bottom and Thermarest on the side.

The thing I can most easily make smaller right away is my cook kit, I think.

Thanks again, Writelots, and everyone else who chimed in!!! I am, quite literally, a HAPPY CAMPER!!!! :)

Return to “Packs”