how do you clean/disenfect your hydration pack?

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none

how do you clean/disenfect your hydration pack

do not use hydration packs
6%
never clean it
18%
hot water
6%
cold water
No votes
lemon or lime juice
No votes
baking soda
6%
salt
No votes
dish soap
12%
denture tablets
12%
degreaser
No votes
bleach
24%
vinegar
No votes
use a brush
No votes
leave in sun to dry out
6%
tic tac mint
No votes
hydration cleaning tabs
No votes
store in freezer
12%

Total votes: 17

azdesertfather
Peacopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

how do you clean/disenfect your hydration pack?

Post by azdesertfather » Oct 31 2010 8:24 pm

OK, I would love for everyone to chime in on how you clean/disenfect your hydration pack/bladder (that is, if you actually do :o ).

I have heard so many things:
1. Fill it halfway with water and microwave it until the water gets hot (but not too hot to boil).
2. Using Camelpack hydration cleaning tablets
3. Baking Soda - Bicarbonate of Soda (Mix baking soda with water and allow it to soak in the bladder - anywhere from an hour to overnight. If you are getting ready to use it the next day, it's best to allow it to dry overnight. How much baking soda? I've seen recommendations from 2 tablespoons to half a cup, mixed with hot water to help it dissolve. After it soaks, rinse thoroughly with warm water.)
4. Baking Soda and Lemon or Lime Juice (This combination is also recommended, but be warned that it produces a foaming action. Mix a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a couple of cups of water, put it into the hydration bladder. Now add a similar amount of lemon juice or lime juice and be prepared for the bubbling. Allow that to sit for 30 minutes to overnight and rinse thoroughly with warm water.)
5. Denture Cleaning Tablets (Drop them into water in the pack and allow it to work for 15 minutes as they recommend for dentures. Rinse thoroughly. Some recommend not getting the ones with mint flavor unless you want your water to always taste minty fresh.)
6. Baking Soda and Vinegar (Fill the bladder, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar and shake it, then add 1 tablespoon baking powder then shake it. Now drain and rinse thoroughly. This is reported to be good to remove the chlorine taste after bleaching the bladder.)
7. Bleach Solution (Add a capful or teaspoon of bleach to enough water to fill the reservoir. Allow to bleach for an hour to overnight. Rinse very thoroughly with 4 or more changes of water. I would recommend then following that with the baking soda and lemon juice or vinegar to help remove the bleach flavor. But this is the best way to kill fungus and bacteria, especially if you see visible growth.)
8. Water and a brush only
9. Leave out in the sun

The ideas go on and on. I wonder which you think is best because (1) it has the least problems with taste lingering in the bladder and (2) killing any bacteria in the reservoir, tube and mouthpiece. I have one of my bladders that actually has this slimy film building up, so it's probably time :D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: how do you clean/disenfect your hydration pack?

Post by big_load » Oct 31 2010 8:30 pm

Most of the time I use hot water and a little dishwashing detergent. I cases where the bladder got slimy and disgusting, I've used both the denture tablets and bleach solution approaches. Both require some care to avoid lingering flavors. Too much bleach will leave a taste that a thousand rinses won't erase. Baking soda and vinegar do help, as you've noted.

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Oct 31 2010 9:02 pm

boxed wine has always gotten the stale water taste out of mine ... :D
smoke it

The_Eagle
The Bunyan Blind Raptor
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Oct 31 2010 11:22 pm

I've used the Denture Tablets with good results.
Try the wintergreen flavor!
Make sure to get the solution down into the hose also.
I then air dry in the warm sun.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

Andy679
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Andy679 » Nov 01 2010 1:54 am

Baking Soda and hot water for like an hour or two, done.

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Nov 01 2010 5:49 am

I use Bleach... rinsing after?... never thought about that. :sl:
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 01 2010 6:07 am

Bleach solution, rinse well, and don't forget to also run clear water through the hose after you ran bleach water through it!! I'm a swimmer and am ok with chlorine!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

SSpranKK
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa,AZ

Post by SSpranKK » Nov 01 2010 6:11 am

I usually use soap or bleach and multiple rinses of hot water. Air dry and then I store my bladder and hose in the freezer between uses,keeps anything from growing in it.
Thanks!
SSpranKK

Sun_Ray
Javakaipelli

Post by Sun_Ray » Nov 01 2010 8:34 am

Wife and I use #7....bleach about once a month.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Nov 01 2010 9:14 am

A 10-15% bleach solution is sufficient to keep by bags April-fresh (even when I forgot about one once and black stuff started growing in the tube... had to actually scrub it that time :o )

BobP
Cairn Reaper

Post by BobP » Nov 01 2010 9:18 am

PLC92084 wrote:black stuff started growing in the tube
been there done that :yuck:
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Nov 01 2010 9:41 am

SSpranKK wrote:then I store my bladder and hose in the freezer between uses,keeps anything from growing in it.
+1
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Nov 01 2010 9:47 am

What are folks putting in their containers? If water is all you use them for you shouldn't have to worry too much about microbial growth. A good hot water flushing after use and air drying ought to be sufficient. It's your own native flora, so you won't get ill from them. Hand hygiene to prevent microbes from others sources is the best bet to keep nasty microbes out of the unit. You shouldn't have spore forming bacteria to need bleach, but that isn't a bad thing if it won't break down the material. Avoid Clostridium difficile!
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Nov 01 2010 10:10 am

Jim_H wrote:If water is all you use them for you shouldn't have to worry too much about microbial growth.
The nastiest growth I ever got was from a drinking water tap at an NSFS campground. Within two days, the containers I filled from it were occupied by filmy brown slime.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Nov 01 2010 10:22 am

Sounds like the tap itself, but not the water was contaminated, if the tap was the source of the contamination. Still, brown slime molds while nasty probably won't make you sick. I'm also assuming people fill up and wash them at home. If that tap is bad, then forget about cleaning the things.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 01 2010 10:56 am

Every couple uses I fill mine with water and a hefty dose of lemon juice, give it a good shake, let it sit for an hour or so, and then drain it completely through the mouth piece. That seems to do the trick and keeps me from using chemicals.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Nov 01 2010 7:59 pm

When I feel it's necessary I use dishwasher detergent, shake it up, rinse it out several times, including the hose. Keeping it open to the dry AZ air with a special bag hanger after each trip has resulted in never having any problems. People in moister climates probably have other issues.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

SkyIslander18
Lucky Catchapelli
City, State: Small Town USA

Post by SkyIslander18 » Nov 01 2010 9:28 pm

I soak mine in hot water with citrus dish detergent for about an hour and run a bladder pipe cleaner through the hose & mouth piece. Then hang dry and throw into the freezer. I once filled mine with gatorade and forgot to empty it, a few weeks later I opened it and it was full of thick fuzzy gatorade. Had to throw that one away !

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 02 2010 9:43 am

I am so frugal that I would not have thrown that one away. After getting a brush down it with hot water and detergent, I then would have soaked it for awhile in a bleach solution.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Nov 02 2010 4:56 pm

You have to clean them?
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Return to “Packs”