how do you clean/disenfect your hydration pack?

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none

how do you clean/disenfect your hydration pack

do not use hydration packs
6%
never clean it
18%
hot water
6%
cold water
No votes
lemon or lime juice
No votes
baking soda
6%
salt
No votes
dish soap
12%
denture tablets
12%
degreaser
No votes
bleach
24%
vinegar
No votes
use a brush
No votes
leave in sun to dry out
6%
tic tac mint
No votes
hydration cleaning tabs
No votes
store in freezer
12%

Total votes: 17

azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

how do you clean/disenfect your hydration pack?

Post by azdesertfather » Oct 31 2010 8:24 pm

OK, I would love for everyone to chime in on how you clean/disenfect your hydration pack/bladder (that is, if you actually do :o ).

I have heard so many things:
1. Fill it halfway with water and microwave it until the water gets hot (but not too hot to boil).
2. Using Camelpack hydration cleaning tablets
3. Baking Soda - Bicarbonate of Soda (Mix baking soda with water and allow it to soak in the bladder - anywhere from an hour to overnight. If you are getting ready to use it the next day, it's best to allow it to dry overnight. How much baking soda? I've seen recommendations from 2 tablespoons to half a cup, mixed with hot water to help it dissolve. After it soaks, rinse thoroughly with warm water.)
4. Baking Soda and Lemon or Lime Juice (This combination is also recommended, but be warned that it produces a foaming action. Mix a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a couple of cups of water, put it into the hydration bladder. Now add a similar amount of lemon juice or lime juice and be prepared for the bubbling. Allow that to sit for 30 minutes to overnight and rinse thoroughly with warm water.)
5. Denture Cleaning Tablets (Drop them into water in the pack and allow it to work for 15 minutes as they recommend for dentures. Rinse thoroughly. Some recommend not getting the ones with mint flavor unless you want your water to always taste minty fresh.)
6. Baking Soda and Vinegar (Fill the bladder, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar and shake it, then add 1 tablespoon baking powder then shake it. Now drain and rinse thoroughly. This is reported to be good to remove the chlorine taste after bleaching the bladder.)
7. Bleach Solution (Add a capful or teaspoon of bleach to enough water to fill the reservoir. Allow to bleach for an hour to overnight. Rinse very thoroughly with 4 or more changes of water. I would recommend then following that with the baking soda and lemon juice or vinegar to help remove the bleach flavor. But this is the best way to kill fungus and bacteria, especially if you see visible growth.)
8. Water and a brush only
9. Leave out in the sun

The ideas go on and on. I wonder which you think is best because (1) it has the least problems with taste lingering in the bladder and (2) killing any bacteria in the reservoir, tube and mouthpiece. I have one of my bladders that actually has this slimy film building up, so it's probably time :D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

azdesertfather

Re: how do you clean/disenfect your hydration pack?

Post by azdesertfather » Mar 05 2011 5:35 pm

Interesting tips from camelbak.com website ...

1. Clean with lemon juice in the end, to get rid of any vinegar/bleach taste.
2. To prevent mold or any other fun stuff growing in your bladder when not in use, they recommend emptying out all the water and placing the whole thing in the freezer.

I have a tube that I have tried cleaning now for several days, I finally came to my senses and realized several hours of futile cleaning is not worth the expense of replacing it. The inner lining of plastic in the tube is actually peeling out, and because it has some sort of latex in it, the cleaning brush is a waste of time. Even a coat hanger won't get it out! ](*,) Interesting though, the tubes are really hard to find right now, most places are out of stock, including rei.com and camelpak.com. I think they are phasing them out and going to another kind.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Mar 05 2011 5:44 pm

I think they want you to buy thirty plus dollar bladder attached, ridiculous IMO. A few on here use the Walmart? hydration pack for twenty or thirty and seem happy with it.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather » Mar 08 2011 8:28 am

If anyone knows where to buy the camelbak tube replacements online or locally that still have any in stock, could you let me know? Everywhere I have checked are out of stock, even rei.com, amazon.com, ridersdiscount.com, indysuperbike.com, bikeman.com, even camelbak.com... this is crazy!

paulhubbard
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Mar 08 2011 8:42 am

I didn't look for availability or prices, but I did find this:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/product-cat ... stems.html
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Mar 08 2011 9:33 am

azdesertfather wrote:If anyone knows where to buy the camelbak tube replacements online or locally that still have any in stock, could you let me know?
Check-out your local Sport Chalet retail store and online. I have always found the Camelbak "insulated" water tube in stock. Camelbak is now redesigning their reservoir system to accommodate their redesigned packs http://www.hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtop ... =31&t=5993 so maybe the reason you can't find stock on the original design reservoir tubes.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Mar 08 2011 9:46 am

Since you have the old model seems unless you just have to have blue you could go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a clear tube cheap. The anti-bacterial self-cleaning micro organism is a gimmick anyhow, you should still clean 'em.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

xthine
City, State: Sedona, AZ

Post by xthine » Sep 28 2016 2:50 pm

Camelbak brush kit and Osprey cleaning tabs as needed (I use Nuun with my water).
Last edited by xthine on Sep 28 2016 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonCleghorn

Post by JasonCleghorn » Sep 28 2016 3:12 pm

I don't and I'm convinced its why I don't get sick, LOL. Builds character.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Sep 28 2016 3:21 pm

hot water and lemon juice
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Sep 28 2016 3:35 pm

Tequilla
Go find a LonelyCache

jonathanpatt
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Post by jonathanpatt » Sep 28 2016 3:43 pm

I haven't cleaned or dried my primary Camelbak bladder since I got it in 2012, I just add water to it every time I go on a hike—every week or less. I've never had any issues, and it's never formed any visible mold or anything. Camelbak bladders and tubes have some sort of antimicrobial "silver ion" compound impregnated into or coating the interior, and perhaps that is a factor. I of course only put water in it, never anything flavored.

knmurphy
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by knmurphy » Sep 28 2016 6:54 pm

Store it in the freezer after every use and you won't need to clean it.

tkknc

Post by tkknc » Oct 01 2016 8:20 am

For drying I use an aquarium pump, attached to the output hose.

skatchkins
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by skatchkins » Oct 05 2016 1:35 pm

I got a wife.
who cares about me a lot more than I do
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Oct 06 2016 8:37 am

@skatchkins
A man's success has a lot to do with the kind of woman he chooses to have in his life
* This truthful feel-good statement only becomes incredibly sexist if you reverse the genders.
Highway to hell

Return to “Packs”