Find
Map
MAP
A to Z
notifications my cmntsmy comments

where to buy pack

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
cw50must
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

where to buy pack

Post by cw50must » Feb 20 2012 5:21 pm

My girlfriend and I have good day packs, but now we are in the market for some good bigger packs, for some longer trips.
Tried on a bunch at REI, but would like to check out some other places.
Are there any other local stores similar to REI?
WE also checked out Bass pro, Sports Chalet, and Dick's, the selection at some of these places was not so good.

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Re: where to buy pack

Post by WilliamnWendi » Feb 20 2012 5:47 pm

I haven't been there yet but "Low Gear" in Tempe has been recommended to me for good packs. It's kind of far for us to run on over but you being for Mesa might find it convenient. Hiking Shack is a legend.
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 20 2012 6:05 pm

Look at some of the other forum threads, also:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=609
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2158
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Boscoaz
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Boscoaz » Feb 21 2012 9:54 am

Lower Gear in Tempe (northwest corner of McClintock and University) is good. They allow you to rent a pack that you are interested in buying which is great way to be sure if fits right. I was buying some treking poles and he let me just take them for the weekend to see if they would help (had to leave a security deposit though). Dallas is the owner over there and he is great!

The Hiking Shack is another good place. The people over there are always real knowledgeable and helpful.
BoscoAZ
Action Conquers Fear - Peter Nivio Zarlenga

cw50must
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by cw50must » Feb 23 2012 2:15 pm

Ok thanks guys, the one in Tempe is just down the street.

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by WilliamnWendi » Feb 23 2012 3:50 pm

@cw50must
Let us(me) know what your experience was. Tell them your HAZ, I'm sure they'll have 50% discount/markup depending on who went there last. :lol:
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 24 2012 8:50 pm

WilliamnWendi wrote:Tell them your HAZ, I'm sure they'll have 50% discount/markup depending on who went there last.
:sl:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

cw50must
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by cw50must » Mar 04 2012 1:20 pm

I checked them both out this past week. Lower gear was good, the lady working said we just missed the owner that day and that he is the best at anwsering questions. We also got some info on their rental program, might even rent the tent.
Hacking shack was good too, the guy there was very helpful. Seems they mostly just have Osprey and Dueter.

Canyonram
Seed Gatherin' Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Canyonram » Mar 06 2012 8:49 am

Backpacker Magazine has their 2012 Gear Review issue out. You can view their ratings for packs, tents, boots, etc. online at http://www.backpacker.com/gear-guide-20 ... wsletter02

If the link doesn't work, go to http://www.backpacker.com and do a search of '2012 Gear Guide.'

The pack reviews cover 26 pages of products! You can do your shopping in reverse by checking out the reviews/ratings then doing an Internet search on the manufacturer. Most have a list of stores where you can buy their product.

Once you have an idea of the pack you want: (1) See if it is locally available to try on or rent, (2) Double check with the manufacturer's website---you may get a better deal buying direct, (2) Check if it is available via ebay or on a forum website like this one, (3) new gear and/or gently used can be found---lots of people get the notion that they want to get into backpacking, purchase big, then realize sleeping on the ground and getting beat-up on the trail is really not for them----they then have that expensive pack collecting dust in the garage.

cw50must
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by cw50must » Oct 30 2012 8:37 am

Never Updated this as our trip got pushed back from may to the end of Sept. Got both our packs at Hiking Shack. The staff was great in helping us, and we enjoyed our Havasupai trip! :)

Return to “Packs”