Find
Map
MAP
A to Z
notifications my cmntsmy comments

Hydration packs

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
HAZopelli
City, State: Payson

Hydration packs

Post by Nighthiker » Dec 22 2002 7:49 pm

My old hydration pack is a 70oz Blackburn which works very well. I would like to get a 100oz hydration bladder, tube and mouthpiece. I don't need a pack and I noted the comments on Platypus, Blackburn is no longer in business so I guess I am looking for a Camelbak. Any idea where I can obtain without buying the pack ? And how do the current generation of Camelbak work ? I noted earlier models the bladder would change color, the mouthpiece and fill cap tended to leak. Any positive experiences with the current Camelbaks ?

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Hydration packs

Post by outdoor_lover » Aug 28 2015 3:44 pm

@Shnipe
I can't really compare as all I've had is Ospreys, but I sure like them...The one I have now is almost 3 Years old....And their Customer Service was fabulous when a Leak popped up on my First One...It was a Defect and they sent a New One right out....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 28 2015 5:53 pm

I use some bleach in water to clean my hydration bladder. Works well, and you know it's going to kill the bad bugs. But the vinegar or baking soda that others mentioned both sound nicer! However if I rinse mine several times there is no ill effect.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Aug 28 2015 6:59 pm

Shnipe wrote:Has anyone compared the Ospreys and camelbaks. Any real preference points ?
I don't like the magnets on Ospreys, and although convenient, they're heavier than I'd like. Camelbaks are on the heavy side, too.

I use a 3l Platypus with a Camelbak bite valve and Camelbak cuttoff valve. It's great for weight and flavor, but slow to dry after cleaning.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Aug 28 2015 7:01 pm

azbackpackr wrote:I use some bleach in water to clean my hydration bladder.
I once used too much bleach and the flavor lingered. I almost threw up the next time I used the bladder. Now my stomach gurgles at the slightest taste of bleach.

friendofThundergod
ˈpōət kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Aug 28 2015 8:02 pm

I know someone will accuse me of exaggerating, but I have been rotating three Army issued 100oz bladders since 08 and never put a drop of any type of cleaning agent in them, only hot water and storage with screw lid open...that includes a trip to Iraq and Afganyland..I have also blown through or quit using a few camelbak ones as well...but I think we are over thinking this cleaning them thing... :lol: After all its just water...the only draw back of the Army ones I use, is they say they are unsafe in an NBC environment ;)
Attachments
image.jpg

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Aug 28 2015 8:13 pm

friendofThundergod wrote:but I think we are over thinking this cleaning them thing
unless tortoise is in your username :sk:

I once hiked with a person ( whose identity I will protect here on ) didn't put a lot of effort into the cleaning phase. Midway through our hike the defendant went to refresh with a nice sip from their hydration pack. Only to find no agua! Upon further review the entire tube was a solid white tube of snot-esque buildup.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Aug 28 2015 8:18 pm

@friendofThundergod
I agree. I actually don't understand the whole cleaning thing. I empty mine when I get home. I hang it to dry. Unless you put flavoring powders or non-water liquids in there, there's no reason it ever needs to be cleaned if you simply take care of it.

My tent doesn't get mildewed after rain either. But then again, I don't leave it bundled up in the bottom my backpack for the next month either!

:M2C:
Ja vi elsker dette landet

friendofThundergod
ˈpōət kokopelli

Post by friendofThundergod » Aug 28 2015 8:24 pm

@joe bartels
I need to see a study that says "bugs" just miraculously show up in unused bladders lol Although, I do drink Phoenix water unfiltered, so maybe I have lower standards..and you putting vanilla extract in yours :roll: you elitist :lol: Do you also throw rose petals in your bath?

friendofThundergod
ˈpōət kokopelli

Post by friendofThundergod » Aug 28 2015 8:25 pm

@chumley
I think its a little too much down time between hikes :whistle:

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Aug 28 2015 8:38 pm

If the inside feels slick, it needs cleaning. I haven't had any issues in the last ten years I recall. When I hiked more in the once to twice a month range the petri dish bladder was a marvel for science.

Air drying is probably easiest for the masses. However that does involve a step of emptying it and hanging.

Mine stays in the freezer frozen full ready to go, down to half full in the winter. While I understand it's more work for the body to process cold liquid, hot water is nasty. Typically lasts about three years with weekly use as the freezing slowly distorts the threaded inlet.

I'm more of a shower type of guy. If you're into baths try organic calendula, chamomile, jasmine, lavender and rose flowers. Then after you can boil out the impurities for a nice tea.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Aug 28 2015 8:42 pm

joe bartels wrote:If the inside feels slick, it needs cleaning.
That's the test I use.

Thoreau
Gadget Kokopelli

Post by Thoreau » Aug 30 2015 4:04 pm

I've been through more than a few iterations of the Camelbak's and generally haven't had any issues with them. I tended towards the Milspec series to get the QD attachments before they started filtering down to the adventurist market. Makes refills easy with the Katadyn water filter.

The latest Camelbak's have a new lid design that only requires ~1/4 turn. First experience with that was kinda leaky. Not sure if I had a bad o ring or just some debris on the seal, but after a couple more uses it seemed to seal up okay.

Then I picked up a Source hydration bladder and haven't looked back. The 'glass-like' material really does keep anything from working its way into the plastic, and what little does build up over time wipes away easily, especially with the top opening up like it does.

http://sourcetacticalgear.com/reservoir ... valve.html

If anything, I'd like to see them remove the screw-on front opening entirely as I find I never use it. Less weight/bulk/bits to fail. The hose is bombproof, and the bite valve took a little getting used to but flows so much better than any Camelbak I've ever had. Little things like the right-angle valve, braided-nylon hose cover, and bite valve cover (that is still tethered, but won't get in the way like the Camelbak ones seem to) made it worth it for me.

Can't recall the brand, but the Source bladders were branded for one of the backpacker-type brands for a while too (and may still be.)

Edit: It's worth noting that the QD system they use is compatible with most others. So if you're already invested in a filter setup with the connections, no problemo. On my last backpacking trip I rigged up a Sawyer Mini filter to output via QD and it worked remarkably well (despite being slower than my older pump-style Katadyn.)

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » Aug 30 2015 5:24 pm

joe bartels wrote:I once hiked with a person ( whose identity I will protect here on ) didn't put a lot of effort into the cleaning phase. Midway through our hike the defendant went to refresh with a nice sip from their hydration pack. Only to find no agua! Upon further review the entire tube was a solid white tube of snot-esque buildup.
I rarely ever clean my camelbak bladders. I have had a few of the hoses go bad. They seemed to have a liner in them that will eventually separate from the tube. That will clog the tube up and inhibit flow. It's not that the tube was dirty, it's just that the tube reached its end of life.
Go find a LonelyCache

Return to “Packs”