Find
Map
MAP
A to Z
notifications my cmntsmy comments

Hydration packs

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
HAZopelli
City, State: Payson

Hydration packs

Post by Nighthiker » Dec 22 2002 7:49 pm

My old hydration pack is a 70oz Blackburn which works very well. I would like to get a 100oz hydration bladder, tube and mouthpiece. I don't need a pack and I noted the comments on Platypus, Blackburn is no longer in business so I guess I am looking for a Camelbak. Any idea where I can obtain without buying the pack ? And how do the current generation of Camelbak work ? I noted earlier models the bladder would change color, the mouthpiece and fill cap tended to leak. Any positive experiences with the current Camelbaks ?

azrocks
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by azrocks » Mar 14 2003 7:40 pm

I bought the largest MSR, which I think is 2 gallons, and it looks really tough.
I only used it once because the first time the water tasted of plastic, and it
seemed to still taste bad after several rinses. I left it out in the sun part filled
for a few days, and that seems to have worked. I just tasted the water in it
and it tastes good, so it's back in favor for the next long hike.

Has anyone seen an inline filter for a bladder ?
I fill my bladders with reverse osmosis water that's chlorine free, and often
pick one up that's been festering for weeks, and I wonder what's been growing
in there. If you clean a bladder with dilute bleach, the water tastes bad for ages.
So I'd like a filter in the tube that removes bacteria etc. It wouldn't need much
capacity, as the water is pretty clean.

mttgilbert
HAZopelli
City, State: Denver, CO

inline filters and bad tasting water

Post by mttgilbert » Mar 14 2003 9:10 pm

the quickest cure for funny tasting water is to soak the bladder with a baking soda/water solution (a tablespoon per 50oz is probably more than enough). Let the bladder sit for a couple of hours (overnight is the best) and the funny taste should be gone.
Last edited by mttgilbert on Jun 23 2003 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CGJeff
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by CGJeff » Mar 15 2003 11:51 am

I use a teaspoon of vanilla to get the plastic taste out of mine. Just pour it in with your first fill up of water, and the plastic taste is gone. (It minimizes the taste of Iodine too!) :)
Don't worry, be happy!
CGJeff

bryanmertz
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by bryanmertz » Mar 18 2003 4:01 pm

The Camelback's are still pretty good. But I think you can find a better deal by looking at some of the off-brand names. Actually - I use a pack from SuperGo - a mountain bike shop. There is a store local in Chandler - on Warner I think.

I have also found that it is good to have a couple different sizes depending on what you are doing and what you need to carry.

-Bryan

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Mar 18 2003 4:44 pm

Here's a cool tip that I just tried. If you use an MSR Miniworks filter, but don't want the hassle of filtering into a Nalgene bottle then pouring into your Camelback, you can remove the bite valve and stick the Camelback tube right onto the little "nipple" protrusion on the bottom of the filter. Voila - filter directly into your Camelback!
Where is the "dislike" button?

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Mar 18 2003 8:26 pm

Way-to-go cactuscat! That will surely take "Tip of the year 2003" award! I just checked and it works like a charm with my PUR.

This will be a great advantage on summer canyoneering trips. Increase the ice block in the bladder to nearly solid!

---------------------
The bike masters at Ray & Kyrene soldout to SuperGo
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Mar 18 2003 9:31 pm

Be sure to pick up a spare bite valve to replace the one that falls into the stream while you are filtering, or gets lost in the pocket for a day and a half.

mttgilbert
HAZopelli

Post by mttgilbert » Mar 20 2003 5:36 pm

The same works for the first need water purifiers. I have one of the extreme gear camelbaks (military version) and the drinking tubes all come with a quick disconect at the bite valve so they can be plugged into a gas mask. Anyway I picked up a second quick disconnect piece and attached it to the 'out' plug on the filter, now I don't even have to worry about spilling the water thats still in the bag, I just turn the valve off, disconect the mouthpiece, plug in the filter, turn the valve on and pump. Great idea cactuscat.
By the way, I have used the camelbak mule, blowfish, and hawg, and I have found the military line of bags to be far superior in ruggedness, duribility, and functionality to the other models. Of course the price tag reflects this, but I would say it is worth it. These models are not readily available at stores but they may be special ordered through Larada's Military Surplus. I use the Transformer model, It has three detachable bags that can be used in any combination for a range of capacities (110ci, 500ci or 950ci). The bladder holds 102oz (3.1 liters). This range is enough for the same bakpack to be used for short hikes, overnight summer trips and everything in between. More information on both military and civilian models can be found at http://www.camelbak.com

Greg Jackson
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Greg Jackson » Mar 20 2003 9:20 pm

Matt

I use the MULE, but I've wanted something with a larger capacity. I've been to Camelbak's website before, but never went to that link. Looks like its time to spend some cash.

Thanks for the info!
Dog is my co-pilot.

plummer150
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Va Beach, Va

re:

Post by plummer150 » Mar 24 2003 2:57 pm

I've had two platypus bladders leak at the seams
Note to self: Don't buy em!
"IRONMAN" cometh, hiketh, destroyeth

no avatar
Dragon188
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Dragon188 » Mar 25 2003 1:09 pm

I have a very basic camelbak, bladder in a bag, that has served me well for 5 years. I use it primarily for backpacking. The only upgrade I have had to make on it is a an extension hose so it reaches from the back of my pack, and the shut off valve. The valve came in handy when an animal chewed on the bite valve. I could still use my camelbak just by moving the valve.
'Where ever you go, there you are'. Buckaroo Bonzai

mttgilbert
HAZopelli

Post by mttgilbert » Jun 23 2003 3:57 pm

I recently punctured the bladder to my camelbak, I left it lying around and something sharp went through it. Rather than buy a new bladder I went down to the hardware store and found bought a household adhesive made by dap. It was the only one that was claimed to be food-safe, and it only cost about $5. I applied about four thin coats on each side of the puncture and let it cure. I have used it for several trips now and not a drop has leaked.

Just thought I'd let everyone in on a cheap way to fix your bladder should it spring a leak.

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Hydration packs

Post by chumley » Aug 27 2015 3:35 pm

As promised ... it's TBT in the HAZ Forum! :y:
(That's Throwback Thursday for those who need social media acronym definitions ;) )

Let's re-live this thread on Hydration Packs from yesteryear!

btw, I miss Popular. :M2C:
Ja vi elsker dette landet

rwstorm
Car Campin Kopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Aug 27 2015 3:43 pm

chumley wrote:btw, I miss Popular.
So do I, and Yellow Front and Yates Army/Navy Store before them. And down Tucson way Bob's Bargain Barn. ;)

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Aug 27 2015 3:55 pm

CGJeff wrote:I use a teaspoon of vanilla to get the plastic taste out of mine.
I'll give it a whirl
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Aug 27 2015 4:16 pm

@joe bartels
Vanilla? As in extract? That stuff is generally 50-60 proof! No wonder it removes the taste of plastic. :lol:
Ja vi elsker dette landet

The_Dude
Hortipelli

Post by The_Dude » Aug 28 2015 8:02 am

My Camelbak 3 liter finally started getting that funky taste after 3 years of use (I do try to empty and dry it within a few days of hiking each week), I filled it up with some white wine vinegar and soaked it for a few hours. Rinsed it out, let it dry, and then rinsed and dried again. Funky taste/ smell is gone, and no lingering vinegar smell either. I will never use those fizzy cleaning tablets again...

Grasshopper
Detailapelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Aug 28 2015 8:38 am

When needed, I clean with "baking soda" then wash out and wash out again. This works well and with no smells or aftertaste.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Shnipe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Arizona

Post by Shnipe » Aug 28 2015 2:35 pm

I miss the Popular off 32nd and Greenway. Loved that store as a kid.

On topic. Using a 3l camelback military that came with a pack I got. Going to get an online sawyer put together for it. Has anyone compared the Ospreys and camelbaks. Any real preference points ?
The Striver grimly and gamely puts one foot in front of the other pushing forward up the trail.

AZWanderingBear
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by AZWanderingBear » Aug 28 2015 3:18 pm

Recently replaced my old and well used camelback 3L with the BONL Emerald 3L off of Amazon. Has a lot more features at about 1/3rd the cost of a similar camelback.

http://www.amazon.com/...
81lfgHMf4TL._SY679_.jpg
All you have is your fire...
And the place you need to reach

Return to “Packs”