Find
Map
MAP
A to Z
notifications my cmntsmy comments

Adding attachment points on shoulder straps

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
wha
Wafting Yelpopelli
City, State: Arizona

Adding attachment points on shoulder straps

Post by wha » Oct 13 2015 1:27 pm

I would like to add some attachment points for camera, etc. on the shoulder straps of my packs which have none. I have seen on other packs where these are fastened by sewing through the strap, padding and all. I don't have access to a sewing machine that I believe could handle this. I would hand sew, but I haven't thought of a way to keep the material compressed while I sew that would not be in the way. Any suggestions on how to do this, or other ways of attaching attachment points?

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Adding attachment points on shoulder straps

Post by nonot » Oct 13 2015 6:53 pm

if there is anything on your shoulder strap, you can always girth hitch the camera to it.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

johnny88
Lil' Kokopelli

Post by johnny88 » Oct 13 2015 8:05 pm

Could you post a photo of your pack's shoulder straps?

I've sewn stuff onto hipbelts before. The way I did it was: I ripped out the hipbelt stitching, removed the foam, sewed on what I needed to the bare fabric, inserted the foam again, and sewed it back up. I initially tried going through the foam directly by removing the presser foot, but that was a disaster.

wha
Wafting Yelpopelli
City, State: Arizona

Post by wha » Oct 13 2015 9:47 pm

@nonot, just the load lifter strap and a couple stretchy loops. I've hooked things on the load lifter in the past but that doesn't work well, and the stretchy loops won't support much.

@johnny, posting a photo below of my primary interest, a second generation Osprey Atmos, before they added a pound of weight. The strap has a lot of mesh and I'm not sure I could get that sewn up again properly.
strap.jpg

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » Oct 13 2015 10:09 pm

Go to Walgreens, they have these carry bags made for wheelchairs that will work well around your strap.
Go find a LonelyCache

The_Eagle
Eaglepelli
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Oct 13 2015 10:35 pm

@w h a
I have a similar stretchy attachment point on my pack that I wanted to attach a point and shoot camera case to. I used 1/2" double sided velcro tape.
One strap through the straps on the camera case and through the strap on the pack like yours. (keeps it from going up and down).
A second velcro strap through the camera case strap, and around the pack strap, keeps it from twisting.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

johnny88
Lil' Kokopelli

Post by johnny88 » Oct 14 2015 7:33 am

Yes, that would be difficult to put back together.

Maybe you could buy or sew a shoulder strap pouch like this:

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/store/p24/Sh ... ocket.html

The top clip could be secured to the load lifter/stretch strap, and the elastic band on the back of the pocket (which goes around the whole shoulder strap) would keep it stable. I think 2 elastic bands on the pocket would be more secure

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Oct 14 2015 2:32 pm

I'm not sure why you're thinking those Stretchy Loops aren't supporting much...I carry a Compact Camera on one of those all the Time when I'm Canyoneering and it does just fine. I have my Camera in a small Case and just attach a small Carabiner from the Case to the Loop and it's attached Tight enough to the Case that it doesn't flop around at all....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Oct 14 2015 6:54 pm

The Osprey stretchy loops are pretty weak, but the load lifter strap looks solid, you could sew right into the webbing, or if you just want, I would girth hitch the camera strap to that.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Return to “Packs”