Camelbak Rim Runner Vs Fourteener

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Camelbak Rim Runner Vs Fourteener

Post by SpiderLegs » Mar 17 2016 12:13 pm

Well it took only three years before my old Camelbak Rim Runner started tearing in spots and the side pockets now have a nice rip in them. Going to hit REI this weekend with my 20% off coupon and dividend and get a new pack. Anyone know if it's worth the extra $30 or so to get the Fourteener?

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Camelbak Rim Runner Vs Fourteener

Post by JasonCleghorn » Mar 17 2016 1:33 pm

SpiderLegs wrote:Well it took only three years before my old Camelbak Rim Runner started tearing in spots and the side pockets now have a nice rip in them. Going to hit REI this weekend with my 20% off coupon and dividend and get a new pack. Anyone know if it's worth the extra $30 or so to get the Fourteener?
I have the Fourteener and have at times wished it were smaller and at times wished it were bigger, LOL.

I've had zero problems with it though. Like, none.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Mar 17 2016 1:45 pm

I've been pretty happy with all the smaller Camelbak packs I've had over the years
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Mar 17 2016 2:39 pm

Jason Cleghorn wrote:I have the Fourteener and have at times wished it were smaller and at times wished it were bigger, LOL.
They have a couple of different sizes, which one do you have?

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Mar 17 2016 2:58 pm

In my opinion (and for my use) I believe my Fourteener 24 could have been the best CamelBak IF...
...it had TWO front/side waist pockets (like the HAWG-NV) instead of only one.

Now IF the HAWG-NV had two upper and one large lower pad like the Fourteener instead of the four smaller pads, being slightly smaller it would have fit my shorter-hike needs even better. For longer hikes, the Fourteener 24 works ok.

But... due to the lower pad hanging up on my belt every time I leaned over, I became a thorn-in-the-side to CamelBak with numerous calls first to explain the problem, then a more detailed explanation and finally how they could fix it... which I did by sewing a piece of material between the lower two pads.

Wonder of wonders, a year after all my calls they came out with the Fourteener, which addressed the lower pad problem, only to draw more complaints due to removing one of the pockets. Also, they STILL zip open toward the back, which means they open frequently when going through heavy brush.

But until and unless CamelBak (or anyone else comes up with a medium-sized pack with two front/side pockets) if I was in the market for another pack I'd get another Fourteener 24.
CannondaleKid

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Post by JasonCleghorn » Mar 17 2016 3:31 pm

SpiderLegs wrote:
Jason Cleghorn wrote:I have the Fourteener and have at times wished it were smaller and at times wished it were bigger, LOL.
They have a couple of different sizes, which one do you have?
I believe the 24.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Mar 17 2016 5:00 pm

I'm leaning towards the 20. Can't remember the last time I had my pack really full.

Return to “Packs”