Find
Map
MAP
A to Z
notifications my cmntsmy comments

How Much Weight Can A Day Pack Handle?

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

How Much Weight Can A Day Pack Handle?

Post by SpiderLegs » Jul 08 2016 5:24 pm

When I hike with my SO I have to slow my pace way down. As a way to compensate and get my heart rate up I've taken to rucking a little bit. I've been throwing in 5 lb weight plates and adjust according to the length of the hike. Anyone have an idea of how much weight a Camelbak Fourteener or similar pack can hold before the seams bust open?

chumley
Knock On My Door
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: How Much Weight Can A Day Pack Handle?

Post by chumley » Jul 08 2016 6:00 pm

I have an REI Flash 15 which I use as a day pack when on backpacking trips ... I also use it to carry water from a nearby creek or lake to extinguish a campfire.

While I don't usually manage to get it filled all the way to the top, 15 liters of water weighs over 30lbs. The pack holds a nearly full load of water just fine, so I'd say at least 25lbs on mine.

To be fair however, I carry it using two hands on the top of the pack rather than putting all that weight on just the two straps.

The Flash is made to be really light however and the straps are pretty flimsy. Your pack may handle more.

Alternately you could buy an Osprey day pack. If it ever breaks, just send it in for a new one.
I've been waiting for you...

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jul 08 2016 6:20 pm

SpiderLegs wrote:how much weight a Camelbak Fourteener can hold
I've racked up over 300 hikes with my Fourteener 24, regularly carrying 15-20 lbs (in as well as hanging on) and have carried 25-30 pounds more than two dozen hikes with no seam issues.
The only outward signs of wear are a few small holes in the mesh at the bottom of the foam pad, but already it has lasted by far longer than any other CamelBak I've owned so I'm not too concerned.

Although I wish it had a pocket on BOTH sides, my biggest complaint is the zipper on the right side pocket opens to the REAR. So... on a number of occasions it has been pulled open while going through thick brush, causing a loss a various pieces of gear in the process. ](*,)

Zippers on side pockets should ALWAYS open to the front!
CannondaleKid
Change Phoenix website: PHOTOS & VIDEOS

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 08 2016 6:50 pm

I carry a beefy daypack (Osprey Kestrel 30 or 38, depending on the trip), which can comfortably handle 30-35 lbs total. The larger one is heavier than some full-sized UL packs, but it has a solid suspension.

The_Dude
Hortipelli

Post by The_Dude » Jul 08 2016 8:55 pm

I have a Camelback Rim Runner that I have gotten up to about 30 pounds in on occasion, usually doing the sherpa thing for the family if we go out for a hike. I have used this pack for just about all my non backpacking trips for the last 4 years and it has virtually no signs of wear except for the color is fading, and it does have that good stale sweat aroma. Most of the time I keep it about 15 pounds with water and my usual gear, but I have certainly loaded it up for the longer day hikes. A couple stout rocks will work like a champ for cross training too.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 09 2016 4:25 am

The_Dude wrote:stale sweat aroma
They are WASHABLE, you know? :D ;)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Jul 09 2016 6:04 am

Just read up on how to make little sandbags in 5 & 10 lb increments. My thought is that the sand will be a little more forgiving than a metal plate pushing through the fabric or at a seam. They do make packs specifically for rucking, but not at that point yet.

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Jul 09 2016 7:20 am

@SpiderLegs
i use my climbing ropes and/or water bottles for weight

The_Dude
Hortipelli

Post by The_Dude » Jul 09 2016 9:40 am

@azbackpackr
Somehow I feel like that might affect the structural integrity. Or at the very least, it seems to go against the spirit of things... :D

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » Jul 09 2016 10:23 am

trekkin_gecko wrote:i use my climbing ropes and/or water bottles for weight
That's what I've been doing but I'm thinking of switching to kitty litter. It's cheap.
Go find a LonelyCache

Nighthiker
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jul 09 2016 3:58 pm

I use military gear, Camelbak Mule type and I may use the M1951 Harness with but pack or I may opt for my Alice Pack though I replaced the frame with one from Tactical Tailor. I tend to pack for an overnighter (and in most case an over day). If you would like a good work out review the information for the Wildland Firefighter pack test. Obtain the 45 lbs. weight vest and head for the track at the High School. I may also wear while climbing the bleachers.
jk

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 09 2016 4:19 pm

@Nighthiker
Yes, a serious suspension like that really makes a difference. My McHale pack, with bayonets removed and rolled down to daypack size can still easily handle 60 pounds. It's not much fun to carry any more than that, but it's good for workouts and necessary for those multi-day dry stretches.

jonathanpatt
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Post by jonathanpatt » Jul 09 2016 5:19 pm

I often have 25 – 35 lbs in my tactical Camelbak HAWG with no issues.

flagscott
Professor Pelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Jul 11 2016 7:47 am

I'm just curious what people are carrying (besides water or extra weight for training) that can get their daypack up to 25 or 30 lbs? Unless I have a long water carry or several days of food, my backpacking pack doesn't even get close to that weight. And my daypack is basically however much water I need + food + maybe 1-2 more pounds for the pack (which weighs maybe 12 oz.), any extra clothing, car keys, phone, etc.

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Jul 11 2016 6:40 pm

2 gallons water=16 lbs
food and snacks=1.5? lbs
jacket=2 lbs
pant legs (sometimes worn)=1? lb
go-to-kit including emergency PLB=2? lbs
pack itself=2 lbs
Extra two sets of GPS batteries and maybe the micro camera trippod=0.5? lbs
Good camera=2 lbs
Extra Lens=1 lbs

That's about 28 lbs. If I bring an long sleeve shirt in addition to a rain jacket I'm probably creeping up to 30 lbs.

Some people's definition of a dayhike is different than others. To me a dayhike is where I will hike all day (8-12 hrs.)

If your backpack isn't that heavy, I really wonder if you are weighing everything, or excluding food and water weight. Add a little more for a bigger pack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent, filter, and cooking gear, extra clothes and some extra days of food and I usually start off at 40ish lbs. Water is the biggest variable, and sometimes you can be fortunate enough to get by on less.

On dayhikes I can elect to ditch the jacket and the extra shirt or both, but it isn't usually practical on multi-day trips to not bring at least one of the two.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Return to “Packs”