Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
billabel23
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Anthem, AZ

Any good mountain biking trails?

Post by billabel23 » Jun 22 2007 12:44 pm

I have been looking for a site similar to this one, only for mountain biking trails. I haven't found anything yet where you don't have to pay. Does anybody know of some good wesites for this?

mttgilbert
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Denver, CO

Re: Any good mountain biking trails?

Post by mttgilbert » Jun 23 2007 9:21 am

You can sort the trails on this site using the "Hike Indexes" drop-down on the left of the top banner. Check out the "mountain biking" index. Otherwise, I don't know of any biking specific sites - Sorry!
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jun 23 2007 10:23 pm

I can't recommend a site, but these two books rock.
http://hikearizona.com/books.php?sort=&cat=3

The Payson one is getting old but you won't find a better book.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jun 24 2007 9:53 pm

For some reason, there are no good websites on mtn biking in AZ. Believe me, I looked. Are you looking for local trails or anywhere in the state? There are fantastic trails in Prescott, Sedona, Flag, the White Mtns, Tucson, Globe (for real), and of course Phx. My absolute favorite trail right now is Sixshooter Canyon, down Pinal Mtn, outside of Globe. Look it up on this site and read my trip report from last year. I just did this trail 2 more times recently. It is in better shape than last year.

As cheesy as the book is, Cosmic Ray's book is actually pretty good.

Not AZ, but Gallup, NM is freakin' awesome! About a 5 hour drive. It's 6500 ft elevation, so it's doable in the summer and some of the trails start at 8000 ft!
Also, if you're into gravity, Bootleg Canyon, in Boulder City, NV is awesome as well. Vegas is close by! Bring armour!

matt
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 26 2007 6:05 am

Some good trails in the White Mtns. are: South Fork #95. Indian Springs to West Fork of the Black River. Murray Basin. Luna Lake Loop. Los Burros. The Overland Trail. Sons of the Pioneers. Country Club Loop. Panorama Trail. (Some of these are in the Lakeside Ranger District, some in the Springerville RD. Get maps at the ranger's office, or look online at Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest for those ranger districts. Many of these trails are not found on HAZ (yet!)

Good book not well-known, for the whole state, very thorough, is: Mountain Bike America: Arizona, by Paul Beakley. Paul came to our local mtn. bike festival every year while we were still having it. I would really like more people to know about this book because I think it's better than a lot of the other books. It is 360 pages long and covers the whole state.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jun 26 2007 7:11 am

azbackpackr wrote:Good book not well-known, for the whole state, very thorough, is: Mountain Bike America: Arizona, by Paul Beakley. Paul came to our local mtn. bike festival every year while we were still having it. I would really like more people to know about this book because I think it's better than a lot of the other books. It is 360 pages long and covers the whole state.
Yeah that book is ok too. It's not the greatest if you're looking for singletrack rides though. There are too many dirt road rides in that book. Good maps and directions.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

billabel23
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Anthem, AZ

Post by billabel23 » Jun 27 2007 11:22 pm

Thank you all for your great advise. I will be going to the bookstore tomorrow to do some shopping. :bigth:

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jul 08 2007 7:20 pm

There's plenty of information on mountain biking on the mtbr.com forums. This link will get you to the Arizona forum:
http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66
Be sure to click on the link in the top right "Visitors - Read here first" as it has local (and some not so local) trail information.
CannondaleKid
Change Phoenix website: PHOTOS & VIDEOS

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Aug 15 2012 6:30 pm

This would probably be a good mountain biking trail if you have a good set of brass ones.... :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsDjh7oAAP0

Warning: This video does have strong language in it....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Hippy
Grand-opelli
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Aug 20 2012 8:41 am

I'm seconding CK on this, http://forums.mtbr.com/
that's where my best friend hangs out and finds mtn biking buddies often. i wish i could find some but i'm not a good rider booo!

Return to “Bike”