Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Guess I should start biking?

Postby Jim_H » May 15 2012 9:04 am

After I moved to Arizona in August of 2006, I nearly stopped riding my bike for exercise or recreation. Only at rare times did I go out and ride, and often I found it boring or way too painful for my neck and arm joints. Especially after trail rides south of town. A collision on NAU's campus in October of 2006 played a part in that, but I had some issues from riding for the previous decade. An adrenaline ride up and down Snowbowl Road was fun, but something about doing highway speeds (up to 57 MPH) on a bike just does not safe. Now I find myself in a location with limited hiking opportunities, and even if you enjoy nearly level or level hikes, the access issues and length of these shorter hikes is not something where I see a high return of hiking challenge for my investment of travel time or vehicle wear. Skeleton Mesa is a perfect example of that. The hike was practically over before I felt like it was getting going, and the road in and out was far from good for my aging auto.

So, if you got through all that, the point: I guess it's time to start riding my mountain bike again. :wrt: Not sure how I feel about it, but I suppose it will be good to keep active, exercise, and see the country side.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Re: Guess I should start biking?

Postby Tough_Boots » May 15 2012 9:14 am

I bought a new road bike a month and a half ago and been having the time of my life with it. Speeding along with downtown Phoenix traffic is a blast.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Postby Jim_H » May 15 2012 9:18 am

I would be afraid the ride the highways out here, but the dirt roads are probably safe. Traffic goes fast, and any accident will probably be my last. I know that can happen on dirt roads, but I hope people would not be as aggressive passing me on a dirt road.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Postby CannondaleKid » May 15 2012 9:38 am

I'd say go for it Jim... some activity outside is better than none.

I had road and mountain bikes when I moved to AZ in '02 but after two contacts by passing vehicles (handle bar clipped once and knocked down when a car crossed the bike lane behind me into the right-turn lane... he never stopped even for his right turn on red) I got rid of the road bike and took almost completely to the trails. If I want a quick exercise ride from home I head straight for the canals.

Over time I gradually hiked more and biked less but now with gas prices as they are just driving to my hikes has destroyed my budget so I'm sliding the scale toward more mountain biking again. Thankfully I live very close to Usery and Hawes and I don't mind biking in triple-digit temps.
CannondaleKid
Change Phoenix website: PHOTOS & VIDEOS

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Postby Jim_H » May 15 2012 9:48 am

I think I would prefer to keep hiking, almost exclusively, but out here that is hard to do. Trips to Tucson are one thing, as are trip to Colorado and the Grand Canyon, but when I want an afternoon hike for 3 or 4 hours, I just can not justify a drive of equal or greater time, or driving on a road where it is going to shorten the life of my car. I thought USFS roads were bad, there is no comparison to Rez roads. Unfortunately, trails really don't exist out here, but there are enough roads where I may be able to ride this summer and earl fall, before I make like a tree in spring.

autumnstars
Viva Vegapelli
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Postby autumnstars » May 15 2012 1:14 pm

Well, we have done something which worked out well:
Drive to end of good/paved road
Bike on unpaved/bad road to hiking area
Hide bike and go on hike

The bike ride is like a warm-up for the hike.
Your just have to make sure and hide your bike really well, and remember where you hid it.

This might make those hikes which are on poor roads more accessible...
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Postby Jim_H » May 15 2012 1:26 pm

I wouldn't leave a bike unattended out here. I don't really like leaving my car unattended. As it is, I prefer to pass through the areas I have hiked undetected. I will probably start biking the dirt roads more, as that seems to be the safer way to exercise and not do the exact same hike over and over.

Nighthiker
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Postby Nighthiker » May 15 2012 8:42 pm

I enjoy both hiking and cycling and on the camping trips I will take the mtn. bike and some times a road bike. A couple of times I have completed a night hike and went cycling. I also bike camp (mtn. bike) and have taken a couple of short trips with my touring bicycle.
jk

Hippy
Grand-opelli
City, State: Grand Canyon

Postby Hippy » May 16 2012 10:42 am

autumnstars wrote:This might make those hikes which are on poor roads more accessible...

this is what we do for fossil creek just for kicks and giggles.

Jim go for it biking is wonderful, i just bought a brand spankin new cannondale and I'm in looove with it, unfortunately I rarely have time and making the time for a ride is tough with work sched but such is life right? if you can ride do it! lucky duck! :y:

Nighthiker
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Postby Nighthiker » May 16 2012 12:40 pm

Just get up real early before work.
jk

Return to “Bike”