Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Whisper
New Born Kokopelli
City, State: San Diego

Starting the AZT via bike

Post by Whisper » Oct 26 2013 4:48 pm

I'd like to bike the AZT from the Mexican Border up to Interstate 10 in the near future. I've got the maps and bike databook, nice bike and gear. I'm wondering how to get bike and self down to the border. Two of the three shuttle numbers listed on ATA website are no longer in service and the third guy lives in Tucson. How to individual riders accomplish this, does anyone have a suggestion? I thought I could leave my car in Patagonia or Sonoita to get started. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

sirena
Grand Canyon Gazer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Starting the AZT via bike

Post by sirena » Oct 27 2013 10:42 am

Hi Whisper! I just called both shuttle companies to confirm that the information on the website is correct, not sure why you had a problem getting through. Give them another try and see what happens.

Arizona Sunshine Tours offers shuttles between Tucson International Airport
and the AZT trailhead in Coronado National Memorial. Call (520) 803-6713.

Arizona World Shuttle Express will pick you up at the Tucson International Airport and take you to Sierra Vista and then to the Coronado National Memorial Visitors Center near Montezuma Pass. Call (520) 458-3330, 24 hours in advance.

Hope you get through!
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

pops c
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Starting the AZT via bike

Post by pops c » Oct 29 2013 11:52 am

Whisper wrote:I could leave my car in Patagonia or Sonoita to get started. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Whisper-
Have you considered biking from Patagonia? The 58 to 49 to 61 Forest Roads across the San Rafael Valley would be beautiful.
When you start climbing Montezuma Pass drop south on the Yaqui Spring Rd follow the Border Road to the Monument’s Boundary. A short hike-a-bike to Border Monument 102, return Patagonia via AZT/Forest Roads.
AZT Class of 2013
Arizona National Scenic Trail Steward
Segment 9a Hope Camp
Saguaro National Park (Rincon Wilderness)

Return to “Bike”