Cycling to Mountain Biking

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

27.5" tire size bikes

Post by Nighthiker » Dec 01 2013 10:45 am

Giant has introduced a new line of mtn. bikes with 27.5" sized tires. I have limited saddle time on them and would like to spend some time in terrain riding them. I currently ride a 26" tired hard tail and spent time on a 29" tire sized mtn. bike at Dead Horse earlier this year. I found the 29 a little awkward, missed a few turns around Lagoon #2 riled up the ducks and scared the hell out of a slumbering fisherman.

Would like to add a second hard tail to my fleet trying to decide on a 27.5 or 29. Anyone have time aboard these bikes and reviews ?
jk

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: 27.5" tire size bikes

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 01 2013 8:03 pm

My understanding is that the designers had a hard time coming up with a frame to fit someone as short as I am, for the 29er. You'd smack your toes on the front tires every time you turned the wheel. I can do that on my bike with 26" wheels, without trying very hard! So, no, haven't tried any bigger-wheeled rides. My Specialized is a women's small but several people have told me I should have tried to get an extra-small, if they even make that size. Don't ask me about frame size in terms of numbers. I don't remember numbers.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Apr 25 2015 6:49 am

Added a Giant Talon 1 hardtail to the fleet recently and set it up for bike camping. Enjoyed riding the bike with the 27.5 tires.
jk

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 25 2015 7:13 am

I keep talking about bike camping but not doing it. I'm too busy with kayaking. I see that Thule has new racks which will work for full suspension mountain bikes. Better than my Topeak seat post rack, I think, because a seat post rack has a tendency to twist off to the side. I am interested in riding around on the miles of dirt roads in Northern Arizona. Not too interested in single track these days, unless it's easy.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

desert_boonie
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by desert_boonie » Apr 25 2015 8:03 am

Not sure how much you are looking to spend, but if you go the 27.5 route you should look into the models Cannondale offers. The Jekyll and Trigger models are pretty amazing bikes with great handling and comfort with good component setup out of the box.
"Never Satisfied"

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Apr 25 2015 12:21 pm

after i tear up this BMC trailfox 26er, ill prolly get a santa cruz 5010 carbon 650b. or maybe an Ibis.
:D

Return to “Bike”