Linked Areas none
no avatar
Bendboater
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Bend, OR

Packrafting trips in January

Post by Bendboater » Sep 26 2017 8:35 am

Hi,
I am looking for possible packraft trips in S. Arizona and/or S. California that might be boatable in January/Feburary?
Thank you.

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Packrafting trips in January

Post by nonot » Dec 13 2017 9:32 pm

@hikeaz
I think the park service is feeling their way for the packraft trips. I applaud the park service for even allowing it on a limited basis. It is carefully chosen right now to avoid using it as an alternative to a river rafting permit, and was intended to facilitate access to areas not accessible (or leavable, in the case of canyoneering) without the use of packrafts. As far as I know crossing the river in a raft has never been an issue, even before they implemented the new rules. The ACA got a couple of rangers hooked on canyoneering and made some serious headway in paving inroads for these purposes.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Dec 14 2017 6:12 pm

this trip will take you across canyon lake, and into a slot that starts off w/ easy scrambling. there are some nice narrows area back there, with a spring(?) you do NOT have to get involved with technical areas, if you just turn around where ropes are needed. it's a fairly straighforward paddle to this canyon w/ a touring kayak, about 2.5 miles from the put-in but i have never used a packraft so cannot say . note: if you park in the "recreation" sites, you'll need a Tonto Nat'l forest pass. i park at a pullout just before first water bridge, and that seemed fine. there's a couple of beaches you can camp on near the mouth of this canyon. or, backpack upstream to find a suitable spot.
[ Blue Tank Canyon ]
https://hikearizona.com/map.php?ZTN=3162&Z=12&M=3
:D

no avatar
Bendboater
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Bend, OR

Post by Bendboater » Dec 14 2017 7:21 pm

@te_wa
Sweet. Thank you for the recommendation.

Return to “Boat, Canoe, Kayak, etc...”