Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
canyon trekker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, az

Lower Verde - Do it now!

Post by canyon trekker » Jul 08 2010 10:01 pm

Okay guys. It's time put in at Needle Rock or above. The flow rate is at or around 700 cfs.
Take out at Granite Reef dam. Watch out for the drunk tubers after the confluence.

This is a great opporunity to take a great cruise down a beautiful route. There is only one minor challenge after you pass under the B-Line Highway bridge. Just a little chute to wake you up. If you dump it, don't fight it. The current will pull you into a nice gentle eddy.

Go here first to verify the release.

Code: Select all

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00045=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif&period=60&site_no=09511300
Be safe, have fun.
Peace
CT

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Re: Lower Verde - Do it now!

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 09 2010 4:31 am

Oh, my, that does sound fun! I even have a kayak...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

gringoantonio
G pelli
City, State: Boise, ID

Post by gringoantonio » Jul 09 2010 8:33 am

Last time I checked (last year), you're not allowed to float through the res. Did you get permission somehow or did you just poach it?

Also, if you've never been down the Verde, be aware that there's tons of strainers. And one very big one at the bottom of Box Bar RAP (the last non-res RAP).

no avatar
canyon trekker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by canyon trekker » Jul 11 2010 12:46 am

At this flow rate the river Class I and II

Actually I never thought to ask about permission. I guess one day I'll have to ask.....

You may be thinking about the nesting/breeding periods. If you run the river during that time you cannot stop or make landfall during this time. Your takeout will be well beyond the res.

This is from southwestpaddler.com
the best water is usually during spring months, but the land area around the river is closed to access by foot or vehicle between December 1 and June 30, for the protection of endangered species of wildlife and birds that nest and breed in this area. Paddling the river is legal, but no noise is allowed, and since you cannot continue onto the Fort McDowell Indian Reservation that effectively blocks access to this reach of the river other than from July 1 through November 30. If paddling the river during the closure period, you are not allowed to stop, get out of your boat, make a landfall or otherwise disturb animals and birds nesting in the area. This run is scenic, flowing through an area of towering cliffs covered with verdant bushes and trees along the upper part of this reach, though it shows all the classic signs of leaving behind the beautiful green trees and forested mountains as the Verde River nears the desert floor of the Phoenix area. Flow is dependent upon dam releases at Bartlett Reservoir
By the way, the 23 mile +/- trip takes around 7-8 hours. You'll still need to drive back to Needle Rock to get your other vehicle unless you can talk someone into shuttling you.

gringoantonio
G pelli
City, State: Boise, ID

Post by gringoantonio » Jul 11 2010 8:17 pm

Not mistaking res land/water for periodic Bald Eagle closures. Res starts about 1.5-2 river miles beyond Box Bar. From what I've been told (last year, by at least 1/2 dozen different res officials) they don't allow anyone who isn't a tribal member or isn't paddling with a tribal member on their stretch of the river. With high-clearance 4WD you can drive the dirt roads down to the river+res border behind Rio Verde Country Club to access these extra river miles.

This is also from the S/W Paddlers Bartlett Reservoir to Salt River Confluence page:

"Boating onto the Apache reservation is prohibited - talk to representatives of the Apache Nation at Fort McDowell for information...The legally navigable reach is only about half the total distance between Bartlett Reservoir and the Salt River confluence."

Not trying to debate here, just trying to help HikeAZ members avoid trouble, fines, disrespecting the Yavapai, etc...

no avatar
canyon trekker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by canyon trekker » Jul 11 2010 9:55 pm

I'll call the tribal offices Monday or Tuesday to confirm. We don't need any fines or confiscations.

skatchkins
4xFourkopelli
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by skatchkins » Jul 17 2010 3:35 am

I just did a section of this in a tube because what's better than an impromptu midnight rapids tubing on the Verde?
USGS says it was flowing at 909 CFM's.

The brother-in-law and I dropped in at Needle Rock and set ourselves up for a 1+ mi adventure or a 2+ mi one. We only made it 1.5 in about 45min. Holy frik that was scary fun. Some of the rapids were huge spaced out hills with plenty of drop in between you had to dance with. Add in the fact that it was pitch black out and the ol heart gets pumping fast. Not only could you hear them coming, but your speed certainly picked up as they pulled you towards them. We spotted one ringtail taking a drink. When we got to a narrow section after deciding to pass our first out option, the rapids got fast and put us into a low lying tree, I got knocked backwards off my tube and went fully under. Again, much scarier in the dark. It was too deep to touch too in the fast water but I managed to swim to shore after bobbing a couple times. Jonathan managed to stay on but then tumbled a few times shortly after. He also retrieved my tube.
We found ourselves on a vehicle trail on the bank so we called it quits this time and hiked about 2 miles on the road back to the truck.
Good times. So much fun with just the right amount of blind danger.
We saw no one else out there even camping and the temps, once you got wet, were great.
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

Dave1
Articulate Adventurer
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Dave1 » Aug 26 2010 10:28 pm

Do they make bullet-proof life jackets?

http://www.kfyi.com/cc-common/news/sect ... le=7528868

Yavapai County Man Accused of Shooting at Kayakers

Samuel Houston Phariss, 70, is accused of shooting at three kayakers going down the Verde River.
By KFYI News

(KFYI News) Three kayakers in Yavapai County were shot at by a man with a rifle while going down the Verde River.

The victims told police the suspect began shooting at them from about 50 yards away. The suspect was believed to have fired at least three shots, hitting the water about 6 inches from one of the kayakers. The shooter then approached the river and ordered the three at gunpoint to exit their kayaks. Once on the river bank the suspect accused the men of stealing a kayak from his home. The suspect was able to inspect the three kayaks determined that none of the involved kayaks were his. The suspect then left the area.

Samuel Houston Phariss, 70, was caught at a campground and taken into custody. He is accused of attempted 2nd Degree Murder, two counts of Aggravated Assault, and three counts of Kidnapping.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Aug 26 2010 11:22 pm

That's pretty heinous. I'm glad they apparently caught him quickly.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 27 2010 3:41 am

Geez what a nutcase! Hope they put him away for awhile, even though he is so old.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Boat, Canoe, Kayak, etc...”