Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: New to kayaking...looking for first kayak

Post by joebartels » Sep 15 2010 2:43 pm

There's a few yakers on here that might help, also check this topic out for some info Kayaks.... Sit on Top or Traditional
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 15 2010 4:35 pm

Sounds like you need a touring kayak. It should have a rudder in the back, which is turned by means of foot pedals. I would suggest visiting several different stores (NOT big 5 or sports authority, though) but stores that specialize in sea kayaking and kayak touring. There are also some good forums and websites I have discovered via googling. Also, I subscribe to Canoeing and Kayaking Magazine. I think there is also a kayak magazine.

Since I don't live very near to any great places to kayak, I have remained something of a newbie for quite awhile. I am actually going kayaking on a lake tomorrow. Yippee!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

ssk44
Explorerkopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ssk44 » Sep 15 2010 9:19 pm

Sit-On-Top kayaks are popular for recreational ocean use because you cant sink them. They are self-bailing kayaks. I am a large fan of Wilderness Kayaks for many reasons including comfort and overall design. If you want a S.O.T. my recommendation would be a Wilderness Tarpon 140. I am not a big fan of S.O.T. kayaks because you sit very high in them and there slow. They are typically heavy bulky boats with inefficient hulls. My personal recommendation would be good day-touring boat. Considering your needs and size, I recommend a Wilderness Pungo 140. The Pungo 140 is an excellent boat. It's the "Swiss Army Knife" of kayaks. It's roomy, has a high weight capacity, it's fast, it tracks well, includes front and rear bulkheads, and has a superb intermediate hull that you wont grow out of six months. The boat excels as your skills improve. I'm on my second one. See your local REI dealer...

igallery/image_page.php?id=4313 (Pungo 140)

http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=83715 (Pungo 140)

http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=112792 (Pungo 140)

http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=112794 (Pungo 140)
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Sep 15 2010 9:24 pm

ssk44 wrote:I'm on my second one
Did the first one wear out?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 15 2010 9:33 pm

joe bartels wrote:Did the first one wear out?
There's a lot of friction in those AZ rivers most of the year. :sl:

ssk44
Explorerkopelli

Post by ssk44 » Sep 15 2010 9:36 pm

Did the first one wear out?
My budy talked me into selling it to him over the winter. He wanted to get into kayaking and I wanted a partner. After I sold it to him, I purchased a Tsunami 140 that I was useing untill last month. I sold that boat to a guy in Flagstaff through Craigs List. It was a killer touring boat, but it sucked for fishing. Oh well... No big loss. I had some great trips with that boat!

http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=134670 (Tsunami 140)

http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=145622 (Tsunami 140)
Last edited by ssk44 on Sep 15 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 15 2010 9:45 pm

My husband and I have a Wilderness Systems 14.5 foot recreation kayak, not a sit on top. A tandem, AKA "divorce boat." I have to say, it was interesting learning to paddle in tandem. We managed, though. And when I was in Calif and saw other people doing it, I realized we had actually managed pretty well.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

ssk44
Explorerkopelli

Post by ssk44 » Sep 15 2010 10:32 pm

I should have known that was a sarcastic comment. Another HAZ forum topic veers into the ditch... :roll:

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Sep 15 2010 10:59 pm

ssk44 wrote:
I should have known that was a sarcastic comment. Another HAZ forum topic veers into the ditch... :roll:
I'm interested as I don't know much about kayaks. If they only last a couple of years then the price seems even higher as I was under the impression they had a decent resale value. I figured they were pretty durable having seen them but then wondered if cracks or something may be an issue.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 16 2010 5:01 am

Both of mine are pretty old. It is not a good idea to leave them sitting outside, though. Indoor storage is preferable.

ssk44
Explorerkopelli

Post by ssk44 » Sep 16 2010 6:33 am

My prior Pungo is about seven years old. That's the longest I have owned any kayak. If you take care of them and store them out of the sun they will last for many years. The biggest weak link is dragging them across sand and concrete. I'm careful not to drag my boats around any more then necessary. Even with being careful, I still managed to get the plastic thin at the rear keel. The fix is to take the boat to someone that is good at plastic welding. They can add some new material to the weakened area and then file/sand it to match the keel line. Cracks dont really come up much if you apply a good UV product like 303 on the boat a few times a year.

Kayak plastic repair/welding source...
Philips Plastics
3801 E. Roeser Road, Unit 18
Phoenix, AZ
602-470-1808

Return to “Boat, Canoe, Kayak, etc...”