Canoeing to Canyon Lake--Point Campground

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
ddgrunning
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Canoeing to Canyon Lake--Point Campground

Post by ddgrunning » Apr 05 2016 3:23 pm

All right all you kayaking and canoeing types ....

I'm helping plan an overnight scout adventure at Canyon Lake later this month. The plan is to canoe out to the Point Campground from Acacia beach, which is about 2 miles.

We will be departing from Gilbert after the school day on Friday, so probably won't be in the water paddling till about 5-5:30 pm. We will transport the boys' gear over to the campground by (motorized) boat, so all that they will have to transport by canoes is themselves ....

How long will it take to paddle two miles? Will we have enough daylight? The route is technically "upstream"; is it difficult?

I know all of these questions depend on the physical/mental make-up of the kid doing the canoeing, but I'm just trying to get a general idea of time/difficulty, based on your average 12-13 year old youth.

As an aside, any recent intel on the conditions at the campground?

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Canoeing to Canyon Lake--Point Campground

Post by chumley » Apr 05 2016 3:37 pm

Wind will be more of an issue than current. If there's a headwind it will be slow. If there's a tailwind, much faster. Against the wind it's nice to stay near shore so you have a motivator of seeing the progress made. Out in open water it can seem like you are standing still or going backward.

Assuming everybody will have short, wide, ocean-type kayaks, I wouldn't plan on going any faster than they would hike. On flat water with mostly calm wind I would plan for about 2mph. Perhaps just a little under that with kids. I wouldn't think it should drop under 1.5mph. (Longer, narrower kayaks can get better speed, but it's unlikely that's what you'll have).

So for two miles, figure a little over an hour once you start paddling. But it'll probably take half an hour to get on the water and everybody set up (depending on group size). It won't get dark until around 7, so you will cut it close. But it's pretty nice on the lake after dark if you don't mind the quick temperature drop and setting up camp in the dark!
Ja vi elsker dette landet

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 05 2016 5:58 pm

Good info from Chumley.

Also, if this event goes well, I'd suggest they learn to pack gear in the canoes. I see many Scouts in canoes on the Colorado River, mostly doing the stretch between Walter's Camp and Martinez Lake, usually a 3 day trip. When I was first doing those lower Colorado River stretches of river I got a lot of my original info online from Scouting sources.

And you have to get them real familiar with my favorite dumb joke: I can row a boat..............canoe?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Apr 05 2016 6:15 pm

Just don't be surprised if there are quite a few people at the Campground when you get there...Arriving at 7:00 on a Friday at Canyon Lake is a late Arrival....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Apr 05 2016 7:39 pm

If you have any scouts that haven't paddled before, you may want to plan for a half hour of instruction/practice which I hope is already part of your float plan. Also, the canoes should be more stable and easier to paddle with gear. Of course you then need to worry about the scouts capsizing and dunking the gear.

Should be fun!
Go find a LonelyCache

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Apr 05 2016 8:38 pm

Lights! Even if you are successful in getting to the campsite before be sure to take flashlights or whatever. They need to be handy and ready as well. Ski boats & jet skies rule over canoes and you do not want collisions!
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

ssk44
Explorerkopelli

Post by ssk44 » Apr 06 2016 8:11 am

One consideration should be the canoeing part. It would be advisable that all involved are very experienced. Canoes on big narrow lakes like Canyon from April through September can be scary. The wake boarding boats will swamp you without blinking an eye. Kayaks are a different story. Especially self bailing sit-on-top models. There a no brainer. Even traditional kayaks are far safer on Canyon Lake then canoes. Between the wake boarding boats and possible wind, you're in for one hell of canoeing adventure. I emphasis "adventure". Canoeing on Canyon Lake is best in the winter. You just don't see many out there. If everyone are seasoned paddlers, go for it.

By the way.. Point Campground Overlook is a great hike! You'll love that part.
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30

ddgrunning
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by ddgrunning » Apr 06 2016 11:57 am

outdoor_lover wrote:Just don't be surprised if there are quite a few people at the Campground when you get there
Yeah. Thinking we may try to get out there with the motor boat earlier in the day to stake out a spot. Any idea how many groups the campground can reasonably accommodate? (I've never been there).
rcorfman wrote: Of course you then need to worry about the scouts capsizing and dunking the gear.
Yup.
ssk44 wrote:The wake boarding boats will swamp you without blinking an eye.
Definitely a concern. We'll have some contingency plans if the lake is too crowded.
ssk44 wrote:traditional kayaks are far safer on Canyon Lake then canoes
Wish that were an option ....

Thanks, all!

ssk44
Explorerkopelli

Post by ssk44 » Apr 06 2016 1:01 pm

ddgrunning wrote:Any idea how many groups the campground can reasonably accommodate? (I've never been there).
It's a small first come first serve site..
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tonto/re ... 9&actid=29

Another campsite consideration could be a dispersed site on a point at the "Point Campground Overlook" hike trailhead. It's a decent size site for a few small tents. I don't know how large your group is? It will also be private. Nobody can camp near you. No noisy stereos blasting until midnight. The guy with the boat could run up the lake and see what the options are. Between the main campground and this dispersed site, you'll likely get lucky. The obvious benefit to the TH campsite is the easy access to the hike.
Canyon Lake Campsite.jpg

ddgrunning
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by ddgrunning » Apr 06 2016 1:17 pm

@ssk44
Love that idea. (It's a little shorter paddle in, as well.)

We'll probably have a couple of 5-person tents for the boys, plus a a couple of one-two person tents for adults.

Thx!

ssk44
Explorerkopelli

Post by ssk44 » Apr 06 2016 1:34 pm

ddgrunning wrote:We'll probably have a couple of 5-person tents for the boys, plus a a couple of one-two person tents for adults.
I hope it works out. I'm not sure how its laid out and how level it is. I've not personally walked into the site. I've just seen tents up on the hill from time to time. It looks to have two open areas from the Google Earth View. It could be just right. It's a great location. Good luck and have fun!

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Apr 07 2016 10:24 am

@ddgrunning
Regardless of which you decided to Camp at, I would go with your "Motorboat earlier in the Day" Stakeout plan... Like, maybe in the Morning plan...This is the Time of Year when the Lakes really start getting busy...Not Cold anymore and not too Hot....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Return to “Boat, Canoe, Kayak, etc...”