Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
bryanmertz
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Intro to climbing

Post by bryanmertz » May 25 2005 10:14 am

I think I want to get into climbing; but before dropping a lot of loot on the gear needed I was wondering if anyone on here wouldn't mind taking out a beginner.

Even after work M-F at a gym or something would be good - I just want to "get my feet wet" some and see if it is indeed something I would enjoy.

Thanks;
Bryan

mttgilbert
HAZopelli
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » May 27 2005 9:28 am

Hey Bryan, I'll go to the gym with you sometime if you want. I'm not much of an experienced outdoor climber but I've been going to the rock gym a lot lately.
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

AZHikr4444
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

REI Clinic

Post by AZHikr4444 » May 31 2005 7:45 am

In response to matt gilbert's reply:

Hey Matt,

Isn't REI having a free climbing clinic next weekend? I thought I saw something about it on the board when I was there last week.

What do you think about the backpack 101 clinic? Are you giving that one? : ) I was thinking about coming to both of them.

Mind one more at the rock gym sometime? I am interested in climbing as well!

Mike
A true outdoorsman, when treed by a bear, sits back and enjoys the view.

Lost? Hell, I ain't never been lost. But I have been a mite confused for a week or two.
-The Mountain Men

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » May 31 2005 7:51 am

I don't post nearly as many trips on this site as I'd like to, because I'm always out climbing instead of hiking. I was at Tahquitz and Suicide Rocks (super-scary multi-pitch friction climbing...fun) in CA this past weekend. Anyway, I'd be happy to help you get into climbing. I go to the Phoenix Rock Gym (PRG) on Monday and Wednesday after work. You can rent a harness and shoes there.
There is a lot of technique to learn in climbing, but the basics are easy. I think that you should try it a couple of times to be sure if it's for you. If you have climbing skills, it opens up a ton of hiking and canyoneering trips for you that you might not otherwise consider.
If you get into it, the PRG has a gear store that can set you up with the gear you need. Also REI as well. (Matt Gilbert, get me some commission :wink: ) I think the cost to get into climbing will be a lot lower than you think!

bryanmertz
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by bryanmertz » May 31 2005 1:08 pm

Hey Matt Gilbert - sure, let's go to the gym. Maybe on Wednesday and hook up with Matt too.

If there is a intro class at REI I will goto that also.

Bryan

bryanmertz
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by bryanmertz » May 31 2005 5:50 pm

Hey Mike - I guess I didn't completely read your post - I would be happy to meet you sometime if the others can't make it.

If Wednesday is good for the others I'll go.

Bryan

mttgilbert
HAZopelli

Post by mttgilbert » May 31 2005 8:26 pm

I'm actually going to be at work until about 8 or 9, I'm giving the clinic on desert camping tommorow. Bryan, I'll give you a call tomorrow when I get done and see if you guys are down there.
-Matt Gilbert

bryanmertz
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by bryanmertz » Jun 14 2005 11:34 am

Matt, Matt & Mike - I would still be interested in getting together. Tomorrow night should work for me.

Bryan

mttgilbert
HAZopelli

Post by mttgilbert » Jun 14 2005 1:08 pm

what time?

I have to check my schedule, but my guess is I don't get off until 9:30

(maybe my new harness will show up today! Then I wouldn't have an excuse not to go...)
-Matt Gilbert

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jun 15 2005 5:34 pm

Sorry to be last minute, but I have to bail tonite. I have a work related function that I should go to...you know, to network and stuff. It's all about the Benjamins. I would rather be climbing though. I'll be at the PRG on Thursday evening and next week back to Mon/Wed. Sorry.

rushthezeppelin
Seed Sowin' Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Intro to climbing

Post by rushthezeppelin » Dec 10 2008 4:29 pm

Glad I found this topic as I'm getting interested in getting into rock climbing, especially are watching SaR training on Camelback the other day. I'll have to check out the PRG as it's just within a few miles of my place.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Dec 10 2008 4:58 pm

The gym is a good place to start but don't stay climbing there exclusively too long because it will result in a really bad transition to real rock. Get your feet wet there and then start looking for short 5.6, 5.7's near you to get a feel for how things go without perfect conditions behind you, etc...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

mttgilbert
HAZopelli

Post by mttgilbert » Dec 10 2008 5:50 pm

I've done a bit of both types of climbing now and I feel like I can say with some confidence that gym climbing and outdoor climbing are two completely different animals. climbing in the gym is great for a workout. Everything is "safe" and clean and the routes are set with holds that are easy to find. Climbing outdoors requires a lot more gear and a lot more know-how (even for sport crags). Outdoors, the holds are often abundant but harder to find (especially when you're used to just having to look for the purple tape...) If you start at a gym be prepared for a reality check when you go outdoors. It's not uncommon for a 5.10 gym climber to struggle on 5.8 climbs outdoors. It's just different, there's no tape on the holds. There's no mats underneath you. its a whole different game. There are a lot of people who swear off one or the other type of climbing. I like them both and hope you decide to give them both a chance. Climbing is an awesome way to get outside, remember to approach it with the respect it deserves, accidents are rare but the consequences are pretty dire.
-Matt Gilbert

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 10 2008 6:07 pm

I'm thinking about signing up for a rock climbing class this spring--it's outdoors, a couple of weekends in the Barry Goldwater Bombing Range, toward the southern end of the Gila Mtns., near Tinajas Altas. Sounds like a way cool place to go, huh? This class is offered by Arizona Western College in Yuma. I hear that some people take the class over and over, and that way they also meet other people to climb with from around here.

I have climbed before but it has been years ago now. I still have my gear and brought it down here with me.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Dec 10 2008 6:27 pm

azbackpackr wrote:I'm thinking about signing up for a rock climbing class this spring--it's outdoors, a couple of weekends in the Barry Goldwater Bombing Range, toward the southern end of the Gila Mtns., near Tinajas Altas. Sounds like a way cool place to go, huh? This class is offered by Arizona Western College in Yuma. I hear that some people take the class over and over, and that way they also meet other people to climb with from around here.

I have climbed before but it has been years ago now. I still have my gear and brought it down here with me.
That's a good way to go; you can see what others are about in a controlled setting before roping up with them...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 11 2008 4:09 pm

I did go ahead and sign up for it. Will let you guys know how it went. I took an intro kayaking class from the same outfit--it was a very fun way to spend a weekend, and I learned something, met some folks, etc.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Dec 11 2008 4:17 pm

Yea, sounds cool. Take pics with your new camera!!
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Return to “Climbing”