Rock Climbing

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Hikergirl81
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Seeking opinions from hikers, climbers & fellow mountaineers

Post by Hikergirl81 » Oct 12 2009 3:18 am

Now this is my question... Seeking opinions from hikers, climbers and fellow mountaineers:
I originally was interested in climbing after getting physically beat on the SW(?) side of peak 3 of 4 Peaks.
http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=94082
Now it turns out I REALLY love to climb, it has taken a lot of my time to become strong and now I am working on the mental game of leading... (I just lead 4 5.10a's on my 1st leading trip.)
I have to admit I am not sure about logging trips even though I LOVE the approach, and "climb like a scrambler"
So here are my questions-
Do I leave my trip logs to hiking trips only???
or
Do hikers dislike (NICE, non egotistical) climbers?

Thanks for your time & thoughts! ;)
-JP
I don't have a computer… Not because I'm against having one. Really just hasn't been a top priority on my gear list.
I am now attempting to navigate, post, reply (etc..) this site with only an iPhone… Wish me luck!

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Re: Seeking opinions from hikers, climbers & fellow mountaineers

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 19 2009 8:42 am

In this case I was referring to the Chris that started R&R and used to own it. He may still, I have no idea.

I remember running into the Explorers one year at a Scout Jamboree. I think they had been invited by BSA as a courtesy. They seemed like an interesting group. Were they attached to Rural Metro?
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 19 2009 10:46 am

There are quite a few Explorer posts. My Jeff belonged to the Rural Metro one you mentioned, up by CDO. There are also posts sponsored by Border Patrol, fire and police and sheriff's depts., etc. The Explorer Posts are more career-oriented now. The BSA has divided the programs, so now there is another branch called Venture Crew.

Venture Crews can be particularly awesome. Like Explorers, they are for boys and girls ages 13-21. I attended a mtg. of one in Yuma last spring, that was sponsored by the Lutheran school there. They were a High Adventure crew and were planning to backpack the John Muir Trail last summer. They had also been to Boundary Waters, and backpacking in the Canyon, canoeing down the lower Colorado, and backpacking in the Sierras and in Hawaii, and numerous other fine adventures too numerous to mention. They were a very nice group of kids, mostly in high school.

Of particular interest to me in that Yuma group was that they desperately needed female adult volunteers with outdoors experience. I was unable to pursue my interest in volunteering for this group due to the fact we did not remain in Yuma. I do volunteer here in Springerville for the Apache Rescue Team, a similar sort of group, also BSA-sponsored.

If anyone reading this is interested in volunteering for Venture Crews, I think you can find out about it via your local Scout council. I think both Phx. and Tucson probably have Venture Crews that do the High Adventure program. It is a good way to give back your knowledge, and have fun, too!

By the way, Jeff MacE, did you happen hike the 50-mile Catalina Challenge, summer of 1992 with Troop 224? I think that's the year my Jeff went. Yup, he would have been that really little guy with a big mouth!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Oct 19 2009 11:00 am

50 miles, is that over-n-back? Come on Bob whip out your man card :lol:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Oct 19 2009 11:04 am

joe bartels wrote:50 miles, is that over-n-back? Come on Bob whip out your man card
If it were the summer of 1992... I would :)
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 19 2009 11:43 am

azbackpackr wrote:By the way, Jeff MacE, did you happen hike the 50-mile Catalina Challenge, summer of 1992 with Troop 224? I think that's the year my Jeff went. Yup, he would have been that really little guy with a big mouth!
I did! I still have the patch, in fact. There were four or five younger, littler guys with us and I just remember getting ready to settle down one night after most of the younger guys had gone to their tents and the "older" Scouts were supposed to meet by the fire for some kind of planning session. All of the sudden we heard two of them in a tent scuffling around with a flashlight and one of them say: "Are you g-a-y?!" and the other say: "You're about to find out!!" After which they started shaking the tent, etc. It was hilarious, I almost fell in the fire I was laughing so hard because it just came out of the blue and was so random. One of them was named Evan, and Jeff might have been the other one. We were laughing about that for months... :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 19 2009 1:26 pm

Sounds like something he'd cook up for laughs.

He still has the patch, too.

Jeff do you remember the route, so you can tell the folks?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 19 2009 2:11 pm

It was from American Flag trail head in Oracle to Lemmon and then around and down through the Scout camp near palisades and out Sabino...I think they changed the course to reflect the AZ trail a few years later, though. I just remember that it was a big deal to stop by the camp at Palisades...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Hikergirl81
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by Hikergirl81 » Oct 20 2009 12:02 am

nonot wrote:Trad climbers place cams and pro gear as they ascend. Sport climbers want to be trad climbers, but are inept and lazy :sl:
Hmmmm.... careful that almost sounds arrogant, sport climber like ;)
So yeah, I'd have to say I disagree. I think BOTH trad and sport can be amazing, and gyms are just to build strength and endurance between weekends. I just got back from Red Rocks near Vegas. I really enjoyed the sport climbing there, still a beginner but this time I lead everything I climbed including the "Cel" in the Black Corridor. I lead the route twice because 2 others had failed to finish it to retrieve my draws. It has taken me so much time and effort but I have finally started to feel like a successful sport climber.

Now the second part of the trip was Multi-pitch trad routes, WOW! :sweat: I was thinking "only 5.8? No problem.."
that was until I realized I had to carry my water, my hiking shoes, 2 belay devices many carabiners, slings and a trad rack... all on my harness!
On this route there were 5 or 6 pitches and we decided a backpack wasn't possible due to a very tight chimney pitch near the top (I actually got stuck and had to rearrange my Items to get through it. :o ) That 5.7 or 5.8 climb feels a lot different when you are loaded with gear!

To summarize: I believe with trad climbing you can almost climb anything; with sport you can push to your absolute physical limit!
(BTW-Photo's and trip log will follow)
I don't have a computer… Not because I'm against having one. Really just hasn't been a top priority on my gear list.
I am now attempting to navigate, post, reply (etc..) this site with only an iPhone… Wish me luck!

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 20 2009 6:47 am

Things get really interesting when you have to haul mountaineering gear behind you up a face... :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Oct 20 2009 12:51 pm

Jeff MacE wrote:Things get really interesting when you have to haul mountaineering gear behind you up a face... :D
Or 50 plus pounds of gear in a pack or you.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 21 2009 8:28 am

jhodlof wrote:
Jeff MacE wrote:Things get really interesting when you have to haul mountaineering gear behind you up a face... :D
Or 50 plus pounds of gear in a pack or you.
This reminds me of an amusing story; I had a buddy years back that I would chat with when I ran into him on routes, etc. He had gone to climb El Capitan with a small group and one of the guys was really new to the sport. The new guy had packed *way* too much gear and at some point had taken his pack off and clipped it into a piece of pro along the main line to give himself a rest and tie in to follow. He then proceeded to climb the rest of that pitch as the follower. He somehow managed to remove all of the pro along the way except for the bottom-most cam with his pack tied into it, swaying in the breeze. The guy was apparently on the verge of tears when they told him they were going to lower him back down and he had to climb back up the pitch with the pack this time. Apparently he tried all sorts of bribery and other sordid manipulation to try to convince someone to stay behind and pull his pack up and then drop the line for a top-rope for himself... :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Oct 22 2009 5:10 pm

Hikergirl81 wrote:I believe with trad climbing you can almost climb anything; with sport you can push to your absolute physical limit!
but with trad climbing you can push to your absolute mental, emotional and spiritual limits (and sometimes even beyond), an altogether completely different thing!

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 23 2009 8:09 am

toddak wrote:
Hikergirl81 wrote:I believe with trad climbing you can almost climb anything; with sport you can push to your absolute physical limit!
but with trad climbing you can push to your absolute mental, emotional and spiritual limits (and sometimes even beyond), an altogether completely different thing!
Agreed 100%
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Return to “Climbing”