Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Hikergirl81
janellopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Seeking opinions from hikers, climbers & fellow mountaineers

Post by Hikergirl81 » Oct 12 2009 3:18 am

Now this is my question... Seeking opinions from hikers, climbers and fellow mountaineers:
I originally was interested in climbing after getting physically beat on the SW(?) side of peak 3 of 4 Peaks.
http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=94082
Now it turns out I REALLY love to climb, it has taken a lot of my time to become strong and now I am working on the mental game of leading... (I just lead 4 5.10a's on my 1st leading trip.)
I have to admit I am not sure about logging trips even though I LOVE the approach, and "climb like a scrambler"
So here are my questions-
Do I leave my trip logs to hiking trips only???
or
Do hikers dislike (NICE, non egotistical) climbers?

Thanks for your time & thoughts! ;)
-JP
I don't have a computer… Not because I'm against having one. Really just hasn't been a top priority on my gear list.
I am now attempting to navigate, post, reply (etc..) this site with only an iPhone… Wish me luck!

Hikergirl81
janellopelli

Re: Seeking opinions from hikers, climbers & fellow mountaineers

Post by Hikergirl81 » Oct 12 2009 3:23 am

PS: Woke up & having a bit of trouble falling back asleep. (Hence the 3 am post :zzz:)
I don't have a computer… Not because I'm against having one. Really just hasn't been a top priority on my gear list.
I am now attempting to navigate, post, reply (etc..) this site with only an iPhone… Wish me luck!

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Oct 12 2009 6:45 am

Several members on here are hikers/climbers. I am a former climber myself. Log the trips, I say!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Oct 12 2009 7:15 am

I know I'd like to read about your climbing adventures! I've logged several climbing trips on here and have gotten no negative feedback. Probably because nobody read the logs. ;)
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 12 2009 7:39 am

PageRob wrote:Several members on here are hikers/climbers. I am a former climber myself. Log the trips, I say!
Same here; I still climb when I need to, but don't really seek it out any longer. Post 'em up!
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 12 2009 9:02 am

The photos on such trips are always neat to see, also!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Hikergirl81
janellopelli

Post by Hikergirl81 » Oct 12 2009 3:55 pm

Still waiting for Joe to take me up on an Invite! ;)

hippiepunkpirate
Chameleon Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Oct 12 2009 4:30 pm

I'm growing more and more interested in climbing myself, and I think this site could use more climbing info.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Oct 12 2009 5:21 pm

If I do what I plan to do, I'll post some climbing pictures. If it's a hard climb, there won't be many shots. I have already posted a few scrambling sets, but nothing really hard.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Oct 12 2009 5:28 pm

Post em, you can create new climbing routes as hike descriptions if you wish.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Hikergirl81
janellopelli

Post by Hikergirl81 » Oct 13 2009 7:57 pm

Steve you may have to help me on that one. I get confused, seems like you should add climbing areas and not routes.
IE Isolation Canyon (hike, exposure, area details, then routes as comments?)

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Oct 13 2009 8:34 pm

Well, there isn't much on the site now so you probably are going to be the guinea pig. I noticed your recent post had comments that Joe was working on enhancements so you may want to run it by him. I like the idea of having the hike describe the area and have bulletpoints for each climbing route (difficulty, length, where it is in the area, etc). Kinda like those pocket guides REI sells that outline the routes...

I'm not sure how to set it up so that others could add more climbing routes to a location that's already described...hmmm :-k
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Oct 13 2009 9:22 pm

Please post triplogs and photos!

It does need a design change. Originally I thought each hike page would represent a route however that would be too tedious for posting triplogs. I may be wrong since I'm not a climber but it seems they go to a section and do multiple routes frequently. Or at least more so than hikers go to a trailhead and do multiple hikes. Hikers are more likely to combine hikes into a longer hike. Not many go to Peralta and do Fremont Saddle then Cave then Bluff Springs, however they do combinations which works fine on the current triplog setup.

Anyhow pretty much all the major climbing sections in Arizona have been in the database for years listed by their parent area. For example on this page http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?ID=1000 you can scroll down and click "Mount Lemmon" which brings up 67 sections. Then you figure each section has multiple routes.

So what we need are pages for each section. This is on the todo list and pretty easy at that once I get to it to spit out a couple hundred pages for the sections. Then the tougher part will be to incorporate another layer for routes. This way if you go to the "Wind Wall" section on "Mount Lemmon" you can include multiple routes in your triplog that it will suggest.

Probably out of the scope of anybody still reading but...

Hikes
State -> Region -> (Sub Region for AZ only ->) Hike Page

Climbs
State -> Area -> Section Page (which will be populated with directions and several inner changeable tabs of routes)

I've had a similar idea for hikes too. Say you post a triplog for Camelback. It would then give you several options. ie: standard up/down, shuttle or over and back with Cholla

However I'm pretty much out of programming time now so all this stuff will likely be far down the road. For the last week I've been working on a photo tag system that's turned into the most difficult programming I've ever encountered. For now simply post generic triplogs and photosets.
Hikergirl81 wrote:Still waiting for Joe to take me up on an Invite! ;)
Please, I said I would several times!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Hikergirl81
janellopelli

Post by Hikergirl81 » Oct 13 2009 10:50 pm

Please, I said I would several times!
Hey you said you had to save yourself for your REAL hiker friends when I asked you about Devils Canyon! ;)
Cmon joe; you know I am an adventure junkie... :PMIC:

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Oct 14 2009 3:51 am

Hikergirl81 wrote:Hey you said you had to save yourself for your REAL hiker friends when I asked you about Devils Canyon!
:sl: you may have heard that but I never said that!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

johnr1
Climbapelli
City, State: tempe, az

Post by johnr1 » Oct 14 2009 5:45 pm

Hiker/Climber girl/JP

Congratulations on your leading accomplishment. Following a 10a is an accomplishment I would like to claim some day and leading is just a dream.

On the subject of posting climbs, there are other sites where you could post pure climbing. My fear is that more climbing info on this site might bring in some of the folks who hang out on Rockclimbing. Though many of them are sincere and polite, I find a number of members of that community do not fit Joe's vision of a helpful and information sharing community. I am sure he is up to the task of weeding them out, but I believe his time is better spent working off his list of improvements.

That said, I would enjoy reading more hike/climbs as well as seeing the photos so please post away. It will give me someone to ask about climbs without worrying about being flamed or defamed. :)

John

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli

Post by Hoffmaster » Oct 14 2009 6:58 pm

John has valid points. Climbing forums are not quite as civil as the forums are on this site. Yeah, occasionally things get out of hand here too, but it happens much faster on the climbing sites. Also, Hikergirl81, as stupid as this sounds, you might invite lots of angry PMs and posts if you write triplogs about some not-so-well-known climbing areas. The developers of these areas (Isolation Canyon for instance) see these places as their own. They feel that since they put in the work to make it a climbing area, they are free to limit who can enjoy it, even if it is on public land. Even though lots of people know of these areas and have climbed at them, there is much wrath to be felt for posting them on the internet. I'm not telling you not too; I'm just letting you know that there will be upset people. Not me though, I've climbed at most of the secret places and since I don't live in AZ, I've got nothing to lose. :D
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Oct 14 2009 11:58 pm

What a bunch of crap.
Don't live in fear that's so 90's. Then some joker publishes a book of secrets, cashes in on it and is deemed a hero in one fell swoop :roll:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli

Post by Hoffmaster » Oct 15 2009 4:44 am

It is a bunch of crap. I'm just saying it, because it will happen. I'm trying to save you the inevitable hassle of having to ban members and lock threads.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 15 2009 6:28 am

Aww, that's nice Matt!

So these jokers are mean and nasty, eh? But the meanest, nastiest, horrible-est ones probably would look down on mere hiking, and hiking websites, right? They probably would not stoop to moving their crusty callused scarred fingers to click on anything to do with hiking, because, after all, to quote one of the meanest, nastiest, horrible-est ones I ever met: "Hiking is what you unfortunately have to do to get to some of the best climbing spots."

So I don't think we have much to worry about, and our hiking friends who just happen to climb and want to share some photos with us probably won't stir up much of a hornet's nest. I say, bring it on!

And they all moved away from me on the bench...

(With apologies to Arlo...)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Climbing”