Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Hikergirl81
janellopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Seeking opinions from hikers, climbers & fellow mountaineers

Post by Hikergirl81 » Oct 12 2009 3:18 am

Now this is my question... Seeking opinions from hikers, climbers and fellow mountaineers:
I originally was interested in climbing after getting physically beat on the SW(?) side of peak 3 of 4 Peaks.
http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=94082
Now it turns out I REALLY love to climb, it has taken a lot of my time to become strong and now I am working on the mental game of leading... (I just lead 4 5.10a's on my 1st leading trip.)
I have to admit I am not sure about logging trips even though I LOVE the approach, and "climb like a scrambler"
So here are my questions-
Do I leave my trip logs to hiking trips only???
or
Do hikers dislike (NICE, non egotistical) climbers?

Thanks for your time & thoughts! ;)
-JP
I don't have a computer… Not because I'm against having one. Really just hasn't been a top priority on my gear list.
I am now attempting to navigate, post, reply (etc..) this site with only an iPhone… Wish me luck!

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Re: Seeking opinions from hikers, climbers & fellow mountaineers

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 15 2009 7:20 am

Climbers are a nasty crowd. I can cite literally a half-dozen times I was at a crag when I was in my prime and saw someone get injured only to be laughed at or called a "Gumby" by the others there that day. Most sport climbers tend to think that they have the corner on the market of the sport, as well. These attitudes come through loud and clear in climbing forums.

To add to Liz's comments: One of the funniest things I've seen when it comes to ego smashing was the sight of some bozo little sport-climber kid trying desperately to haul his gear back up to Windy Point parking area from the northwest crags. Yea, he was a real stud flying up High Karate and a few others with no shirt on and his dipstick, over-sized aviator sunglasses. Trouble was, he couldn't even pack his own gear the short haul back to his car and actually got so frustrated he threw his dinky little backpack and rope down and started screaming at one point. This is a guy that would look down his nose at some of us if he knew we were outdoor people, but he couldn't even life my day pack let alone follow me for a mile of vertical climb on an easy trail.

I'd really love to see more of a Renaissance movement within climbing where we get the fact that climbing is just another skill we need to ascend high peaks; alas, it's become a spot unto itself...and a nasty one, at that. ;)
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Oct 15 2009 10:29 am

There are some really cool climbers out there. In August when I was doing Mount Russell I met 2 guys from Santa Rosa, CA who were camped at Upper Boy Scout Lake. They had hiked up the MR with over 65 pounds of gear each( because rope and cams and climbing gear is very heavy) and were doing Whitney's East Buttress, Russell's Fishhook Arete' and Russell's Mithral Dihedral. These climbs would have sent that hipster sport climber crying, and the approach would have made him poop his "pimp ass sport pants", yet these guys were friendly, approachable and were more than happy to talk to me about their climbs and what I was doing. On day one when myself and my partner Russell were on the the East Ridge we met another group on climbers that had come up the Fishhook and were descending the East Ridge. It turned out that this party was friends with the guys from Santa Rosa. After learning that I had done the East Ridge, the guys from Santa Rosa asked me if I ran into 2 guys up there that might have been in trouble. Because our first attempt was too late in the day, the climbers we me who were descending had become concerned about us and not realized that we soon going to turn back. They had mentioned their concern to the Santa Rosa guys and these 2 were expressing their concern to me. So it would seem they were also compassionate towards others.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 15 2009 12:14 pm

That's the difference between a trad\mountaineer and a sport climber. ;)
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Oct 15 2009 7:25 pm

Trad climbers place cams and pro gear as they ascend. Sport climbers want to be trad climbers, but are inept and lazy :sl:
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 15 2009 8:44 pm

nonot wrote:Trad climbers place cams and pro gear as they ascend. Sport climbers want to be trad climbers, but are inept and lazy :sl:
True! :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Oct 15 2009 10:20 pm

I'm just a scrambler, but I want to be a alpine trad climber.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 16 2009 4:46 pm

Well, I am not aspiring to that stuff right at the moment, (I seem to have the biking and river running bugs right now) but I have climbed Mt. Russell! Just a normal route, I guess, but: Yikes!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 16 2009 5:08 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Well, I am not aspiring to that stuff right at the moment, (I seem to have the biking and river running bugs right now) but I have climbed Mt. Russell! Just a normal route, I guess, but: Yikes!
ANY ascent beats the alternative!! ;)
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 16 2009 6:23 pm

Yeah, what I remember was looking straight down about 2,000 vertical feet to where there was a frozen lake! :o
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Hikergirl81
janellopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by Hikergirl81 » Oct 17 2009 1:31 am

;) I agree I try to stay away from the arrogant, mouthy climbers... At least now I do, Live and learn, right?
Also, I consider it a skill for something more; but in the meantime it has helped me get in incredible shape.
I don't have a computer… Not because I'm against having one. Really just hasn't been a top priority on my gear list.
I am now attempting to navigate, post, reply (etc..) this site with only an iPhone… Wish me luck!

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 17 2009 4:31 am

I think going to the climbing gym and doing sport climbing IS fun and IS incredible exercise. The fact that many of its participants seem to feel free to have an attitude doesn't make it a bad thing to do. And you don't have to act like them, of course. Maybe even you can set a good example, as my mother used to say. Sigh...

I always thought if I moved back to an area where there is a gym and where there are other climbers I might get back into it again, but like you were saying, I'd want to be gaining skills and strength to use in exploring canyons, climbing some interesting peaks, etc.

Speaking of arrogant people, some of the worst are road bikers. I belong to a club in Yuma where the (snowbird) members actively practice road courtesy toward car drivers. They want to promote a better image of the roadie. It's probably an uphill battle, but they do try.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 17 2009 6:44 am

The gym here is a real gamble; some days you can get in and work a few routes or boulder without any major issues and some days you can't even complete a route or problem without fifteen noobs sketching right through your line or hitting you with a belay rope, etc. Then there's the screaming, cussing, and other assorted obnoxiousness...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Oct 17 2009 7:50 am

Wow. When I was climbing back in Flag at VR, I never had any sorts of problems with the other climbers. Even if things were busy, we'd hang out until a route opened up, talk and spot for our buddies. Things sound a bit different!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Oct 17 2009 4:45 pm

Whats with all this talk of other people? I thought the fun was getting out away from everyone. Maybe that's one reason I prefer summits and could care less about sport climbing.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 17 2009 5:07 pm

Hence why I rarely venture into the gym. I've got the beginning of my own wall in the backyard, in fact. Good for training... :)
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 18 2009 6:19 am

NOW you're talkin'! Your own wall! That's so neat!

It never used to be a problem at Rocks 'n' Ropes in Tucson, seems like people either knew or were guided to the walls best suited to their abilities. But I haven't been there in years.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 18 2009 7:45 am

They have always had a laissez-faire system of controlling what goes on in there. I can remember helping Chris hang plywood for one of those 5.7 walls that are still there by the door, those were some of the last to go in. We were just so excited that there was a gym to rain in, many of us started showing up before there the place was finished. Those were awesome days; the New Year's party up there was fun every year, etc, but those days are gone. That same hands-off style has now allowed people to run rampant all over the place and basically do whatever they want...and, really, has for years ever since he made agreements with some of the local schools making climbing an "After-school activity" and his gym a de-facto daycare center. That was the real beginning of the fall. Then some newsletter went out that this was the cool place to take a date, especially if you were in a frat, and the rest is history... :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 18 2009 5:43 pm

Ugh. Well, we did belong to that Explorer post for a short while, I have to admit. Remember that one? That must have been about 1997 or so.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 18 2009 8:31 pm

Are they still around?
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 19 2009 5:16 am

Good grief, I don't know. The leader and his daughter who were supposedly in charge were not even climbers. (I'll avoid rude comments here...) I think it fell apart. It needed new leadership. I went to the adult leader training to be an associate advisor, but at that time it seemed that my kids and I were the only active members. We were the only ones showing up for the free Thursday climbing sessions. There never seemed to be any post meetings, etc. and no other kids. I guess we got into it after a lot of kids had graduated or gone on to other things. It could be that someone else started one, though. Rocks 'n' Ropes seemed very willing to be the sponsoring organization. We had to quit going after awhile as we had other things going on. I always wanted to keep on going, though.

Never heard that before, about Chris helping build that wall. I remember that wall well!

Return to “Climbing”