Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Fritzski
Legend Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Looking for indoor climbing partners

Post by Fritzski » Nov 01 2010 8:28 am

I have an Irregular schedule, but would like to go about twice a week, and maybe outdoors when able. Checked out "lead" and willing to climb at PRG, AZR, and Climbmax. Shoot me an email at fritzski@aol.com if you're interested.

Hikergirl81
janellopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Re: Looking for indoor climbing partners

Post by Hikergirl81 » Nov 01 2010 3:23 pm

I spend a lot of my time climbing. I climb at PRG and boulder at Climbmax. I also love to spend my weekends adventure climbing. Juliachaos, nonot, pickletree, Johnr1 and AZpride are just a few of the fellow HAZers that I have enjoyed climbing with. A lot of us have been climbing at PRG on Wednesdays. You are very welcome to join us. The same offer goes to anyone that is curious and wants to try it. PM me or you can just come introduce yourself to me and let me know you're there to climb with me. :) Janelle
I don't have a computer… Not because I'm against having one. Really just hasn't been a top priority on my gear list.
I am now attempting to navigate, post, reply (etc..) this site with only an iPhone… Wish me luck!

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Nov 15 2010 4:17 pm

fritzski, sent you a PM

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli

Post by trekkin_gecko » Jan 06 2011 5:29 pm

is anyone interested in climbing at phoenix rock gym weekday afternoons at 3:00?

if so, send me a pm

rocklover
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by rocklover » Jan 22 2011 7:23 am

Hello,
I recently moved to Arizona and want to get back into climbing. Although my first priority is finding a job, I'd also love to find myself back on the vertical. At my peak I led (sport) 5.10c and toproped hard 5.11's without falls. It's been years since I've climbed and although I am weak I'm pretty sure I still have some technique. I have gear - harness, shoes, rope, a small rack. I just need a mental boost from unemployment and I think climbing will help. I want to find a balance between spending time indoors looking for a job on my computer and being active outdoors! I am also very much interested in hiking! Hoping to meet people who are healthy, active and supportive!
Rocklover
Last edited by rocklover on Jan 23 2011 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

maxpower
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by maxpower » Jan 22 2011 8:09 am

rocklover wrote:Hello,
I recently moved to Arizona and want to get back into climbing.....
Welcome to HAZ and to Arizona! I've never tried indoor climbing (or outdoor for that matter) and I wish there was an indoor climbing place here in Prescott. Even at my "social security" age, I'm still up for new things to try! :sweat:

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 22 2011 12:35 pm

Max, there's Vertical Relief in Flag. I'm taking a class there. Now, mind you, I don't expect to get really good at it. I'm just doing it for fun and exercise. I may take up some easy canyoneering later on as well, using some of the skills, if there are people to do it with. That is my main reason for wanting to get back into rock climbing.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

johnr1
Climbapelli
City, State: tempe, az

Post by johnr1 » Jan 22 2011 2:13 pm

rocklover wrote:Hello,
I recently moved to Arizona and want to get back into climbing. I want to find a balance between spending time indoors looking for a job on my computer and being active outdoors! I
Rocklover
take a look at meetup.com and the phoenix rock climbing group. I think you will find a diverese group with indoor and outdoor events. If you led 10 before, you should get your lead head back pretty quick for the moderate sport routes that we frequent.

Come over to Phoenix Rock Gym on University in Tempe any wednesday night at 7pm and you will run into a good number of the active group. Just ask at the desk for meetup and they will give you the discount

PM if you would like more details

Welcome to Phoenix
JR1

maxpower
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by maxpower » Jan 22 2011 5:14 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Max, there's Vertical Relief in Flag. I'm taking a class there. Now, mind you, I don't expect to get really good at it. I'm just doing it for fun and exercise. I may take up some easy canyoneering later on as well, using some of the skills, if there are people to do it with. That is my main reason for wanting to get back into rock climbing.
I had heard about this! Originally I was going to buy a place in Flagstaff and knowing there was an indoor climbing facility was icing on the cake. Then we ended up moving to Prescott instead. It's about 1:30 / 1:45 for me to drive to Flag from here...I'll have to give it some thought as to whether or not it's something I can allocate time for. Right now I'm doing bike workouts at the health club most days during the week and then hiking on weekends. I'll still keep it in mind!!

rocklover
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by rocklover » Jan 23 2011 7:22 am

@maxpower
Thanks for the welcome. Although I've not climbed in Prescott, I know there is climbing at Granite Mountain, Thumb Butte, etc. and I think the YMCA has a climbing wall. My Mom lives in Flagstaff and I've climbed at Vertical Relief. Although it is quite a distance from Prescott, it was a fun place to climb. Vertical Relief may have a bulletin board where you can post and where others are looking for climbing partners.

rocklover
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by rocklover » Jan 23 2011 7:28 am

@johnr1
Hi and thanks for the info. I'll check out the other sites. I'd love to join the climbing group on Wednesday night and will do my best to motivate and get there!

maxpower
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by maxpower » Jan 23 2011 9:15 am

rocklover wrote:@maxpower
Thanks for the welcome. Although I've not climbed in Prescott, I know there is climbing at Granite Mountain, Thumb Butte, etc. and I think the YMCA has a climbing wall. My Mom lives in Flagstaff and I've climbed at Vertical Relief. Although it is quite a distance from Prescott, it was a fun place to climb. Vertical Relief may have a bulletin board where you can post and where others are looking for climbing partners.
Yes, I'd run into a couple of climbers at Granite Mt. I go up there about once per month just to hike, but there is a nice cliff section for climbing. I am a member of the Prescott YMCA, but I don't recall there being any climbing facilities there, and there are none listed on their website. But I am going to ask when I go down tomorrow for my bike spin class!

justkidn
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by justkidn » Feb 06 2011 1:27 pm

Hi everyone! Im also new to the area (just moved from Vegas) and looking for climbing partners. Been climbing since 1993 but only able to get out sparingly for the past year or so. Have gear (trad rack is still in Vegas), time, 4 wheel-drive and willing to climb sport, trad, boulder, gym (weekdays).....
If anyone is looking to get out shoot me a message!
jkvegasclimber@gmail.com

Also, I travel back to Vegas frequently so if you want to climb there I would be more than willing to give ya the locals tour!

John

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 09 2011 12:59 pm

It's gratifying to know I can still do a tolerable 5.8 in the climbing gym at age-almost-58, after not having climbed at all for more than 10 years. I'm working on trying some 5.9's now! Yippee! I've been taking an NAU PE class at Vertical Relief, in Flag. I hope to get outside and climb at some point, if I can find some people to do it with.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

johnr1
Climbapelli

Post by johnr1 » Feb 09 2011 4:32 pm

Good job getting back on the wall.

The Phoenix Rock Climbing meetup group goes to Jack's canyon a lot during the summer. Always people to climb with and also to set up the top ropes. Jacks is not too far from Flagstaff so you might consider that option. We would be glad to have you attend events around Phoenix if you are up for the drive.

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli

Post by trekkin_gecko » Mar 14 2011 10:41 am

putting this out there again
would like to find a climbing partner to hit phoenix rock gym at 3:00 p.m. early in the week
post reply or p.m.

sscalzo
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: scottsdale, az

Post by sscalzo » Mar 27 2012 7:02 am

I'm looking for climbing partners indoor and outdoor. I just started and working on 5.9 in gym and some sloppy 5.10s. I bought rope and stuff for outdoor climbing but not comfortable leading and have only been out a few times. I live a few miles from camelback and would be up for climbing almost any day. The previous posts are all pretty old so if anyone is currently available, please PM me!

Also, PRG and AZ on the rocks are the best gym options for me.

Thanks,

Steve

johnr1
Climbapelli

Post by johnr1 » Mar 27 2012 9:11 am

Steve: Although Fritzie started this thread 2 years ago the info is still pretty accurate.

The Phoenix Rock Climbing meetup group climbs indoors at PRG on Tuesday and Thursday nights at 7pm. They also meet Wednesday night 7u pm at AZ on the Rocks in Scottsdale. There is an outdoor sport climbing event at least monthly and all you need are harness and shoes. Top ropes are set for moderate routes and there are competent lead belayers if you want to lead. Events are posted on meetup.com http://www.meetup.com/rockclimbing-114

Hope to see you (and anybody else interested in climbing)

John

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » May 30 2012 1:44 pm

Today on 'Livingsocial.com'

AZ on the Rocks

One-Month Rock-Climbing Facility Membership with Unlimited Visits and Equipment Rental for Child, Student, or Government Employee ($18) or Adult ($25) (regularly $60).
http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1723 ... membership
kurt

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » May 30 2012 3:56 pm

I saw that..... :)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Return to “Climbing”