Linked Guides none
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2020-01-01

# of days 1

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

9th Annual New Year's Day Topper

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 29 2019 2:11 pm

Where did the 9 Years go??? It was a little over 9 Years ago that I joined this Site! And here we go again! :y: The Time is almost here for another Party! Anybody up for that? As always Weather is not a Guarantee, but so far we've lucked out on the Day of.

This one is a Surprise Party, with the Surprise Location revealed the week before. There is no Page on HAZ for this Hike, but I think you will all enjoy it and the Views immensely. Hopefully it is far enough out, we won't get the Smoke from New Year's Eve. We've been lucky there too!

Things I will tell you now. It is mainly NE of Town this Year. Roughly 25 minutes from Carefree. The "TH" is accessible to all Vehicles. It is entirely off-trail, but surprisingly there is a use/game Trail almost the whole way. If you do the Loop like I did, it's 3.65 Miles RT, 1128 AEG. If you do an Out and Back, it will be around 3.25 Miles and a little over 1200 AEG. It's a Roller Coaster Ride going up, with the 1st two "Hills" and the final climb up being fairly steep. Coming down those will not be a Picnic, with Hard Packed Ground and that wonderful very fine scree. So wear your Best Treads and if you like to use Hiking Poles on steep downs, bring them. But the Rewarding Views after topping out on each Hill are totally worth it. And the Top Views, well, it may be a small Peak but you can see for Miles. And what lays out before you is really Sweet!

For those of you that are new to my New Year's Treks, I pick something just a bit or more out of Town, that is short and sweet. It'll get the Heart Rate up (especially with the Loads we take up) and it's doable for just about everyone! If you're a fast Hiker and get up to Peaks fast, bring warm Clothes for the Top. We all go at our own Pace and the Party doesn't start until the last Person is up! So you Super Hikers may have a bit of a Wait at the Top. Based on past New Year's Day Hikes, it may be cold for everyone, so take that into consideration.

Even though I'm not stating the Location of this one yet, I did do a Triplog/Photoset on my Scouting Trip. [ Triplog ] I hope to see some Prior Participants as well as some new Faces, so mark your Calendars!

I will Post more Details, including Location, Start Time and Directions just before Christmas, so stay tuned!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Return to “Hiking Events”