Start Date 2017-08-11

# of days 3

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Summer HAZFest 2017

Post by chumley » May 12 2017 12:24 pm

August 11-13, 2017
The requests keep coming ... so mark your calendar.

Within a couple miles of White Horse Lake southeast of Williams. Driving directions to the exact site are available later in this thread. Click here.
View/download a map of the location and the two best driving routes here: https://hikearizona.com/map.php?MY=30973&M=3

You may arrive or depart at anytime. Visit for an hour, stay for one night, or three. Whatever fits your schedule. It would be great to see familiar faces and be introduced to new ones.

Everybody is welcome. There are no restrictions.
But, please respect fellow attendees. I wouldn't personally bring children since we tend to stay up late and make a bit of noise. Dogs are welcomed as long as you can control them and they don't bother people or other dogs. Common sense things.

Disclaimer:
Nothing is provided. This is dispersed camping in the middle of a national forest. There are no restrooms, no water, nothing. Bring what you need. You are responsible for yourself. Bring your own food, shelter, etc. You are responsible for taking your own trash back home with you. There is no trash service here. Access is via a dirt road that is sedan accessible. High clearance is preferred, but not necessary, especially if you are accustomed to driving your vehicle on forest roads. If this isn't something you normally do, proceed at your own risk. I take no responsibility for your vehicle, the drive, or anything that happens to you or your property while getting to/from, or at HAZfest. You are on your own.

A fire will be built, maintained, and safely extinguished. Everything else is up to you.

Bonus: While there will be a bright sky as a result of the moon and monsoon clouds are always a possibility, Saturday night is the peak of the Perseid Meteor Shower, so a sky show is possible for those who venture away from the fire.

I hope to see you there!

Please post comments or questions in this thread, or PM me directly and I will gladly respond.

---
Individual participants may schedule group hikes, drives, biking, fishing, kayaking, climbing, photography, etc. as daily activities, and then reconvene at camp with the larger group in the evening. Some of the known options nearby are listed below:
Hiking:
White Horse Lake Trail
Sycamore Rim Loop
Overland Historic Trail
Pomeroy Tanks
Scholz Lake
Summit Mountain
Davenport Hill
Dogtown Lake
Bill Williams Mountain (Benham Trail will be closest access)
Hell Canyon
Bear Canyon
Climbing at Paradise Forks and Priest Draw
Mountain biking on a variety of FS roads
Kayaking and fishing at White Horse, Dogtown, and Scholz Lakes
Wildlife viewing and photography all over including Garland Prairie and Sunflower Flat
Last edited by chumley on Aug 08 2017 12:45 am, edited 5 times in total.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Summer HAZFest 2017

Post by outdoor_lover » Aug 08 2017 2:31 pm

@chumley
I think in your Directions from Flag, you transposed 110 and 109 according to the Forest Service Map, unless I'm reading it wrong.... Turn left on 109 and turn right on 110?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Aug 08 2017 2:52 pm

Well I bought a single burner stove so I can cook for Rowdy and a Air mattress so he is comfy at night.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Aug 08 2017 2:56 pm

@outdoor_lover
Thanks for catching that. It's been corrected now.
Ja vi elsker dette landet

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Aug 09 2017 9:55 am

Anybody coming to HAZfest active duty or former military/reservist/national guard? Shoot me a PM.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Aug 09 2017 3:16 pm

I am looking to buy a new cooler and I will be using dry ice. Any suggestions?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Aug 09 2017 5:39 pm

Widowmaker wrote:buy a new cooler
my old coleman extreme is decent. of course, it does not have a "bear proof" claim.
they are priced low tho, not insane like Yeti. coleman x-treme beat Magellan and Ozark for temp control in a few tests i've seen.
there's a bunch out there. Rtic, Gatorbox, etc..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4asFxo8s8
difference here: $$$
yeti is pricey like range rover: meaning it's users will never ever get it out and test it for any reason.. it's the Coach purse of the camping world..
the coleman xtreme is like.. $70 compared to the mind-boggling, $450 of the tundra.
:D

Hikergirl81
janellopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by Hikergirl81 » Aug 09 2017 8:59 pm

In my neck of the woods!! :)
I don't have a computer… Not because I'm against having one. Really just hasn't been a top priority on my gear list.
I am now attempting to navigate, post, reply (etc..) this site with only an iPhone… Wish me luck!

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Aug 10 2017 9:38 am

Widowmaker wrote:I am looking to buy a new cooler and I will be using dry ice. Any suggestions?
Unless you want everything frozen, don't use dry ice.
Go find a LonelyCache

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Aug 10 2017 3:51 pm

Heading up in the morning and then hoping to hit Sycamore Canyon Rim Loop before settling into camp.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Aug 10 2017 8:41 pm

@rcorfman
With no dry ice
Rowdy and Widowmaker

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Aug 11 2017 9:56 am

Update!!

Camp looks good. It drizzled a little last night but the area is still mostly dry. Expecting afternoon showers today and tomorrow (40-50% chance according to the forecast). We have a couple of canopies and tarps set up for shelter during any storms that pass over camp.

There were a few pesky mosquitoes last night so you may want to bring some deet.

The campground at white horse lake is 3 miles away and besides bathrooms and potable water there's a little food truck that sells ice cream and hamburgers. Just so you know. :)

I drove in via garland prairie and from I-40 it took me about 25 minutes. (40 min from Flagstaff).

We have a pack of horses that like to visit us and are very friendly. Bring apples!! :D Other sightings include deer, elk, cows, a badger, a cat (felus catus), and a bunch of birds if that's your thing.

Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone tonight and tomorrow.

Note: there is sometimes Verizon text capability at camp. But absolutely no internet. There is spotty but better service within a couple of miles on high points.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Aug 11 2017 1:31 pm

well, we tried.. :sweat:
:D

Hippy
Grand-opelli
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Aug 13 2017 2:49 pm

I didn't go because I heard there'd be no cookies...

I went to Vegas to see The Who at Cesar's Palace...there were cookies.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Aug 14 2017 3:21 pm

Chumley did an Amazing Job of Organizing this... I knew from before that he was pretty Detail Oriented, but he went above and beyond on this Trip and was thoroughly Impressive... He had an Answer and Solution for Everything...Great Job Chumley, you pulled it off again, in spite of the Weather. And nonot certainly did not disappoint either. A Bonfire in the Rain and with 2" more Inches of Water at Camp, it didn't even make that Fire blink....

If anyone is interested in the Sycamore Canyon Rim Loop during the Monsoon Season and wants to add just a Hint of Epic to an easy 11 1/2 Mile Hike. Go Clockwise, starting at Pomeroy Tanks. Check the Weather to ensure that the last 1 1/2 Hours and 4 Miles has 3" of Rain, Hail, and of course, Lightning... This will guarantee that you have no Chance of seeing anything beyond the Rim Edge, but you will have Creeks, Flashing Drainages and Cascading Water on the Trail for the Duration of your Hike. You will also have Waterfalls, Cascades and brief Flashes of Light to brighten your Day and increase your MPH and Endurance.... :sweat:
DSCN2069p.jpg
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Aug 14 2017 3:31 pm

outdoor_lover wrote:He had an Answer ... for Everything
I'll admit only to having a response for everything. I rarely have the answer. :sweat:

amy1300
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix. AZ

Post by amy1300 » Aug 15 2017 12:26 pm

Sorry I ended up missing this one - I hope a good time was had by all.
"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy . . ." -- John Denver :D

Return to “Hiking Events”