Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2017-06-24

# of days 2

Hiking_Fool
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Humphrey's Peak Backpack via Inner Basin Trail

Post by Hiking_Fool » Jun 18 2017 7:36 pm

I am planning a Humphrey’s Peak Backpack via Inner Basin Trail. If you want to join me let me know and we could meet at the McDonald's at I-17 and Carefree Hwy at 6:00 AM Saturday morning 6-24-17. I have room for 3 people in my truck.

This trip is not for beginner backpackers. However, I am not a super fast hiker and will be hiking at a moderate pace. Keep in mind there are no reliable water sources so you will need to carry enough water for two days.

Saturday Morning 6-24-17
Carpool to the Inner Basin Trailhead in Lockett Meadow we should arrive around 9 AM. We’ll start hiking the Inner Basin Trail 3.7 miles to the Weatherford Trail. We’ll turn right (West) on the Weatherford Trail and hike another 1.5 miles to Fremont Saddle for a total mileage of 5.25 miles and elevation gain of 2,575’. NOTE Fremont Saddle is incorrectly named Doyle Saddle on a lot of maps. We will be camping at Fremont Saddle which is in between Agassiz Peak and Fremont Peak.

Sunday Morning 6/25: We’ll pack up and hike the remaining 3 miles to Summit Humphrey's Peak. After we’ve reached the summit, we’ll turn around and hike back down to the truck and drive back to Phoenix. Total for the day: 11 miles, 1,500’ elevation gain, 4,000’ elevation loss.
Refer to HikeAZ for a full hike description and GPS tracks [ Humphreys via Inner Basin ]

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Humphrey's Peak Backpack via Inner Basin Trail

Post by Tough_Boots » Jun 18 2017 9:01 pm

You may still have a couple annoying snowdrifts left on the Weatherford and most likely some snow in the trees that might make climbing up to Fremont Saddle a bit of a task.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

fan3992
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Chandler,az

Post by fan3992 » Jun 19 2017 12:04 pm

I will come from Schultz Pass TH to Fremont saddle and camping overnight there on 6/24/17. see you there. should be a lot of people from BCH that day too but look like they canceled the trip.

Hiking_Fool
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Hiking_Fool » Jun 19 2017 2:23 pm

@fan3992
I saw that BCH was doing the same trip on Friday however I could not get the time off. They also have a group car camping late Saturday night and hiking the other side trail 151 on Sunday however I wanted to camp at the saddle. Maybe I will see you up there. Have a good time.

Hiking_Fool
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Hiking_Fool » Jun 19 2017 2:24 pm

Tough Boots thanks for the heads up on the snow.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jun 19 2017 4:51 pm

the only reason i have never hiked this route, and camped at the saddle, is the lack of water along the route to Humphreys.
it's kinda odd, to me, now that i think of it.. Humphreys is maybe the only peak i can think of that does not have a reliable spring somewhere along it's trails. huh.
:D

Hiking_Fool
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Hiking_Fool » Jun 19 2017 5:11 pm

@te_wa
It is a dry trail.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jun 19 2017 5:21 pm

i might go. i have to figure if i wanna make this a dayhike, returning to lockett in the pm. i'll have the littles, but that's no matter. they can do this trail.
i also have some logistics and planning for the san jacinto hike with tema, the week after.

i'll let you know
:D

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » Jun 19 2017 6:18 pm

Hiking_Fool wrote:It is a dry trail.
It was a running creek when I did it.
Go find a LonelyCache

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Jun 19 2017 7:04 pm

te_wa wrote:Humphreys is maybe the only peak i can think of that does not have a reliable spring somewhere along it's trails.
I believe it has lots of reliable springs. They just get pumped out immediately from the sources.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jun 19 2017 8:42 pm

te_wa wrote:the only reason i have never hiked this route, and camped at the saddle, is the lack of water along the route to Humphreys.
It's shorter than hiking from the Weatherford TH (and more scenic), so I wouldn't mind hauling an extra day of water.

Hiking_Fool
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Hiking_Fool » Jun 19 2017 8:54 pm

@Tough_Boots
You are right the City of Flagstaff pumps a lot of water I just dont know of any reliable sources this time of year accessible to filter from. However if anyone knows a good source let me know.

wha
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Arizona

Post by wha » Jun 19 2017 10:07 pm

"This immense stratovolcano captures large amounts or rain and snowfall, yet surface water is scarce. Moisture drains down rapidly through fractured bedrock and much is sponged up by porous volcanic rock. The closest river, the Little Colorado, is connected to the peaks by drainages but rarely receives water directly." - informational sign

flagscott
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Jun 20 2017 6:41 am

Does anyone know if the springs that get pumped away now ever flowed above ground? I did some digging on the net once, but I couldn't find an answer to this question.

Hiking_Fool
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Hiking_Fool » Jun 20 2017 10:59 am

@big_load
The inner basin is nice, and you have to like the aspens.

arizona_water
aguapelli
City, State: Salt River Valley

Post by arizona_water » Jun 20 2017 12:50 pm

@flagscott
Some of the freshwater ecologists at NAU told me that there used to be a perennial pond in the inner basin that was fed by the springs before they were diverted. I'm assuming that it covered the now ephemeral pond by Locket Meadow Campground.
Dr. Abe Springer has catalogued many of the historic springs in the state and will be able to answer your question, if you want to contact him. ( https://nau.edu/CEFNS/NatSci/SESES/Faculty/Springer/ )
- there's nothing like finding Water in the Desert -

flagscott
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Jun 20 2017 1:01 pm

arizona_water wrote:Dr. Abe Springer has catalogued many of the historic springs in the state and will be able to answer your question, if you want to contact him. ( https://nau.edu/CEFNS/NatSci/SESES/Faculty/Springer/ )
Sure, sure, there's really a scientist who studies springs named Springer. I'm not falling for that one. :lol:

In seriousness, thanks!

The_Dude
Hortipelli

Post by The_Dude » Jun 21 2017 9:43 am

@flagscott
Hey, some of us are born into our sciences. My last name is Grass and I am in the business of growing those and other desert natives. :D

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jun 21 2017 11:12 am

te_wa wrote:the only reason i have never hiked this route, and camped at the saddle, is the lack of water along the route to Humphreys.
This is a perfect time to go - I have backpacked and stayed on Fremont saddle many times in June.... Just bring extra fuel and melt some snow - Also works well to chill ones beer and/or bourbon!
kurt

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 21 2017 1:00 pm

By the way, isn't there a thread that shows why the map is not wrong about Fremont Saddle, even though everyone thinks it is? Also, a bit of trivia in regards to the title of this post, Humphreys Peak was named after a Civil War officer, General Andrew A. Humphreys.

(Once a spelling nerd always a spelling nerd. :D )
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Hiking Events”