Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2018-01-01

# of days 1

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

7th Annual New Year's Day Hike

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 03 2017 12:04 pm

Year 7, can you believe it??? :y: I'm Posting this a bit earlier than Usual, but this has been on my List for a bit now and seemed like a No-Brainer for a New Year's Day Hike! Plus, I figured that with the Weather finally getting nice, some would be Eyeing this Peak! What better day to do it??? Join Us! Plenty of Heads Up Time, so put it on your Calendar! Last Year was pretty Tame, since I was still in Rehab for my Ankle, so this Year I thought we were Overdue for something a little more "Strenuous".... :D And it is all Off-Trail... :lol: The Good News is although there's a bit of AEG on this one, it's Short.... :sweat: Hope you'll Join us for a Party on a Peak and Ring in the New Year in Style! :D More Details to Follow as we get Closer...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: 7th Annual New Year's Day Hike

Post by chumley » Nov 03 2017 12:26 pm

For anybody who hasn't done this, the description as written on HAZ is a bit outdated. There's a well defined use trail all the way to the saddle. Some might call it an actual trail.

And while there is definitely a class 3 scramble for 20 feet above the saddle and the route is a bit less-defined in some steep scree above there, there is definitely no class-5 climbing required! :lol:

It's a fun one if you don't mind some aggressive elevation gain, using your hands a couple of times, and a little bit of loose footing around prickly desert obstacles! :sweat:

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Nov 03 2017 1:59 pm

We bumped into Chumley coming off the peak when we were heading up earlier this year. It's a great peak. Might even see some sheep up there.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 03 2017 7:10 pm

@chumley
Thank You for that Chumley...I've read the Triplogs and figured out there was an "easier" way up there than what the Description states. We will be following the Better Route for sure! Nice to know there's at least a Use type Trail for some of it!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Nov 04 2017 6:39 am

Now that tract houses have made it within a few miles of Saddle Mountain, it's seeing enough activity that the trails are now easier to follow than they were a few years ago when I first went up there. There is a dirt road that I took my Mazda 3 on, but I would recommend taking something with a tad more clearance. I bottomed out a couple of times. But if you drive slow and pick the right line, any passenger car can make it back to the trailhead parking.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Nov 09 2017 7:44 pm

If we get good weather, I am available, and the start time isn't too early, I am in.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Nov 15 2017 6:37 am

@SpiderLegs oing to be A LOT more in a few years, as the Belmont area is where Bill Gates is building his "smart city" ...
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Nov 15 2017 4:47 pm

@kingsnake - by then I'm more than likely not going to live in Phoenix. For the time being enjoy it while I can.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Nov 15 2017 5:06 pm

SpiderLegs wrote:For the time being enjoy it while I can.
that was your 666th post. your time is short, my friend. buwahahahaha
:D

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Nov 15 2017 9:13 pm

@te_wa - I better put on my Iron Maiden albums tomorrow.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Dec 06 2017 11:48 pm

⛰️ 🕛 this is a great hike 😉 ⛄
🎈👯‍♀️ 🎆 🐉 🎊 🍾 🍺 🥂
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 07 2017 5:42 am

If anyone needs a little more holiday spirit and in keeping with the theme, there is a Saddle Mountain Brewery right off the freeway heading back into town. Had the good fortune once to sit at the bar next to the owner's dad. He regaled me with stories of the Saddle Mountain area from the 50's and told me that he put in most of the "roads" around the base of Saddle Mountain with his bulldozer. His family had a bunch of mining claims in the area.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 07 2017 7:33 am

@SpiderLegs
You had me at brewery :lol:
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Dec 07 2017 8:36 am

It's great and it is easy! Saddle Mt isn't like Big Horn, or Woolsey in terms of difficulty or cholla forests. Once we find the social trail, it is an easy summit.

Access is easy, unlike Woolsey, Signal or Kofa hikes. There are Bighorn sheep out here, I've seen them both times I was here. I had some red tails and ravens flying overhead last month, too.

Nice views, including views all the way to Saudi Arabia, or at least their farms for their dairies back home. Plus, views of the other western desert summits and ranges I enjoy.

In fact, for most interested people, it seems like the only draw back is that this hike isn't in the Superstitions, where everyone and their grandmother from Minnesota goes in January.

This actually is one of the easiest and best of the western desert summits, as defined from north of Mexico, east of the Colorado River, west of the Valley ranges, and south of the US 93 Corridor, Wickenburg, and the Harcuvar Range and Bill Williams River. I mean, with a defined region such as that.....?

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 07 2017 8:50 pm

@Jim_H - I've mentioned this once or twice here before. But a few years ago I stumbled onto the Desert Hikers group of the LA area Sierra Club. They had triplogs going back to the 50's of people coming out from SoCal to hike our peaks in Western AZ. Saddle Mountain, Woolsey and others were popular with the group back then. Going out on a limb here, but thinking more people from California have hiked some of the western peaks of AZ than people from AZ have.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 08 2017 8:12 am

SpiderLegs wrote:thinking more people from California have hiked some of the western peaks of AZ than people from AZ have.
If not more, I'm sure it is quite a few.
I've seen many summit logs with entries by the LA area Sierra Club as far as eastern, so they do get around.
CannondaleKid

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Dec 08 2017 9:04 am

Perhaps folks are more apt to sign in after such a long drive.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 08 2017 10:01 am

Barbara Lilley, et al, from Desert Peaks Section.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 08 2017 10:08 am

I don't do enough West of Town and I should... Good thing I do this Event, it gets me out that Direction more...lol Looking forward to this Event and I'll have the Usual Fare to take with us to Bag this One... The Brewery sounds like a Great Post Hike Stop for sure!

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Dec 20 2017 8:45 am

Just curious, what time are we meeting up, probably at the TH, too? Just to express a personal preference based on the drive, 9 AM, or later. You know, so it is warmer for this hike. It was so nice when I was out there in November.

Nice to see a few more people signing up, too.

Return to “Hiking Events”