Start Dateorganizer has not set a date

# of days 1

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Friends Hiking :: Black Canyon Canoe Trip Sep 27/28

Post by hikeaz » Jun 11 2003 7:26 pm

Hoover Dam/Black Canyon Canoe Trip
Saturday & Sunday September 27th & 28th
Leader: Kurt Sedler ( mail@friendshiking.com)
Length: TBD
Phone: 602-339-8780 Rated: Easy

$65.00 non-refundable deposit will secure your spot – Contact Kurt

This is a terrific opportunity to canoe the Colorado River through Black Canyon. We’ll do a few short hikes into hot spring side canyons. We’ll camp at Arizona Hot Springs beach, where we have a short, 10 minute, hike to some terrific hot springs. This is all flat water canoeing, and no experience is required. We’ll put-in early Saturday, after being picked up at the take-out (Willow Beach), and shuttled to the put-in just below Hoover Dam. We’ll take-out on Sunday afternoon about 1 or 2.
This trip is a Club favorite, do not waste this opportunity. Reserve your spot NOW
kurt

Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Jun 12 2003 11:08 am

I'm interested, can we use our own boats? I'd like to bring a kayak.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Jun 12 2003 1:55 pm

You may; however the rate is the same as if you rent a canoe, according to the outfitter.

Also, for an add'l charge above the 65., touring kayaks may be rented. I'd guess that it would run 95 ttl.
kurt

Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Jun 12 2003 7:36 pm

Cool, me and several friends may be interested. Would you mind if I shared this trip with my Canoe and Kayak club?
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

Mick
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Mick » Jun 16 2003 3:33 pm

Hello -we would be into this too. Have two Swifty Kayaks -not much experience. Could outfitter
shuttle our boats back to start?

AZMick

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Jun 24 2003 4:09 pm

In response to Mick's reply:
No sweat, but they will shuttle us to the PUT-IN, and we'll canoe/kayak back to the take-out (Willow Beach)
Can you kayakers "self-outfit" (space)
kurt

Mick

Post by Mick » Jun 27 2003 12:19 pm

John -I am sure we can though room in the swifty is limited for supplies. What items
would you recommend?
AZMick

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jun 27 2003 2:44 pm

Mick, I think John died :lol:

It's Kurt I believe :wink:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Kenny
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Kenny » Jun 27 2003 2:49 pm

Joe,
I think John is on ice in Scottsdale?? ...or is that someone else?
But for practical purposes .... he will have no more quotes.
His lips are sealed. :D

Is Albert going? :D

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Jul 07 2003 1:25 pm

Duffle bag (or other soft luggage - no hard-frame backpacks), sleeping bag, sleeping pad, waterjugs (enough for one gallon per person per day- or water filter), gloves, poncho (or rain suit), low folding chair, binoculars, cooking gear, provisions, plastic bags (ziplocs and trash), rope to secure supplies, sunglasses with strap or leash, litter bags, old tennis shoes (or water shoes or socks), sunscreen lotion (SPF 15 or greater), chapstick, flashlight, bug repellent, wide brim hat, long and short pants, lightweight long and short sleeve shirts, medium weight jacket, swimsuit, towel, personal toiletries, camera (waterproof or single-use), first aid kit, maps, fishing gear, small tent.
For most Colorado River canoe and kayak trips, nothing beats an old-fashioned duffle bag. GI Style canvas, zippered nylon or cotton, any near-standard duffle bag is great. If you have one, a Boundary Bag is even better. Food and cooking gear, as well as tents and tarps can be separate, but all personal gear, including sleeping bags, foam pads, clothes, fishing gear, etc., should be put in one duffle per person.

TO PACK
Line the inside of the bag with two or three plastic trash bags - NOT THE OUTSIDE. Then line the bag with your sleeping pad. Stuff your sleeping bag inside on the bottom - as TIGHTLY as you can.

On top of your sleeping bag, pack your clothes, toilet articles, fishing gear, cameras, etc. (zip closure type plastic bags are handy for many of these items.)

That's really all there is to it. Close the plastic trash bags with twist ties, then zip up the duffle bag and you're ready to go. You may want to put a few extra plastic bags in on top, so you'll have extras for later in your trip.

TENTS, TARPS, STOVES AND FOOD
Pack these items in boxes, duffle bags, mesh bags or plastic coolers (ice chests) as appropriate.

CAUTION: NOTHING should have plastic bags on the outside. They will tear immediately and end up next to useless.

Bring everything you need to make your trip pleasurable. A canoe full of loose gear is an accident waiting to happen. Duffle bags and canoes were made for each other. Try it!

WARNING
Backpacks are great on the trail, but a hard-frame pack is a misery in a canoe or kayak. These packs do not work for paddling - the frames will be damaged, and you will be frustrated.
kurt

Mick

Post by Mick » Sep 05 2003 3:34 pm

I will be tied up bad with work come the end of the month so will be unable to go. May make this trip some other time. Thanks!
Mick
AZMick

Return to “Hiking Events”