Post by hikeaz » Jul 07 2003 12:58 pm

Channel Islands (Santa Cruz, Ca.) Sea Kayaking
Thurs.-Sun., August 7-10
Leader: Dave Brunstein
Length: N/A
Phone: 480-239-3439
Rated: moderate
Please contact the hike leader for reservations and meeting time/place
We'll leave Phoenix Thursday afternoon, August 7th.
On Friday morning, after some quick kayak lessons, we'll ferry 2 hours to Scorpion Landing on East Santa Cruz Island. We'll then have the weekend (two nights and three days) to kayak, explore sea caves, hike, fish, snorkel, and camp in one of California's most unusual and remote wilderness areas. The ocean and the island are teeming with wildlife and natural beauty. Temperatures will be in the 60's & low 70's (imagine August in Phoenix!). We'll return very late Sunday evening.
No previous kayaking experience is necessary. This can be as safe or as adventurous as you feel comfortable. Most of the kayaking will be done in a protected bay with relatively smooth water.
The cost is $190/person which includes the hotel on Thursday evening, and all permits, ferry, and kayak rental and equipment costs. Carpool gas and meals will be extra. Some specialized gear is required.
kurt

Billy
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Billy » Jul 07 2003 1:11 pm

I am going to go on one of these trips, someday..............I am! Sounds like a great trip.

Elaine2003

Post by Elaine2003 » Jul 08 2003 7:20 am

It sounds amazing!
Just the thought/my invisioning the island alone reminds me of San Juan Islands in WA.

Return to “Hiking Events”