Linked Guides none
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Dateorganizer has not set a date

# of days 1

pfredricks
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Brotherhood among men

Post by pfredricks » Sep 09 2003 3:02 pm

This post was in no way intended to offend ANYONE>Please be kind to its author take this with a grain of salt.
Gentlemen-
The day has finally come when this most greivous email must be dispersed. It seems that men no longer belong in the civilized world. I have noticed a trend in today's society toward androgeny and the deprecitation of "manhood". Women run the world.....not that there's nothing wrong with that ladies. IN any event. I propose that we turn to the woods and make a run for it. We should rekindle the brotherhood of man that existed when we were children.

Personally some of my fondest memories stem from hanging with my childhood buddies and pulling hijinks during our frequent backyard camping expeditions. It occurred to me that perhaps a "man only" backpacking trip may be in order in order to restore our sensibilities and rekindle who we really are as men. Perhaps we could have some dirtclod throwing contest or something. What I am proposing here is a trip where pranks are encouraged, where obnoxious jokes are welcome. A trip where lycra hiking shorts would be strictly verboten. Flasks might be passed about. We could compare the latest equiptment and tell tall tales. We might discuss power tools, and grill humoungous chunks of meat. Shaving will not be permitted/flannel shirts encouraged. Is there any interest? Who knows, just a thought of mine. Any suggestions? Whatta ya think....
-Pete
the arizona chapter of the non woman hating fraternal order of manhood
"I am man, hear me snore"
Last edited by pfredricks on Sep 09 2003 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Sep 09 2003 3:48 pm

Yes, this state of androgeny is grievous indeed. And this call to order comes not a moment too soon. The social order of sexuality has degraded to the point where the men and women are becoming indistinguishable. I would gladly give up the mantle of power to the ladies but that I could commune once more with my brother-man.

I for one will gladly raise the banner of manhood, and retreat into the woods with my fellow men to regroup and rekindle the bond we once shared. You name the rendevouz Pete, and I will be there flask and dirt-clod in hand.

One more member for the arizona chapter of the non woman hating fraternal order of manhood.

Billy
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Billy » Sep 09 2003 3:52 pm

Pfredricks, sounds like a great idea I hope you get some good responses for a camping trip, the women should also do something along the same lines. What do you think ladies? By the way, I like George Carlin too :)

"I am man, hear me snore" how funny, I love it!

sherileeaz

Post by sherileeaz » Sep 09 2003 4:30 pm

Billy wrote:Pfredricks, sounds like a great idea I hope you get some good responses for a camping trip, the women should also do something along the same lines. What do you think ladies? By the way, I like George Carlin too :)

"I am man, hear me snore" how funny, I love it!

Count me in Billy, I think this is a perfect idea.

Regarding this topic, I see no problem with men bonding with men and women bonding with women. There's no reason that they can't bond with each other too on another occasion. There are plenty of hikes and camping events to give everyone an opportunity to hike with the group of their choice.

Great post, Pete. Great idea, Billy.

Oh, I like George Carlin too. Always love how he points out the obvious. One of his obvious quotes, "I always find what I'm looking for in the last place I look." George's response, "why would you look any further?" haha!

Sherileeaz (who grew up with 4 older brothers so I have NO problem with them playing pranks on each other, I had enough in my time being the youngest and only girl! Go for it Guys!! haha)
The value of life lies not in the length of days, but in the use we make of them.

mtoomeyaz
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by mtoomeyaz » Sep 09 2003 4:42 pm

I'm in. I'm in. I'M IN!! .... uh let me check with my wife. Honeeey! Seriously, I like this idea. There can also be scratchin', spittin', belchin', and um... you know...
Mike T
-------------------------------------------------
Less is more

Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Sep 09 2003 5:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: : rambo :

This is why I love this site. Male bonding,aarrgghh, sheiver me timbers and blow me down lads. There's a storm brewing that ain't fit for man nor beast. Aye lads, hoist them stinking sails and lets make waves.
Opps wrong post, sorry.
Reminds me of my military days doing manly things. We won't go into details for the ladies and children sake.

It is an idea and it is perhaps time.

ADGibson
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by ADGibson » Sep 09 2003 7:19 pm

ONO!!! Dirt clod fights! I actually have a scar on my head from a dirt clod fight that we had on the rim, camping with other scouts, when I was about 11. Instead of driving all the way in for medical care we used some dental floss and a bent sewing needle to stitch it up. I think it only took a couple, but of course I cried like crazy. I'm not sure I would do that now as an adult.

Don't you just love these great camping stories? I love when we will all get together and compare scars.

Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Sep 09 2003 7:35 pm

I'm in, wait, I have to ask my wife first, no wait, screw her, I'm in!
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Re: Brotherhood among men

Post by Trishness » Sep 09 2003 9:28 pm

In response to pfredricks' reply:

Great idea pfredrick and I'm not offended by your yen to backpack out with the guys. But if a UFC (unidentified flying clod) should attack you on the trail, it may be from me!!! :) LOL

We ladies like to plan our own thing without the guys around too so I guess it's a moot point.

Have fun y'all and watch out for incoming <and pass me the flask>

George Carlin is the best! Seven words you can never say on television, or on the a website!

Greg Jackson
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Greg Jackson » Sep 09 2003 9:58 pm

Mmmmn,

Dirt Clods... Sounds like fun!
Dog is my co-pilot.

pfredricks

Post by pfredricks » Sep 10 2003 11:27 am

okay great, I guess then the when and where is to be decided.
well how about the weekend of the 27-28th? of this month or is that too soon?
My only next weekend avail. might be the second weekend of October.
I think Hellsgate would be an appropriate place for such an event-it seems far removed from the civilized world. Heck we could even fish there, but, I am open to any suggestions.
Lets get this thing locked. I have a few friends that I am sure will attend.
Arghhhhh
Or do we need to make this more of a camping trip and less a backpacking trip?
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Sep 10 2003 3:24 pm

The 27/28th sounds good to me. I definately won't be able to go the second weekend of October as the following weekend I'm getting married. I don't think any one will appreciate it if I skip out of town the week before the wedding...

pfredricks

Post by pfredricks » Sep 11 2003 2:20 pm

pssstt
Matt
It looks as if the wives may have put an ixnay on the ampingcay riptay

Return to “Hiking Events”