Linked Guides none
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Dateorganizer has not set a date

# of days 1

Aprille
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Roger's Canyon Trip

Post by Aprille » Dec 17 2003 9:39 am

Hello all. This is my first posting here on this website - yahoo! Anyway, I was thinking about doing a trip to hike Roger's Canyon in January. Possibly the 17th. As the books mention a need for high clearance vehicles, I figured we could meet close and carpool to the trailhead in a couple of trucks. I don't have one. I kow a couple of others mentioned they did. Could you all let me know if you are interested? And if you have an oh-so needed "high clearance vehicle". I may not check back here immediately as I have quite a deadline this week, but you could post me a message to let me kow and I could get back to you all.

Thanks. Can't wait to hear from you!

chihiggs
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Rogers Canyon

Post by chihiggs » Dec 17 2003 10:13 am

Possibly interested and yes, have high clearance Blazer. I will know after the New Year as I am interviewing for a couple of different schools right now.... Have a healthy and happy holiday season!!!

OH!! Question: Out and back day hike or overnight/multiday backpack? Have you been back to the Angel Basin or just East to the cliff dwellings?
Higgs

AnthonyPowell
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Rogers Canyon

Post by AnthonyPowell » Dec 17 2003 6:32 pm

Hey There. I might be interested in this hike. Whats your destination? Are you going to the Ruins?I wouldnt mind goin again. I was out there a few months ago. Ill be out of town for the holiday season and will be back on the 2nd of January. I have a Jeep so that road isnt a problem.

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Dec 17 2003 7:22 pm

As of now, count me in for this one! I know a few other people that are interested too and will check back here for details.

Aprille

Re: Rogers Canyon

Post by Aprille » Dec 18 2003 2:34 pm

In response to AnthonyPowell's reply:

Yes, going to the ruins and back! We'll figure out who is all in after the new year. We should have a good group though... And just out and back - I'm too much of a wimp to stay overnight this time of year!!!!!

bryanmertz

Post by bryanmertz » Dec 18 2003 6:26 pm

If Anthony is going I'm in!!

How have you been Tony?

Bryan

Davis2001r6
City, State: Bordeaux, France

Post by Davis2001r6 » Dec 18 2003 6:33 pm

I'm in for any hike. Although I don't have a high clearance vehicle, so I would need to meet somewhere for a ride.

slisk250
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by slisk250 » Dec 18 2003 7:20 pm

Howdy Everyone,

Another newbie here. I'm up for this hike as well. Ready to stay overnight if there are any others but a day hike is just as nice. I've got 4WD to help out and live close in Gilbert.

Slisk

sherileeaz

Post by sherileeaz » Dec 19 2003 8:37 am

Definitely in!

Sherileeaz 8)
The value of life lies not in the length of days, but in the use we make of them.

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Dec 19 2003 12:40 pm

Well if bryan and sheri are going I think I have to go also.

Actually I was just there two weeks ago and I already can't wait to go back. I'd really like to get into angel basin. Even though its just a mile further up the trail, no one ever wants to go with me...
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

AZ_Hiker
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by AZ_Hiker » Dec 19 2003 1:46 pm

I was thinking of going up there this spring and camping over night at the trail head then heading out early in the morning to rodgers canyon.. that way I could spend more time to explore the area.. that 20 mile dirt road takes a lot of time

I have a 4x4 toaster... oops trooper :) that has alswya got me in and out of everywhere i wanted to go..

and Matt if I go I might be able to be talked into the extra mile.. depends on the time tho.

on thing to remember guys ( and ladys :) is when the sun goes down in that canyon and the wind kicks up (which i have never been there when it didnt) it gets cold cold.. so if you think you will be in ther till sundown make sure you brind the right gear..
AZ Hiker
Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean there not after you!

Trishness

Re: Roger's Canyon Trip

Post by Trishness » Dec 28 2003 8:16 pm

In response to Aprille's reply:

Aprille......what's the word on this one? Still on for the 17th? You got lots of peoples interested :wink:

Trish

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Dec 30 2003 2:08 pm

matt,
There is some history to Angel Basin.......
excerpted from http://www.crossville-chronicle.com/Chr ... ziaII.html

...." Ted DeGrazia made national news. On May 14, 1976 on Superstition Mountain (really it was Angel Basin)he piled over 100 of his paintings in a heap and set them on fire. They were valued at more than $1.5 million and this act was DeGrazia's protest against inheritance taxes.....

This happened in Angel Basin in 1976.
kurt

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Dec 31 2003 8:02 am

Ted must of had great legs, he left around 10am and returned around 2pm the same day.

Trishness

Post by Trishness » Dec 31 2003 8:45 pm

matt gilbert wrote:Well if bryan and sheri are going I think I have to go also.

Actually I was just there two weeks ago and I already can't wait to go back. I'd really like to get into angel basin. Even though its just a mile further up the trail, no one ever wants to go with me...
Hey Matt,

If I'm gonna be there anyway.....I'll go to Angel Basin! Sheri will too cuz I volunteered her :lol:

Trish

sherileeaz

Post by sherileeaz » Dec 31 2003 9:46 pm

Trishness wrote:
matt gilbert wrote:Well if bryan and sheri are going I think I have to go also.

Hey Matt,

If I'm gonna be there anyway.....I'll go to Angel Basin! Sheri will too cuz I volunteered her :lol:

Trish
OK OK, I'm in! I'm easy! :D
But if I didn't volunteer was I going to get paid??? ;) (duh!)

Sheri
The value of life lies not in the length of days, but in the use we make of them.

Trishness

Post by Trishness » Dec 31 2003 10:03 pm

In response to sherileeaz's reply:

Paid for ?????? If you're really lucky, we'll give ya a tip! HEY, you're 29 here too! This is truly a magical place :A2:

Remember to respect your elders!

Trish

sherileeaz

Post by sherileeaz » Dec 31 2003 10:09 pm

Trishness wrote:In response to sherileeaz's reply:

Paid for ?????? If you're really lucky, we'll give ya a tip! HEY, you're 29 here too! This is truly a magical place :A2:

Remember to respect your elders!

Trish
Yeah truly a miracle that I could figure out to put in 1975 in my profile!! :lol:

go see your other topic Sis!!

And it would really be a "magical" place if it changed our sex too!! whew glad it only messed with our age!!

Sherileeaz

no avatar
Hikerdudes

Post by Hikerdudes » Jan 05 2004 8:30 am

If you guys have room for another I'd like to do this hike also! I don't have a high clearance vehicle, but could meet someone where ever to hitch a ride. Let mw know if this hike is still on for the 17th.

Derek

Davis2001r6
City, State: Bordeaux, France

Post by Davis2001r6 » Jan 05 2004 9:10 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm out for the 17th. Going to do the Hellsgate overnighter!

Have a great hike! Maybe next time.

Return to “Hiking Events”