Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2011-04-02

# of days 1

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

2011 Rainbow Bridge Spectacular

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 13 2009 1:03 pm

Another one of those "you asked for it, now you'll get it" deals.
Rainbow Bridge via Redbud Pass. New information added 3/26/11.
Okay, so here's the deal. 13 miles from Rainbow Lodge to Rainbow Bridge. Hit the trail on the 2nd. Spend the first day hiking to First Water, about 8 miles in. Second day we'll head down to the bridge and back to camp as a dayhike. On the 4th, we'll hike back to our trucks. We'd meet in Page early on the 2nd - details to be PMed to participants. Friday night gathering and pre-hike meet and greet recommended.
Cost: Navajo Nation hiking permit= $5/day/person. Navajo Nation camping permit = $5/person/night. Total = $25.
Early April can get very cold, and there still remains the possibility of a snowstorm, so plans might be canceled or changed depending on weather. Obviously that will be discussed as the date gets closer.
Last edited by PaleoRob on Mar 26 2011 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

PaleoRob

Re: 2010 Rainbow Bridge Spectacular

Post by PaleoRob » Jan 06 2010 6:03 pm

Permit in the end will be about $25/person. $5/day*3 days + $5/night*2 nights. Glad to hear you'll be able to make it!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 07 2010 5:11 am

Rob, I am going to put myself back onto the maybe list for this one, sorry! My husband reminded me that it is our granddaughter's 2nd birthday that weekend, party to be in San Diego area. Sigh. My mother used to always tell me, "You can't do everything!"
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Jan 07 2010 2:20 pm

Doh! Well, whatever happens for you, it sounds like it'll be fun. The beach or Rainbow Bridge. Talk about some choices, eh?
-Old Spiritual

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 07 2010 4:02 pm

I'm leaning heavily toward the Grand Gulch trip. I'll do this one only if something prevents me from doing that one.

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Feb 08 2010 3:33 pm

Backing out of this one in favor of the GG trip. Wish I could do both, but it's just plain too far for both! Man. There is a small chance this would change if my regular job reduces my hours. I know I shouldn't wish for that, but at this point, anything that gets me out of there is a blessing!
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 02 2010 3:59 pm

I was flipping through a co-worker's Sierra Club magazine and I guess they are running a Rainbow Bridge trip this same weekend, so we might have company on the trail. Hmm...
-Old Spiritual

big_load

Post by big_load » Mar 02 2010 5:03 pm

One is my limit, and I'm sticking with the Grand Gulch trip.

Randal_Schulhauser
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Mar 02 2010 9:23 pm

I thought Navajo and Hopi banned the Sierra Club from their lands due to the Club's position on coal mining...

http://www.navajohopiobserver.com/main. ... leID=11876

http://www.reznetnews.org/article/hopi- ... come-39650

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 03 2010 10:49 am

All I know is what this magazine is publicizing. They have several trips scheduled over the course of 2010, so it doesn't appear that they are banned (or know they're banned). According to the articles there, it sound like while the Navajo Nation supports the Hopi resolution, they have not gone as far as the Hopis have. That's my take.
-Old Spiritual

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 10 2010 8:19 pm

Depending on my wife's condition this trip may be canceled. Just as a heads-up. She has not been doing super great. I thought about canceling the GG trip, but with so many people coming from all over (and the permits already bought) and my wife still on the edge for coming I decided not to, but if things keep on like they are then we'll probably have to postpone this trip. Just giving everyone a heads-up.
-Old Spiritual

big_load

Post by big_load » Mar 10 2010 9:23 pm

I'm sorry to hear that she's not doing well. :( I hope her condition improves soon.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 14 2010 7:53 am

We're going to go ahead and cancel this trip for now, or at least reschedule until later in the year. My wife is still sick, Randy is having eye surgery, and I tipped my truck onto its side last night so I need to take some time to get that fixed too. Since there is no "delete date" option I just pushed it into the future.
-Old Spiritual

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 14 2010 12:04 pm

That's too bad, Rob, I know how much time you put into this and how much you and everyone were looking forward to the trip.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

writelots

Re: 2011 Rainbow Bridge Spectacular

Post by writelots » Jul 14 2010 1:47 pm

How are we looking on this particular trip? I'm thinking fall could be a wonderful time to visit this area...Maybe, say, Thanksgiving-ish???? :DANCE:
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 14 2010 8:40 pm

Trip'll happen. I'd like to stick to April - it'll be my 30th birthday out on the trail, which would be kind of cool. But you know me - I go with the flow on hikes. if there's demand, we can do it in the fall.
-Old Spiritual

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Jul 14 2010 9:05 pm

I'm up for whenever.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

oliverr99
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by oliverr99 » Jul 14 2010 9:35 pm

Rob, have you thought about the boat ride out of Rainbow bridge, like hike in and then take the boat ride out? I know other groups have done that before. Just wasn't sure of cost.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 15 2010 6:03 am

I have long wanted to backpack this trail. Actually there are two different trails leading into the canyon. Robert, are you taking the north one?

Anyway, I am leaving myself up there on the maybe list. Can't commit this early in the game, due mostly to school.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 15 2010 7:02 am

@oliverr99 I have thought about the boat ride out - indeed I have a friend with a boat so for some beer he could take about 6 people out with enough warning. The issue then becomes getting back to the trailhead to recover the vehicle(s).

@azbackpackr The old Rainbow Lodge/Redbud Pass trail, not the north side (a bit too long for a three day trek). I plan on doing a real write-up for the trail, as the current info on here does not distinguish between the two trails, nor does it actually have any trail information - just what sounds like a copy of the Rainbow Bridge NPS pamphlet.
-Old Spiritual

writelots

Post by writelots » Jul 15 2010 8:20 am

Well - I can wait until spring if that's what the masses cry for. I think a 30th birthday on the trail sounds just awesome. I don't even remember what I did for my big 3-0.

I think it could be cool to take the boat ride back rather than to the bridge... Then you're doing all your hiking to the really cool place, and a quick trip back. We can arrange it to leave sufficient vehicles to do the shuttle, no prob methinks!

Return to “Hiking Events”