Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2011-04-02

# of days 1

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

2011 Rainbow Bridge Spectacular

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 13 2009 1:03 pm

Another one of those "you asked for it, now you'll get it" deals.
Rainbow Bridge via Redbud Pass. New information added 3/26/11.
Okay, so here's the deal. 13 miles from Rainbow Lodge to Rainbow Bridge. Hit the trail on the 2nd. Spend the first day hiking to First Water, about 8 miles in. Second day we'll head down to the bridge and back to camp as a dayhike. On the 4th, we'll hike back to our trucks. We'd meet in Page early on the 2nd - details to be PMed to participants. Friday night gathering and pre-hike meet and greet recommended.
Cost: Navajo Nation hiking permit= $5/day/person. Navajo Nation camping permit = $5/person/night. Total = $25.
Early April can get very cold, and there still remains the possibility of a snowstorm, so plans might be canceled or changed depending on weather. Obviously that will be discussed as the date gets closer.
Last edited by PaleoRob on Mar 26 2011 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

oliverr99
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Re: 2011 Rainbow Bridge Spectacular

Post by oliverr99 » Jul 15 2010 10:02 am

I like that idea Wendy! I can also help with shuttling, and beer! This will be a great trip for your big 3-0, you kid!

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jul 15 2010 2:27 pm

Rob,
If your buddy can get you, et al , OUT there, you could buy a one-way ticket and RETURN on the sightseeing boat. We've come back on that a couple of times. It takes a little time to help educate the ticket 'master' at Wahweap that you can, in fact, buy 1/2 a ticket. The full ticket is currently $100 + fees. :o
If you get 'critical mass', maybe a charter would be economically feasible. I think that they run an 'executive services' office @ Wahweap - we used them once too - they came in a v- hull party barge to fetch us @ R.B.. They forgot to bring us our our beer so we diverted to D.R. on the way back to Wahweap. Had to choke down Bud, but I lived through it.
kurt

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 15 2010 5:22 pm

I just got info today from a friend that they'd be willing to drop us at the TH. SOOOO...I like the idea now of boating back, because it eliminates the shuttle issue (and potential worry about leaving a truck at the TH). New plan (a la Wendy) is to get dropped off, hike in, and then boat back. Don't worry Wendy, I'd like to do an awesome fall hike up in the redrock area as well...The Maze?
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Jul 15 2010 6:47 pm

hikeaz wrote: Had to choke down Bud, but I lived through it.
:scared: Hard to call it a good trip after that! :scared:
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Jul 15 2010 7:16 pm

hikeaz wrote:Had to choke down Bud, but I lived through it.
Man, the horror stories I here on this here board :o

Rob - spring sounds great, and I like the plan with the boat. I do want to do something crazy fall-ish, but I'm already pushed all the way back to later in November! Insanity! I like to get away for the Thanksgiving Holiday if at all possible. Maybe I'll start to explore alternatives... Canyonlands could be awesome...
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

oliverr99
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by oliverr99 » Jul 15 2010 9:48 pm

Awesome! Boat ride would help with time too! I might be in for this, if I can get the time off!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 16 2010 4:43 am

Boat ride would definitely help with time. It is a bit expensive, but I should be able to swing it. In that case, how far is the hike, Rob?

Would you be meeting us at a specified point off 89, or let's say, at a restaurant in Page, and then we can follow you to the trailhead? I remember looking at a map and reading directions to it, and it seemed to be off in that maze of Big Rez roads. I am thinking I am going to want to drive to Flag, Cameron or Page, get a motel room, and meet you the next day.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 16 2010 6:43 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Boat ride would definitely help with time. It is a bit expensive, but I should be able to swing it. In that case, how far is the hike, Rob?

Would you be meeting us at a specified point off 89, or let's say, at a restaurant in Page, and then we can follow you to the trailhead? I remember looking at a map and reading directions to it, and it seemed to be off in that maze of Big Rez roads. I am thinking I am going to want to drive to Flag, Cameron or Page, get a motel room, and meet you the next day.
Hopefully if my buddy can help with the boat, that won't be too bad. If my friend can drop us off at the trailhead, we'd meet at a motel/restaurant/whatever and then caravan out to Rainbow Lodge.
-Old Spiritual

Randal_Schulhauser
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Jul 16 2010 7:40 pm

So Rob => what are the target dates you have in mind? Would like to get something on my calendar even though my Sep/Oct/Nov is already looking "ugly" with biz travel :scared:

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 16 2010 7:44 pm

For this trip or for Canyonlands?
Maybe I should start a Canyonlands thread...
-Old Spiritual

no avatar
ecarpen
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by ecarpen » Jul 19 2010 7:45 pm

Hi,
I'm very interested in this adventure and want to chat w/ you further about this.
Azhikerbiker

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 20 2010 5:00 am

Welcome ecarpen! Just keep posting. Let us know about your experience, hikes you have done, etc., so that we know you are really out there (and not a spammer. :( ) As for knowing more about the Rainbow Bridge hike--we will likely discuss it to death before we actually do it, so you should be able to get plenty of info, or you can PM the organizer, PageRob, for questions.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 02 2010 6:13 am

Put in for the time off yesterday. Should find out for sure if I get that Monday off soon. Not anticipating any problems, though.
-Old Spiritual

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 02 2010 7:28 am

Well, gee, Rob. I switched to a "yes." Yesterday was Grand Canyon permit app day for April and I did not put in. The reason is that I had on my calendar a somewhat expensive kayaking trip on the San Juan. It did not take much to persuade myself to not spend $300 or $400 on that trip, and instead do the Rainbow hike! So, I will remove the kayaking trip from my calendar, which is same weekend as this trip.

Hope there is carpooling, though. My Buzzmobile does not like extended dirt road drives. Maybe I can just leave my car at your place, and ride with you?

Very glad to see Larry is going, too. Maybe will see if he wants to carpool. Several options here! :)

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 02 2010 4:39 pm

Rob and Larry, look who signed up!!!! :D

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 02 2010 4:46 pm

I just noticed that. I said, when I saw the number jump, "Who the heck keeps signing up for this!" When I saw the name, I figured it out immediately! That'll be good to have Ray along. This whole crew that has so far confirmed should be a good group.
-Old Spiritual

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 02 2010 4:58 pm

Also related, I've created a GPS route for the Rainbow Lodge to Rainbow Bridge trail:
http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?MY=134
Elevation data is screwy - there are some gaps. Basically 12 miles one way though. I've included what may be a usable campsite location at about 8 miles in from the trailhead.
-Old Spiritual

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Dec 03 2010 9:02 am

OK, Rob... I'm in! Looks like a good adventure.

Since I'll be driving across two states to get there, I'll gladly take suggestions to fill up the week...

raywing
City, State: san diego,ca

Post by raywing » Dec 03 2010 9:46 am

:y: :y: :sl: :sl:

Just wanted to see if I could post?

raywing
City, State: san diego,ca

Post by raywing » Dec 03 2010 9:50 am

:y: :sl:

Yes I can post