Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2011-04-02

# of days 1

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

2011 Rainbow Bridge Spectacular

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 13 2009 1:03 pm

Another one of those "you asked for it, now you'll get it" deals.
Rainbow Bridge via Redbud Pass. New information added 3/26/11.
Okay, so here's the deal. 13 miles from Rainbow Lodge to Rainbow Bridge. Hit the trail on the 2nd. Spend the first day hiking to First Water, about 8 miles in. Second day we'll head down to the bridge and back to camp as a dayhike. On the 4th, we'll hike back to our trucks. We'd meet in Page early on the 2nd - details to be PMed to participants. Friday night gathering and pre-hike meet and greet recommended.
Cost: Navajo Nation hiking permit= $5/day/person. Navajo Nation camping permit = $5/person/night. Total = $25.
Early April can get very cold, and there still remains the possibility of a snowstorm, so plans might be canceled or changed depending on weather. Obviously that will be discussed as the date gets closer.
Last edited by PaleoRob on Mar 26 2011 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

PaleoRob

Re: 2011 Rainbow Bridge Spectacular

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 22 2011 3:13 pm

Still shopping boat options. It looks like, as I mentioned, our initial boat haul back is not going to work out. I haven't been able to talk with Boat Tours about a haul back, but I did find another option.
BE AWARE: Either taking the tour boat or my second option (discussed below) will require money up front from me, which means money up front from you. I hate to say it, but it is the truth. But, the good news is that the cost shouldn't be too much.
Second option: Renting a boat and having someone meet us. I can get a boat for $400/day that can hold 10. That's $50/person if all 7 people signed up here plus my local buddy go. I think this is cheaper than the tour boat, hopefully I can find out tomorrow. That cost does not include gas for the boat or the $375 deposit (I would cover the deposit - ouch!).
Again, I apologize for the last minute nature of this, but since my friend with the boat decided to not pick us up, I'm kind of scrambling to figure out how to get us back to Page.
I will update this with tour boat information hopefully tomorrow. Hopefully they'll tell me its $15/person and we'll all be happy.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual

Randal_Schulhauser
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Mar 22 2011 7:29 pm

I'm still "IN" either way Rob. :) Todd is still on the fence with his achilles improving daily. :?

squatpuke
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by squatpuke » Mar 24 2011 7:06 pm

If the boat ride falls through ($50 bones (or more) would be a bitter pill)...I'm up for making it even more "Spectacular"....13 in, 13 out....whatta say?

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 24 2011 7:37 pm

We could hike back out again - but that leaves trucks at the trailhead, which I have been told to avoid. Looking at beta for that aspect too, since that's on my radar as well.
-Old Spiritual

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Mar 24 2011 7:47 pm

Go in at the north Th, a little more remote, I parked there for two and a half days and had no issues. Also a very scenic side to go in on I thought. Water should be good in all the side canyons.

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Mar 24 2011 9:34 pm

Where is the north trailhead? You mean the north (east) side of navajo mtn?
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Mar 25 2011 5:05 am

From a writeup by Shawn, via Sandra Hinchman quidebook directions-

Access: From Tuba City, AZ. Northeast on highway 160 ~40 miles to highway 98. Left on highway 98 ~12 miles to highway 16. Right on highway 16 ~34 miles to Y-junction with highway 161. The route is paved to a few miles short of this junction.

To the NE trail head: From the “Y” take the right fork ~12 miles. You will pass the turn off to Navajo Mountain Trading Post, and another to the small community of Rainbow City. At the intersection at Rainbow City, proceed straight onto the dirt road for the last 3.5 miles over primitive road to the trail head on the south side of a rock mound.

I remember part of it as a sandy, narrow track with some ups and downs, not sure I would take a car on it but I don't think it had any big rocks as I recall. I recall also several minor tracks taking off from it and the only way I easily go to the TH was following more recent tire tracks ( I knew a hiking group was in there and had left a vehicle for a shuttle; they were starting at the traditional south TH).

Sredfield

Post by Sredfield » Mar 25 2011 8:34 am

Poke around the residences at the SW trail head, someone will shuttle the group for $50. I've left vehicles at either end with no problems, but that doesn't mean you won't have any. To minimize potential damage, don't leave anything in the vehicle and leave it unlocked.

The trip from the SW to the NE trail heads is, in my opinion, one of the most "must-do" trips in the country.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 26 2011 12:40 pm

Okay, boat situation is DEAD!
We will be hiking back out Monday, 4/4 to the trucks. This is the least expensive and easiest fix for people flaking out on boat shuttle issues. So, that brings the permit total cost to $25/person - I will be going WEDNESDAY to Antelope/LeChee. If I do not have money in hand by Wednesday (for at least $15) you will not have a permit. Send me snail-mail or e-mail to my PayPal. I will be PMing each of you this afternoon with my address, phone number, and PayPal e-mail account name.
-Old Spiritual

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 26 2011 6:21 pm

Friday night pre-hike social hour will be at Fiesta Mexicana. It is the big pink building in downtown Page.
-Old Spiritual

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 26 2011 6:25 pm

I sent Ray an email message, reminding him to check in on here. Not sure if he is still going or not. I can give you his phone number and email address if you need it.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 26 2011 6:31 pm

azbackpackr wrote:I sent Ray an email message, reminding him to check in on here. Not sure if he is still going or not. I can give you his phone number and email address if you need it.
That would be fantastic, thanks.
-Old Spiritual

Randal_Schulhauser

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Mar 26 2011 10:18 pm

Rob;

I've sent you $25 via PayPal. Have room booked at Holiday Inn Express for Friday 4/1. See you 5-ish at the Fiesta Mexicana (got an address I can punch into the GPS for directions?)

RANDAL

squatpuke

Post by squatpuke » Mar 27 2011 9:39 am

PageRob wrote:Friday night pre-hike social hour will be at Fiesta Mexicana. It is the big pink building in downtown Page.

DANGER! Mexican Food before three day hike DANGER!!

squatpuke

Post by squatpuke » Mar 27 2011 9:40 am

azbackpackr wrote:I sent Ray an email message, reminding him to check in on here. Not sure if he is still going or not. I can give you his phone number and email address if you need it.

I sent an email as well...wondering if he was driving...no reply? Hope he didn't die and go to hell. :(

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 27 2011 10:29 am

squatpuke wrote:

I sent an email as well...wondering if he was driving...no reply? Hope he didn't die and go to hell. :(
:D
No, he is still happy as a clam over there in Lala land. He is waiting for the big conversion. ;)

He is awful about answering email. I need to PM his phone numbers to both you and Rob.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 30 2011 6:36 am

Address for the Fiesta Mexicana:
125 S Lake Powell Blvd
Page, AZ 86040
-Old Spiritual

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 30 2011 3:19 pm

Went to get permits today and they were closed for lunch. I'll be getting them tomorrow - still time to join in!
-Old Spiritual

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 31 2011 11:03 am

Permits are in hand.
Forcast: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text
Warm Saturday, good chance of rain Sunday, cooler Monday.
-Old Spiritual

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 31 2011 12:05 pm

Did you or Larry ever get in touch with The Wingnut?

Return to “Hiking Events”