Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2010-03-13

# of days 1

Which Route?

Poll ended at Jan 01 2010 1:12 pm

Kane Gulch to Grand Gulch, and out Bullet (or the reverse) - 24ish miles/3 days
33%
Bullet Canyon to Grand Gulch, and out Government (or the reverse) - 26ish miles/3 days
No votes
Government Trail to Grand Gulch, and out at Collins Spring (or the reverse) - 20ish miles/3 days
56%
Collins Springs to Grand Gulch/Lower Grand Gulch and out Collins - Miles and days variable
No votes
Kane Gulch to Grand Gulch and out Collins Spring - 50ish miles/5 days?
No votes
Other (please specify)
11%

Total votes: 9

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Grand Gulch 2010

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 17 2009 1:12 pm

Alright, we've got a place and we've got a date. March 13th-15th, we'll be hiking about 20-ish miles from the Government Trail to Collins Canyon, seeing lots of awesome rock art and Anasazi ruins along the way. Group size will be limited to 12 (10 slots plus me and my wife, though she might back out), due to BLM permit restrictions. Dogs are welcome on-leash, but not in ruins or at rock art sites, so be aware of that. If other participants don't want dogs on the trip, we may reconsider that.
Weather is variable - can be warm or we could get snow. Roads to the trailheads are dirt. Collins Canyon is decent, but Government requires 4x4, but carpooling is preferable anyway, since parking is limited. 3 days in one of the most beautiful and rich canyons in the southwest; what's not to like?
Last edited by PaleoRob on Mar 12 2010 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

PaleoRob

Re: Grand Gulch 2010

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 03 2010 7:46 pm

Oh come on Anne, you know you want to go!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Feb 04 2010 9:01 am

Now I'm considering doing this one INSTEAD of the Rainbow Bridge hike. Timing may be better on this one, as it coincides with UofA Spring Break and isn't the week before I have to go to a training in San Fran...

Sigh.

So many choices, so little time...
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 04 2010 9:35 am

Well I've currently got one more permit slot than people, so you're welcome to come along!
-Old Spiritual

oliverr99
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by oliverr99 » Feb 04 2010 7:23 pm

Of course I want to go, but I also have to consider how I am going to get out there, if I do go! :?

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 04 2010 10:10 pm

I'm sure something could be worked out.
-Old Spiritual

writelots

Post by writelots » Feb 05 2010 9:02 am

Well, Anne - as long as I can still get a spot, you can ride with me. I can bring the 4wd if I have to, but I'd rather bring the new 2wd toy, which should be fine on most roads...
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 05 2010 2:08 pm

You can still get a spot. Put your name down! If we need to, we can probably get a few more spots too - this isn't the most heavily traveled section of The Gulch.
-Old Spiritual

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 05 2010 2:28 pm

Just ran this through GoogleEarth, and it shows a total trip distance of just about 14 miles, so that should make for an easy and enjoyable 3 days, averaging about 5 miles a day. Still researching water sources, but it has been wet wet wet snowy up there this winter, so the creek might even be flowing.
-Old Spiritual

bmaaske
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by bmaaske » Feb 05 2010 5:48 pm

This hike looks awesome. I'm totally in. Bonus, it's on my birthday weekend. Couldn't think of a better gift to myself! I'm looking forward to it.

Bill

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 05 2010 7:51 pm

Welcome aboard.
Related note, I got the confirmation letter today in the mail from BLM. Woo hoo!
-Old Spiritual

oliverr99

Post by oliverr99 » Feb 05 2010 8:33 pm

Ok Wendy, if you go, I will go!! Oh a new toy!!! Thanks it will be fun to ride with you and backpack with you again! AND...it will be nice to have a girl along on the trip, I didn't mind it last time, just saying.....

I do work that Friday, so I can't leave until after 3:30, but I have the rest of the week off!

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 05 2010 9:07 pm

So do I need to pick up some more permits...?
-Old Spiritual

oliverr99

Post by oliverr99 » Feb 06 2010 1:35 pm

Probably, I will wait for a response from Wendy! Thanks!!!
I guess I need to get in shape.... :wlift:

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 07 2010 9:33 am

Just perusing the info here; looks like there's a spring at Deer Canyon for a first night camp, and a spring near Bannister Ruin for night two. That puts us at a leisurely 5 miles per day between water sources/trailheads, just as I had hoped.
-Old Spiritual

oliverr99

Post by oliverr99 » Feb 07 2010 10:21 am

That does sound nice to do a leisure backpack trip, and a little more time to explore the ruins!

writelots

Post by writelots » Feb 08 2010 12:56 pm

Just an easy walk in the park - I'm in! Let me know what kind of driving capability I need (4wd or no). Also, just so I remember - this is a no campfire area, correct?

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 08 2010 3:15 pm

No campfires allowed :whistle: High clearance recommended to the Government TH, though lowriders can park another 1/4-1/2 mile away. Collins should be okay for whatever. I'll call today or tomorrow for a few extra permits.
-Old Spiritual

rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by rushthezeppelin » Feb 08 2010 5:11 pm

Well this is lovely......I just found out that the GDC (Game Developers Conference) happens this exact same weekend :? It's kind of one of the biggest opportunities I have for making industry connections for when I graduate in another 2 1/2 months. Still not sure but I'm really leaning towards making connections that could land me a job.

oliverr99

Post by oliverr99 » Feb 08 2010 6:21 pm

Oh make the connections, you need to eat and buy more gear, we will miss you though!

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 09 2010 2:46 pm

Got a hold of our friendly Cedar Mesa permitter, and I picked up 3 more, so we've got 8 spots reserved. I've got 6 confirmed here (including myself) and my wife brings it to 7. A couple of folks have PMed me with interest in coming as well but haven't confirmed, so I got one extra.
The fella said they had about 2 feet of snow on the ground. He also said if the weather continues they may see some snow on our trip (on the ground still?), but that is over a month away. And snow = water. What I'd like to see is snow in the shadows, clear sunny skies, and decent potholes and flowing springs.
-Old Spiritual

Return to “Hiking Events”