Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2010-03-13

# of days 1

Which Route?

Poll ended at Jan 01 2010 1:12 pm

Kane Gulch to Grand Gulch, and out Bullet (or the reverse) - 24ish miles/3 days
33%
Bullet Canyon to Grand Gulch, and out Government (or the reverse) - 26ish miles/3 days
No votes
Government Trail to Grand Gulch, and out at Collins Spring (or the reverse) - 20ish miles/3 days
56%
Collins Springs to Grand Gulch/Lower Grand Gulch and out Collins - Miles and days variable
No votes
Kane Gulch to Grand Gulch and out Collins Spring - 50ish miles/5 days?
No votes
Other (please specify)
11%

Total votes: 9

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Grand Gulch 2010

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 17 2009 1:12 pm

Alright, we've got a place and we've got a date. March 13th-15th, we'll be hiking about 20-ish miles from the Government Trail to Collins Canyon, seeing lots of awesome rock art and Anasazi ruins along the way. Group size will be limited to 12 (10 slots plus me and my wife, though she might back out), due to BLM permit restrictions. Dogs are welcome on-leash, but not in ruins or at rock art sites, so be aware of that. If other participants don't want dogs on the trip, we may reconsider that.
Weather is variable - can be warm or we could get snow. Roads to the trailheads are dirt. Collins Canyon is decent, but Government requires 4x4, but carpooling is preferable anyway, since parking is limited. 3 days in one of the most beautiful and rich canyons in the southwest; what's not to like?
Last edited by PaleoRob on Mar 12 2010 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Grand Gulch 2010

Post by big_load » Feb 09 2010 5:55 pm

I'll probably make plane reservations tomorrow. It looks like gaiters are back on the gear list.

oliverr99
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by oliverr99 » Feb 09 2010 7:28 pm

How cold do you think it will be at the time we go? I am just wondering if my 30* bag will be enough!

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 09 2010 7:32 pm

All I've got is a 30 degree bag, so I hope it won't be much lower than that. You can always layer up in your bag too. And don't forget the fantastic hot water bottle trick!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual

oliverr99

Post by oliverr99 » Feb 10 2010 1:50 pm

Oh I won't, I have my Nalgene bottle to bring!! I think I will bring my bag liner too, I always forget about it! Thanks!

rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by rushthezeppelin » Feb 11 2010 1:58 pm

Yup just place it under your femoral and your good to go.

big_load

Post by big_load » Feb 11 2010 2:34 pm

Flights are booked.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 11 2010 7:05 pm

big_load wrote:Flights are booked.
Right on!
-Old Spiritual

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Feb 12 2010 8:29 am

This last canyon trip, I had a muscle spasm in my left shoulder just before we departed Tucson. So, I packed a couple of those Thermacare heat wraps to help relax it after a day on the trail. Put one on the second evening down there, and I was so warm, I had to unzip my bag! I'm thinking these may be a little more expensive than the pocket hand warmers and such, but not a bad investment for those few, chilly nights in the high country...
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 12 2010 9:54 am

Ooh, that is a good idea too, especially if you want heat in places where a water bottle won't stay easily.
-Old Spiritual

oliverr99

Post by oliverr99 » Feb 12 2010 4:34 pm

That is a great idea! I think I will invest in one or two of those!!

bmaaske
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by bmaaske » Feb 17 2010 1:36 pm

I’m signed up for this amazing looking hike and I’ve got a few questions for those more experienced backpackers and those familiar with the area.

1) Sounds like it might be a little colder than I’m used to. I’m planning on bringing my +15F bag but I usually use a NeoAir mattress. I’m concerned that this won’t be warm enough. Do you think I should also bring a CCF pad for added warmth? If so, how thick CCF pad?

2) I’m planning on bringing by TarpTent Squal2. It probably isn’t good with very much snow. What are the odds of more than a couple inches of snow in mid-March?

3) I usually like to wear trail running type shoes instead of boots, but if we really think there might be snow on the ground I’ll probably bring the Gortex boots and gaiters. Trail runners or Gortex boots?

4) What do the water sources look like? I usually just use Aqua Mira, but if the water is really nasty I will bring my filter. I hate the added weight if it’s not necessary.

5) Is there anything else unusual about what I should pack for this trip?

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 17 2010 5:59 pm

1. I brought my 30 degree bag last time and was fine, even when we got snowed on.
2. That would be a wait-and-see in my opinion. Lots of snow on the ground according to my buddy that was on the mesa last weekend, but melting fast. Temps are expected to generally hold for the week, so if that trend continues there shouldn't be much sticking except in the shadows (at least that's hope).
3. I brought my Gortex boots last time and was very glad I did. Once again - wait and see. If it is going to be warmer with clear skies, I might bring my Chaco vented low-cuts. The warm insulation of my Merrill's was nice in the morning though...
4. I use iodine and the taste remover. Potholes are usually clear-ish. Springs are always tasty in GG, and clear too. We should be able to have a camp near a spring each night (at least, that's the plan).
5. Bring your camera.
-Old Spiritual

oliverr99

Post by oliverr99 » Feb 17 2010 7:28 pm

I used my Big Agnes pad and that kept me warm, along with my *30 bag, with a cocoon bag liner. I stayed pretty warm. Oh, I did not take my Nalgene water bottle, and wished I had, that way you can always heat up water at night and put it in your sleeping bag at night with you. I plan to bring mine!! A guy last year hiked with his trail shoes and did fine, there is some slick rock, so whatever will work better for you. I am not that experienced, I learn as I go, but I hope this will help! You will enjoy this trip though!!

big_load

Post by big_load » Feb 17 2010 7:30 pm

I'll be bringing a 15F bag, BA pad, and Tarptent no matter what. The only question is whether to bring the Contrail or Double Rainbow. I prefer the former, especially if I'll be carrying much water.

bmaaske
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by bmaaske » Feb 22 2010 2:55 pm

What's everybody doing for transportation? I'm in Phoenix and would be interested in carpooling. I can take my Tacoma (seats 4) or ride with someone else. I was thinking about driving up Friday and probably camping Friday night. On Monday I was thinking about driving back after hiking out. I'm flexible on any of it.

Bob, have you figured out the shuttle situation to get us back to where we started?
Last edited by bmaaske on Feb 22 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 22 2010 2:59 pm

I need to see who all is driving what before we can clarify the shuttle situation. Maybe we should list the vehicles we're bringing. You said you've got a Tacoma. I've got my Explorer. What else is coming? Randal, your bringing the F-150 I assume?
-Old Spiritual

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Feb 22 2010 3:40 pm

Am bringing 4 sure (unless Rob can tell me that there'll be trees for my hammock):

* 15deg sleeping bag - Big Agnes Pad - extra insulation layer
* Bivy/tarp combo or 1 man 2 wall tent (depending on weather)
* Hiker water filter
* Lots of warm/dry clothes (I had my fill of wet and miserable this weekend)!
* Heavy camera
* Hot beverages and rum

Option depending upon needs of the rest of the group:
* 2 person, 2 wheel drive, decent clearance Lil' Bit
* 4 person, 4 wheel drive, good clearance Truck (Nismo)
Let me know what's required/preferred in this dept.
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

big_load

Post by big_load » Feb 22 2010 3:45 pm

I'll have an airport rental car. I haven't reserved it, but I'd like to avoid paying extra for OR capability.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 22 2010 4:03 pm

We had trees for our one hanger (Chris) last year. You can scout the route via TrailDex or Google Earth to see the tree cover.
Preferred would definitely be 4 person 4wd. The government trailhead does need high clearance/4wd to get to, otherwise it is park somewhere on the side of the road about 1/4 mile away from the trailhead. Collins is supposed to be 2wd friendly, but better safe than sorry (especially with the weather we/they have been getting).
Here's my vision. All 7 of us meet up at KGRS in the morning in order to pick up the physical permit and watch their movie. At this point it doesn't matter what sort or how many cars we have. If a couple people are coming up in rentals or whatever, they can leave them at KGRS. From KGRS one vehicle leaves with 4 people to go to the Government TH. This should be high-clearance. Three others each drive a vehicle to the Collins TH. At least two of these should be HC. Two vehicles with a capacity of 7 + luggage are left at Collins, and the last vehicle (HC) heads back to the Government TH. We rig up and hike. A couple days later we come out at Collins where two vehicles are waiting. We load up, with the remaining HC vehicle at Collins taking the drivers of the two vehicles left at Government back to the Government TH. We all rendezvous at the turnoff and hit the road to get Navajo Tacos at Gouldings. What could go wrong?
-Old Spiritual

oliverr99

Post by oliverr99 » Feb 22 2010 6:52 pm

PageRob wrote: What could go wrong?
Snow!!!!!

I am riding with Wendy. So I will be in whatever vehicle she drives! I will also be taking a 15* bag, my one man tent,probably, and my big agnes pad. I plan to bring some butterscotch schnapps, if I remember to bring it :-)

Return to “Hiking Events”