Linked Guides none
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2010-05-15

# of days 1

Dirt4dinner
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Dripping Spring Loop Backpack

Post by Dirt4dinner »

I will be doing the Dripping Spring Loop backpack around Coffee Flat Mountain. The trail starts at Peralta and heads east on Dutchman, north on Whiskey Spring and takes the Red Tanks Trail north, then south back to Coffee Flat and back to Peralta. Looks like a cool trail, great photo sets have been posted recently. Come join Topo and I on a fun one! Check out the information on the Trail Dex in the link.
*****Dirt4Dinner***** - I like anything fast enough to do something stupid on.
rally_toad
City, State: CA

Re: Dripping Spring Loop Backpack

Post by rally_toad »

damn man. i want to do this one. but will be in nevada by then
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth
Dirt4dinner

Post by Dirt4dinner »

Forget Nevada dude! Come on all these hikes I have planned, and then get your rear out to Tahoe with me!
rally_toad
City, State: CA

Post by rally_toad »

don't worry man, I think I'll at least be able to come on two of them, maybe 3 or 4.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth
FreespiritAZ
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by FreespiritAZ »

So is the plan to do half on the 15th and the other half on the 16th? Or everything in one day?
pencak
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by pencak »

This is an awesome hike bro, I just did it awhile back: http://hikearizona.com/x.php?I=4&UID=&O ... 50103&ZTN=
Reed Spring was a good place to camp but I was coming in from the afternoon on a Friday. You could probably get in deeper than that. It'll be "hammock land" along that creek past Reed Spring for you guys with loads of trees but I can't remember any really good flat spots for regular ground sleeping (but they're probably there.) The place was gushing with water when I went but I'd anticipate it drying up mostly by the time of your hike. You're probably catching it at the tail end of water availability all along the route and by mid May I wouldn't bank on there being much. If you do camp at Reed Spring, it's a pretty good hump to finish the rest on the next day (but I did it so it can't be that bad.)
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

FreespiritAZ wrote:So is the plan to do half on the 15th and the other half on the 16th? Or everything in one day?
He did say it's a backpack.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
FreespiritAZ

Post by FreespiritAZ »

@azbackpackr

I am new to backpacking. I just did my first one to Fossil Springs last weekend. I am a day hiker who has always taken a pack with me, but apparently backpacking and carrying a backpack on a day hike are two different things. I'm still learning terminology. Forgive me :P
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

Yup, it's how we distinguish one from the other. Using the term "dayhiking" for one-day trips and "backpacking" for more than one day. Sorry, didn't mean to offend you!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
FreespiritAZ

Post by FreespiritAZ »

@azbackpackr
No worries. You didn't offend at all :)
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

Did you see my backpacking terms thread I started? It is partly tongue-in-cheek, partly informational, and several people have contributed to it. viewtopic.php?t=5095
Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

Post by Crocodile Ryan »

Tyler, did you do this one? or are you gonna soon?

I need to get out soon, and after this week Ill finally have some time.....
An adventure is merely an inconvience rightly considered
Dirt4dinner

Post by Dirt4dinner »

I have is scheduled for May 15...and I would like to get it done. Hopefully it's not going to be 100 degrees out! I have been thinking about heading up north instead that weekend and doing something around Payson. What do you think?
FreespiritAZ

Post by FreespiritAZ »

@Dirt4dinner

Honestly I was a little concerned about the high temps, and I am glad you brought up Payson. It sounds like a better idea. Anywhere specific?
FreespiritAZ

Post by FreespiritAZ »

@azbackpackr

I saw the thread and it is awesome! It's jam packed with information and very helpful :)

Thanks you for all the time you put into it :)
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

FreespiritAZ wrote:@azbackpackr

I saw the thread and it is awesome! It's jam packed with information and very helpful :)

Thanks you for all the time you put into it :)
Hey, I had fun with it! Glad it was informative for you!
Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

Post by Crocodile Ryan »

Dirt4dinner wrote:I have is scheduled for May 15...and I would like to get it done. Hopefully it's not going to be 100 degrees out! I have been thinking about heading up north instead that weekend and doing something around Payson. What do you think?
Yah I might be more up for something around Payson, I have a bit of an aversion to 90F+ temps

Although, you know I always wanted to finish hiking thru WCC after we did that fishing trip there, I also have some ideas about heading west out of payson towards doll baby ranch and hiking along the east verde, climbing up and over the mesa and hooking up with the divide trail, I had talked with Mike about it a loooooong time ago but nothing every happend
An adventure is merely an inconvience rightly considered
pencak
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by pencak »

Dirt4dinner your plans to go up around Payson might be better. With the temperatures the way they are going you might be hurting for water 10mi in on that Dripping Springs Loop hike. Another thing is that there's a lot of exposed areas on south facing slopes on that Dripping Springs Loop hike, so if it's hot, you will be needing a lot of water. Think about it. Unless you get confirmation that you can get the water that far back in, you might want to rethink the hike.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller
Dirt4dinner

Post by Dirt4dinner »

I just found out my wife scored a free weekend stay at the hotel near South Mountain along with a free round of golf on the Phantom Horse course....so the only hiking I will be doing is on the golf course.

Trip cancelled.

Return to “Hiking Events”