Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2010-07-07

# of days 1

pencak
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Yosemite 76mi Backpack

Post by pencak »

High Sierra extravaganza! :y: I already got the days off and am already committed to going. This will be a strenuous hike that won't be overly taxing on the daily mileage but the elevations traversed are more than what many are used to. Here's the low down:
July 7th-15th 9 days 8 nights. 76.76 miles, I'll be coming from Oregon and can can pick you up in Merced on the 6th and we drive into Yosemite in my truck. I have secure parking there. You'd have to arrange parking for your vehicle in Merced (if you came that way.) From Yosemite we'll get a lift to Wawona from a relative of mine and dropped off at the trail head. It's basically 56 mi. to Tuolumne Meadows for resupply then 20mi. to Yosemite. Staying an extra day in a couple of the camps is worked into it.
Here's the itinerary:
Trail Head North Wawona alt. 4,153 ft.
Hike to first camp 8.75mi.
First camp Crescent Lake alt. 8,392 ft.
Hike to second camp 11.80mi.
Second camp Lower Ottoway Lake alt. 9,594 ft.
Hike to third camp 11.50mi.
Third camp Foerster Creek alt. 9,873 ft.
Hike to fourth camp 10.63mi.
Fourth Camp Vogelsang Lake alt. 10,504 ft.
Hike to fifth Camp (Tuolumne Meadows) 13.25mi.
Fifth Camp at Tuolumne Meadows alt. 8,580 ft.
Hike to Sixth camp (with a check of Cathedral Lakes) 7.91mi.
Sixth Camp at Long Meadow JMT alt. 9,495 ft.
Hike to finish at Yosemite valley 12.27mi.
Elevation at end of trail 4,032 ft.

We're picked up at the end of the trail and taken to my truck. From there I'll pass through Merced and drive home to Arizona to be back by 7-17-10.
Attachments
Here is a picture of the elevation profile of the entire hike.
Here is a picture of the elevation profile of the entire hike.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller
pencak

Re: Yosemite 76mi Backpack

Post by pencak »

I reserved the Wilderness Permit yesterday. The camps may change somewhat upon further research (some of these spots are bug city.) Also, per the Ranger I spoke with, the Tuolumne Meadows trail head in July is already totally booked so "officially" there won't be a stop there ;) because saying that I'll stop there requires another trail head permit.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller
kirkr1817
City, State: phoeni ,az

Post by kirkr1817 »

:y: :wrt: i wssh i could you will enjoy every step of that one
pencak

Post by pencak »

Latest update. I accurately mapped everything and finalized camp locations and routes. So far here it is:
Wawona to Crescent Lake - 9.63 miles (4,200' elevation gain with a full pack load ugg!)
Crescent Lake to Ottoway Lake - 13.74 miles
Ottoway Lake to Foerster Creek - 12.21 miles
Foerster Creek to Vogelsang High Sierra Camp - 12.73 miles
Vogelsang High Sierra Camp to Toulumne Meadows - 13.03 miles
Toulumne Meadows to Sunrise High Sierra Camp - 8.54 miles
Sunrise High Sierra Camp to Happy Isles Nature Center, Yosemite Valley - 12.62 miles
Total trip - 82.5 miles
I'll stay an extra day at Foerster Creek (37.68765, -119.3242) and Toulumne Meadows, so it's 9 days total. I've already arranged the resupply in Toulumne and packed all my food. It's interesting, no matter how you slice it those Garcia Bear containers will not hold more than 5 days worth of food (if you have any reasonable calorie count.) Those clear ones at REI now are bigger but at $70, I'll make due with what I have. My pack seems to be coming out lighter than I planned at between 50lb & 55lb fully loaded with food and water.

Anyway, if anybody got a wild hair and wanted to come they'd have to speak up soon. It's all pretty well organized and laid out; I reserved a couple of extra spots on the permit in case. Otherwise this will be a solo trip. No big deal, because it's actually a training hike for my 2012 trip; the John Muir Trail. :D
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels »

Wish I could swing it, that elevation profile makes it look like an awesome trip!
- joe
pencak

Post by pencak »

Joe,
Overall it's:
Total gain 15,312
Total loss 17,172
Accumulated alt gain -1,860
The first day is all 4,216' gain, the second day is gain 3,505' and 2,196' loss for a total 1,309' acc. gain. 5,524' gain the first two days with a full pack. :o
The third and fourth days are only slight acc. gains but the variance is over 3,500 up and down each day.
The last leg is a 5,342 elevation loss over 12.62mi.

You know, my knees just gave me a slight little twinge of pain right now as I wrote that. 8-[
Shut-up knees : rambo : ala Homer Simpson yelling at his liver. :)
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller

Return to “Hiking Events”