Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2010-11-26

# of days 1

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Mazatzal Backpack Thanksgiving Break

Post by nonot » Nov 22 2010 9:37 pm

I am changing my plans from the Superstitions Backpack to the Mazatzals. I intend to hike in rd 25A and make base camp at (near?) Thicket Spring. I would appreciate anyone providing information about campsites in the area and the quality of the spring.

I have not decided yet if I will head out there Thursday or Friday. I plan on hiking out Sunday afternoon unless we find him before then.

Anyone is welcome to join me, or simply drop by for part of a day to help.

Apologies to Joe B for setting up a competing trip.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

tkknc

Re: Mazatzal Backpack Thanksgiving Break

Post by tkknc » Nov 23 2010 5:44 am

There is a cleared out spot to camp in between the trail sign and the spring. It is rocky and semi flat. I have taken the scouts. I will find coordinates and pictures after I get back from work.

sirena
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by sirena » Nov 23 2010 8:01 am

If you are talking about the jct of Thicket and Sheep trails, I camped there on the AZT. Plenty of room and there is a running creek near the site.
IMG_0092.JPG
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Nov 23 2010 8:40 am

I would be in for a backpack, but I have Thanksgiving commitments Thursday and Saturday. However, I'd love to come by for a day trip, either Friday or Sunday.

Who else would be game for this? My truck has made it to the Mormon Grove TH before, but that wasn't after a recent heavy rain. I've also seen that road completely torn up and barely passable w/ 4WD when wet. My truck also can only fit one other person than me...

I'd be game to hike in 25a, but if it's a dayhike and we're attempting to make it all the way out to the SE slopes of Sheep Mountain (with ample time to bushwhack and search), making it to either Peeley or MG would be preferred. I've hiked the Saddle Mountain area several times, two of those times getting as far as the Thicket Springs area, and once out past Squaw Flats and on to the Plateau Point Overlook, so I know the area fairly well in case we end up starting at Mormon Grove and other dayhikers have never been there.

Steve- The campsite at the junction of Thicket Springs and Sheep Creek Tr is amazing. In March we almost bailed our plans to go to Plateau Point because we wanted to camp there so badly. That was when the creeks were flowing strong, though. Not sure what the flow would be like this time of year?
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 23 2010 10:00 am

@nonot
Just a couple of thoughts regarding your "campsite location" for this search:

If you plan to conduct our needed "off-trail" (off Thicket Spring TR95) search toward Sheep Mtn from Eric's(ssk44) ridge exit recommended area, then Sirena's recommendation of the campsite being at the intersection of Sheep TR/Thicket Spr TR95 would get you closer to this Sheep Mtn exit ridge area, If you plan to search "off trail" in from TR95 where GPSjoe exited down from Peak 6834 back in Nov'09 (ie the ref map/waypoints and info that I recently posted), then Thicket Spring campsite area would make more sense to me. Hike in Access for the Sheep Creek TR / #95 campsite location could be either Mormon Grove TH or FR25A (expect a significant amount of 4-wheel/ATV traffic on FR25A during this period); Hike in Access for the Thicket Spring campsite area on #95 would be faster via Peeley TH down Cornucopia TR86 to Thicket Spring TR95 or FR25A hike in.. I don't recommend anyone try to 4-Wheel all the way into the blue bus at the end of FR25A.. this is not a stock vehicle 4-wheel drive section.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 23 2010 10:19 am

Grasshopper wrote:FR25A (expect a significant amount of 4-wheel/ATV traffic on FR25A during this period)
It wasn't too bad this past saturday. We only saw two groups of ATV's.
Grasshopper wrote:I don't recommend anyone try to 4-Wheel all the way into the blue bus at the end of FR25A.. this is not a stock vehicle 4-wheel drive section.
I second that!

I do think that 25A is a pretty decent option for a way in. Its more accessible than the Peeley TH and its not that much farther. It might not take longer to hike either since you can move pretty unimpeded the whole time.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Nov 23 2010 10:21 am

Yeah, I was actually confused as to what 25a was... I thought it was the road to Mormon Grove trailhead. Disregard my comments about accessibility ;)
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

no avatar
cjensen116

Post by cjensen116 » Nov 23 2010 11:18 am

@Grasshopper - thank you for referring me to this post to offer to help.

@nonot, referenced above Grasshopper told me to post on this site also. I am very good friends with GPSJoe's Son and Daughter-in Law and live in Phoenix. I currently have a broken foot, but my husband is really wanting to help out. He also has an ATV. Please let me know if/how we can help. Whether its actually participation or if you need help with supplies, food, water, etc. please let me know. We are in town all weekend and would love to do anything we can for Joe's family.

no avatar
cmuhrig

Post by cmuhrig » Nov 23 2010 11:57 am

Hi Everyone,
I'm an acquaintance of GPSJoe's son & daughter in law and cjensen116's friend and would love to make myself available this weekend to help with search whether that be hiking or providing supplies. I'm an ok hiker with lots of stamina!
I am making myself available so please let me know how we can all help!

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 23 2010 2:35 pm

@nonot
Steve- Please read my just posted on:
Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 23 2010 2:18 pm

This clarification post of mine suggests a need to backpack camp at the Thicket Springs area and not the Sheep Creek TR / Thicket Spring TR95 campsite location.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Nov 23 2010 3:04 pm

I'm committed for Friday, although I don't know exactly what I'm going to do. I'll be able to get to 25A easily in my truck, so at the very least I'll just hike in from there. However, that's not preferred, as roundtrip just to the base of Sheep Mountain and back looks to be in the range of 10-11 miles. While that's fine, a much shorter hike in from the Peeley trailhead would allow for much more energy to search the SE slopes of Sheep Mountain.

I'm hoping somebody is able to check out the road to Peeley before Thursday night and can report road conditions.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 23 2010 3:21 pm

azpride wrote:I'm committed for Friday, although I don't know exactly what I'm going to do.
Possible suggestion: if nonot or anyone else is staying out there until Sunday afternoon for a long backpack, maybe those coming in for day trips friday and saturday could pack in extra supplies such as water if that would be helpful. Give them something less to worry about.
--bill callahan

no avatar
cjensen116

Post by cjensen116 » Nov 23 2010 3:26 pm

We are not far and if you would like, we can bring in supplies on Saturday morning for all of you guys. Please let me know as we plan on making a day trip either Friday or Saturday whichever you need us for.

Vaporman
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman » Nov 23 2010 3:52 pm

Sweet, I'll take a large Hawaiin pizza and a couple carne asada burritos. That should replenish some energy after bushwhacking up and down that southern slope. :sweat:
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p

no avatar
cjensen116

Post by cjensen116 » Nov 23 2010 3:56 pm

Hey of thats what you guys need to help my friends, than I would do it:) But in all honesty please let us know what you guys want. We will bring it that way. Also, we have an ATV if you want us there with that (and I have an off road vehicle). Just spoke with GPSJoe's son and he said to suggest an ATV shuttle service if you guys needed it!

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 23 2010 3:59 pm

@Vaporman

Sounds like we'll need to throw in a couple extra rolls of toilet paper as well :)
--bill callahan

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Nov 23 2010 4:19 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:@Vaporman

Sounds like we'll need to throw in a couple extra rolls of toilet paper as well :)
:sl:

tkknc

Post by tkknc » Nov 23 2010 5:52 pm

I posted pictures of where I camped in the Thicket springs area at
http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=13312

the coords of the camp site is
GPS Data Format Deg NAD83 ElevFeet
Cts Camp,33.99239,-111.48377,5332

On the map the place we camped is Cts Camp
From the pictures you can tell the campsite is narrow and rocky, but it was the flattest widest area we found that was not choked with brush (besides the trail).

Vaporman
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman » Nov 23 2010 6:49 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:@Vaporman

:sl: On second thought maybe I'll stick with Mountain Houses... ;)
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 23 2010 9:15 pm

I'll be there Saturday for the day and possibly Sunday depending on the roads and who's willing to get folks to the TH. My plan is to meet up with those going early, hit the trail, and hopefully meet up with those staying their nights out there so we can figure out what's already been done. Maybe we can set up rendezvous times and locations before the backpackers head out on thurs or fri. How does this sound?
--bill callahan

Return to “Hiking Events”