Start Date 2012-06-26

# of days 1

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Havasupai Backpacking Trip 2.0!

Post by Hippy » Dec 01 2011 8:43 am

DATES ARE SET IN STONE FOR

TUESDAY JUNE 26th - FRIDAY JUNE 29th 2012

Because once in a lifetime isn't enough. This is open and recommended to all! If you have never been, this is the trip to get in shape for. It's a 14 mile hike downhill to the campground and small Indian town of Supai (the last remaining place in the US that receives it's mail via mule/horse).

Once established we will be swimming, hiking and exploring the canyon for four days and three nights.

The cost per person for camping will be around $100, plus any gear or food (you must provide yourself).
For the less adventurous the Havasupai tribe does offer to carry your gear via mule (find the details on the their website).
Once a guest list is established a carpool will be organized. If you are at all interested look at some photos via google(or my triplog from June 2011), it will quickly solidify your decision.
This is organized with the intention of sharing the experience with friends.
-Hiking/swimming/exploring Beaver Falls, Navajo Falls, Havasu Falls, and Mooney Falls.
-Possibly exploring underwater caves along the river.
-Hiking to the Grand Canyon via the river (10 mile day hike).

<<Hiking From Campground to Colorado River is 8.5 Miles One Way. Per Supai Website>>

-Exploring a part of the canyon that a majority of guest never get to see.

FYI-Prior to attending this trip there will be a few day hikes to help evaluate the groups flow and fitness level. Also to make it easier we will make extra reservations (due to some people not getting through last time). If you want us to make your reservation, please be advised that your portion of the tribe's camping fees will be due ahead of time (date-TBA).

Hike Details- http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=58
All details about Supai can be found on http://www.havasupaitribe.com/index.html .

This Trip Is being Coordinated by HippyHaley & Vincent1987
You can also find us (and the event of the same name) on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/hippystyle
(msg me here or there with any questions)

** Each person wanting to come along is responsible for making her or his own reservation(s) and having their camping fees on hand before the carpool/caravan leaves the meeting place (ATMS are available in citys we drive through but please be prepared beforehand). **

:y:
Last edited by Hippy on Feb 01 2012 10:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Boscoaz
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Havasupai Backpacking Trip 2.0!

Post by Boscoaz » Dec 01 2011 3:32 pm

Looking forward to this. I hope to be able to make it.
BoscoAZ
Action Conquers Fear - Peter Nivio Zarlenga

DBmooner
City, State: chandler, Az

Post by DBmooner » Dec 01 2011 8:45 pm

i was talking about going with some friends in april but if that falls through im so in. hell if things go right i just may go on both trips :D

no avatar
azeagleye
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by azeagleye » Dec 02 2011 11:44 am

Went on trip end of Sept with daughter and two others. Daughter is interested in going again (3rd time) doing lower falls and river hike - I forwarded info. Only went part ways through grape vine jungle before heading back. I might be interested. Was in from river side a short ways on a float years ago. Might be a bit toasty but won't need sleeping bag - Azeagleye.

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Dec 03 2011 5:03 pm

Dates officially changed to Tuesday JUNE 26th 2012 - FRIDAY JUNE 29th 2012

Carpool/Caravan out late monday night, sleep in cars at Hualapai Hilltop, hike down begins tuesday bright and early before sun up :D

DBMooner...DO IT!!! Come on out, would love to meet fellow HAZ-ers! The more the merrier!

azeagleye, sept would be toooo chilly for me, i'm an az native, like it sweltering haha but yeah june was soooo warm! we all brought sleeping bags and a tent to share this past june, my best friend and i ended up sleeping on top of the tent, using it as a tarp and ontop of our sleeping bags! The night sky was cloudless, full of stars and it was beautiful! one girl even slept on top of the picnic table! :sl:

in 2012 I plan on bringing a hammock to avoid all the ants (lots of ants during the day and right after sundown) not my fondest memories but taught me a lesson!

We do plan on hiking down to the river this time! My boyfriend stayed home with a broken ankle last trip :( so I didn't want to journey past Beaver Falls withoout him...but THIS TIME oh yes...this time it's gonna be an adventure!
Last edited by Hippy on Feb 01 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

DBmooner

Post by DBmooner » Dec 05 2011 6:29 pm

things are looking like i may go on both trips so what hikes would you recomened i do to make sure im ready for havasupai.

oliverr99
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by oliverr99 » Dec 05 2011 8:46 pm

I might join in on this. I like the idea of bringing a hammock. Do you bring something else just in case it rains? I don't hammock camp, I tent camp so didn't know if it would rain from monsoons or not.

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Dec 07 2011 7:57 am

DBmooner wrote:things are looking like i may go on both trips so what hikes would you recomened i do to make sure im ready for havasupai.
DB, whereabouts do you live? We do bi-weekly hikes (every sunday evening) and as the dates loom nearer we'll be doing more hikes to prepare everyone. I'd suggest Squaw Peak as fast as you can for cardio, Mormon Trail on South Mtn with a backpack to get use to the weight of a pack (unless you want to have a mule carry your supplies up!) or any similar trails.
The hike down to the Village and then to the campsite is 1 mile straight down switchbacks then 9 miles of a flat creek, for most people it's just the carrying of their own pack/gear that makes this difficult. So if you aren't use to that yet, hop on it! :) I plan on loading my day pack and hitting a treadmill for cardio as well.

Once settled at camp we will most likely be hiking down to Mooney Falls and Beaver Falls and on down to the Colorado River i think thats a 14 mile roundtrip? ish.
The climb down Mooney Falls is steep. slippery and consists of chains and ladders, have shoes that you trust! Lots of traction and grip :)

oliverr99 wrote:I might join in on this. I like the idea of bringing a hammock. Do you bring something else just in case it rains? I don't hammock camp, I tent camp so didn't know if it would rain from monsoons or not.
I'm totally down for hammock camping out there! There are tons of solid trees to hold us up and the weather is PERFECT! Honestly if it rains in June i'd be excited we got sprinkled on last year for a whole 30 seconds and that was on the hike out to the Hilltop! So if it rained I'd expect a nice hot humid rain because it was so dang hot out there last year.

As for rain in hammocks what most people do (or so I've read and plan on trying!) is have a "rain fly" tethered up above your hammock to protect you from the elements. It ties a few feet above and angles down to stop water from dripping down the ties of the hammock.
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html <---a little info on staying dry in a hammock! :D

DBmooner

Post by DBmooner » Dec 07 2011 5:16 pm

i live in chandler, i have never done squaw peak befor. im going to Carny spring on saterday so maybe ill go and check out squaw peak on sunday. Im allways looking for people to hike with if i could fined enough people to go with me i would go every weekend. on the 18th im doing the superstition ridgeline if you guys want to join me.I have been doing alot of backpacking latley so a heavy pack wont bother me

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Dec 08 2011 7:09 am

DBmooner wrote:on the 18th im doing the superstition ridgeline if you guys want to join me.I have been doing alot of backpacking latley so a heavy pack wont bother me
Vincent & I are having a holiday party the 18th and the morning of the 19th we set out on our Skull Cave backpacking trip! (20 miles trail-less bushwhacking chaos whoo!) When we get back we'll be setting our sights on more intense training and we'll be trying to get all our possible Supai attendees in on the hikes to get them in shape.

no avatar
Perky
City, State: Mesa az

Post by Perky » Dec 21 2011 11:22 am

@HippyHaley
Hello HippyHaley and Merry Christmas.I was planning another trip down to Supai in the month of May,mothers day weekend.Are you a Mom?I will think about your trip in June.
Perky

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Dec 27 2011 3:50 pm

Perky, I am in fact a mom to a wild 3 1/2 year old daughter :)
Unfortunately my time off is limited as I work for the government and am low down on the totem pole so I have to use my time sparingly! Which is why this is planned (yet again) SO far in advance!
Hoope you can join us in June though!! Happy Holidays to you too!!

songdog
City, State: Lake Havasu, AZ

Post by songdog » Jan 22 2012 8:46 am

I'm so glad to have found a group going to Havasupai. I have been wanting to do this trip for a couple of years now. I am very much into hammock camping so that's what I will be packing. If the dates (June 24th - 27th) are firm, I will go ahead and make my reservations. Looking forward to it!
"the songdog"
the songdog
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a
pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn
out and proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE!

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Feb 01 2012 10:53 am

songdog wrote:I'm so glad to have found a group going to Havasupai. I have been wanting to do this trip for a couple of years now. I am very much into hammock camping so that's what I will be packing. If the dates (June 24th - 27th) are firm, I will go ahead and make my reservations. Looking forward to it!
"the songdog"

Hello Songdog!

The dates swapped again due to scheduling conflicts!

JUNE 26th - JUNE 29th are now the 100% set in stone dates for this trip :D
WOULD LOVE to have you along! The more the merrier, and very excited to meet another hammocker! :D

yes that is Tuesday/wedneday/thursday/friday, less traffic driving up on a tuesday, amazingly enough less people schedule for tuesday-friday so open spots are more likely! :D

Camping

2012 reservations will be taken by telephone beginning Feb 1, 2012.

Camping office hours:

Monday through Friday, 7am - 7pm

Camping Reservations

Please note, if you do not have a reservation, and just show up - you will be billed at twice the amount of the regular price. That's $114 plus tax per person not $57.

For camping reservations, please call us at:

1-928-448-2141
1-928-448-2121
1-928-448-2174
or 1-928-448-2180
If lines are busy, please keep trying! We are trying our best to answer all the calls.

So, we may adequately serve you, please have the following information ready:

* Desired dates ***JUNE 26 - JUNE 29***
* Number of nights of camping ***4 days, 3 nights!***
* Number of people in your party

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 01 2012 11:00 am

You planning to hike in at night? That's what my son did when he went in June one time. He said it really did help with the heat problem. They hiked out at night, too. This sounds sort of fun, and I'll be back from Costa Rica, but I am not sure I am ready to deal with that much heat. Great once you get there, for the swimming, though.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Feb 08 2012 4:49 pm

azbackpackr wrote: but I am not sure I am ready to deal with that much heat. Great once you get there, for the swimming, though.
honestly it was not that hot when we went in last year, admittedly yes it is much hotter down in the canyon and much of the hike in is opened to the sky, we started hiking around 5am and we didn't get hot until we neared "Navajo Falls" just outside the village and by then we were able to rest take a dip and continue on to the campground.
We plan on meeting everyone at the Hilltop the night of June 25th for some free of charge "car camping" in the parking lot and being on the trail by 5am again.

Depending on the total number of people (9 or 10 so far!) we might split into two hiking groups for the faster walkers like myself and my boyfriend to get a chance to sprint ahead if they wish.
This idea was also created to "claim" a few campsites early that day before anyone else sets out. Not sure how well this will work as there were already a lot of boy and girl scout groups out there last time but we shall see!! :D
very excited!

DBmooner

Post by DBmooner » Feb 08 2012 5:29 pm

when we hike in, leaveing early in the morining sounds good but for the hike out i would like to hike at night so it wont be so hot or leave at like 2 am so we wont have to hike in the hottest part of the day.

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Feb 17 2012 5:48 pm

DB personally I enjoy hiking in the heat as does my other half, last year we got a late start and left the campsite at maybe 6am :sl:

half the group was red in the face, exhausted, hungry and grumpy by the time we started the last mile up haha so yes probably depending on carpooling situations and everyone's schedules we will either leave at 2am on friday or later that evening. I'd rather spend more time there I did not like leaving on the last day haha
we can always split into a slower and faster or heat resistant group as well. we can discuss during a Stretch Session one night!

DBmooner

Post by DBmooner » Feb 17 2012 6:25 pm

i will hike in at 2 am the first day to get a good spot and leave late afternoon to evening on the last day. the heat dosent bother me i work the heat so i like to avoid it when possible. i will have saterday and sunday off may stick around for an extra day :D

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Feb 19 2012 10:58 am

Sounds good to me DB! Vince and I will be booking it down the trail as well to snag the good camping spots that are toward the end of the camp ground...closer to Mooney Falls, good grief :D
can't wait, one of my coworkers might join... If Outdoor Lover can make it that makes two co-workers! :D
Looking at a group of 11 thus far, not too shabby, last trip was 9 of us.

Return to “Hiking Events”