Start Date 2012-06-26

# of days 1

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Havasupai Backpacking Trip 2.0!

Post by Hippy » Dec 01 2011 8:43 am

DATES ARE SET IN STONE FOR

TUESDAY JUNE 26th - FRIDAY JUNE 29th 2012

Because once in a lifetime isn't enough. This is open and recommended to all! If you have never been, this is the trip to get in shape for. It's a 14 mile hike downhill to the campground and small Indian town of Supai (the last remaining place in the US that receives it's mail via mule/horse).

Once established we will be swimming, hiking and exploring the canyon for four days and three nights.

The cost per person for camping will be around $100, plus any gear or food (you must provide yourself).
For the less adventurous the Havasupai tribe does offer to carry your gear via mule (find the details on the their website).
Once a guest list is established a carpool will be organized. If you are at all interested look at some photos via google(or my triplog from June 2011), it will quickly solidify your decision.
This is organized with the intention of sharing the experience with friends.
-Hiking/swimming/exploring Beaver Falls, Navajo Falls, Havasu Falls, and Mooney Falls.
-Possibly exploring underwater caves along the river.
-Hiking to the Grand Canyon via the river (10 mile day hike).

<<Hiking From Campground to Colorado River is 8.5 Miles One Way. Per Supai Website>>

-Exploring a part of the canyon that a majority of guest never get to see.

FYI-Prior to attending this trip there will be a few day hikes to help evaluate the groups flow and fitness level. Also to make it easier we will make extra reservations (due to some people not getting through last time). If you want us to make your reservation, please be advised that your portion of the tribe's camping fees will be due ahead of time (date-TBA).

Hike Details- http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=58
All details about Supai can be found on http://www.havasupaitribe.com/index.html .

This Trip Is being Coordinated by HippyHaley & Vincent1987
You can also find us (and the event of the same name) on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/hippystyle
(msg me here or there with any questions)

** Each person wanting to come along is responsible for making her or his own reservation(s) and having their camping fees on hand before the carpool/caravan leaves the meeting place (ATMS are available in citys we drive through but please be prepared beforehand). **

:y:
Last edited by Hippy on Feb 01 2012 10:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Hippy

Re: Havasupai Backpacking Trip 2.0!

Post by Hippy » Apr 02 2012 2:04 pm

Hey those of you who really want to come to Supai with us this june if you are comfortable sending me your email address I can send you what we think is the perfect gear list for this specific trip!
just PM me on here and we will send you the list.
it will be coming from goyaah@ymail.com which is our own hiking group's email. or you can just send an email to that address and request the information!

squatpuke
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by squatpuke » Apr 04 2012 12:26 pm

I'm moving myself to "IN" on this one...

Also have a high school buddy (non-HAZer) that (at this point) said he was golden.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 04 2012 12:34 pm

squatpuke wrote:I'm moving myself to "IN" on this one...

Also have a high school buddy (non-HAZer) that (at this point) said he was golden.
'Bout time you got back to the Canyon! :)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

squatpuke

Post by squatpuke » Apr 05 2012 6:42 am

azbackpackr wrote:

Tell me about it....I seem to recall it being a large hole in the ground....

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Apr 05 2012 7:12 am

squatpuke wrote:
azbackpackr wrote:

Tell me about it....I seem to recall it being a large hole in the ground....

large....hole....ground....yeah that about covers it...oh, except then you need to add in the gorgeous Sunsets...animated wildlife...BEAUTIFUL blue green waters and waterfalls of Havasu Creek...yeah, just a hole in the ground that happens to hide "Paradise" quite nicely! :DANCE:

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Apr 05 2012 7:56 am

p.s. here is driving directions to Hullapai Hilltop (parking lot!)
http://g.co/maps/b4295

I did it from Arrowhead Mall for my own sake but it's easy to figure out from there.
or you can just go to the trip description and map it from your own area
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=58

squatpuke

Post by squatpuke » Apr 09 2012 10:02 am

Well...shucks...

I just called to get a reservation and was told the entire month of June was booked...

Haley...did you happen to reserve a block? Do they have a cancellation list? Did I do something wrong...

:(

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Apr 11 2012 7:08 am

Geez SP! Always getting in trouble!!
They do have a cancellation list as I mentioned before, keep trying sometimes a spot will open up.

Vince and I reserved 10 spots (myself, vince and 8 others) thus far we may have 4 cancellations of our 8 but will not know 100% until May 1st.

Anyone interested please keep calling and try to snag a cancellation for the dates of our trip! it's possible!

Also by May 1st I will post and let everyone know if we have spots open but don't count on it :(

((this is why we plan so far in advance! :sweat: ))

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Apr 14 2012 11:11 pm

You know you can show up and they will give you a spot without a reservation. Its the rez, cash is king :)
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 15 2012 2:33 am

I have heard that before. I have known people who were successful at getting a spot that way. I have not done it, and the tribe will tell you officially it's not done (to keep the Feds happy, not over-impact the place, etc.) but I suspect that it is true. How about it Larry, you could give it a try...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

base871

Post by base871 » Apr 15 2012 8:06 pm

I did it last year. We just went down and went to the office and asked if we could get permit. No problems. It was right after the flood, so I think people were leery of going, and then another hit while we were there. Needless to say it was dead down there, Maybe 15 people total, this was in August.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Apr 16 2012 8:33 am

Base we went in june last year and had 2 groups of 4 and 5 people when we got down there they took all 9 of us under one reservation! So it was like they didn't even care.

Looks like we have spots open anyway! 2 people are flaking out already hehe
Base come join us! :D

base871

Post by base871 » Apr 16 2012 1:02 pm

Id love to but with my job I can only commit about 7 days in advance at the most. Usually more like 4 days with a heads up. So for me its last minute stuff and solo. Thats why I never sign up for stuff anymore, Ive had to flake out last minute too often. (And why I quit ABC). All the good backpacking trips fill up and the last minute openings always get taken :( .

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Apr 16 2012 3:18 pm

@base871
it's ok, i totally understand. Vince and I are the same way, thats why we plan our own trips so far in advance!

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Apr 16 2012 7:33 pm

I'm sooo tempted!!! I haven't been there since 2005 and love that place.
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Apr 19 2012 9:07 am

@Trishness we will be "hosting" this same trip every June just a heads up ;)
also if you are tempted enough feel free to opt in if you can snag a reservation!!! We had 2 members drop out because they're moving to CA around the same time but we filled up those spots quick! about 12 people in our group (that we know of!!) so far!

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Apr 26 2012 6:47 pm

HH....wish I could go. Somethings tells me the boss ain't gonna be too keen on my taking 10 days off at the end of May (UTAH bound!!!) and then another 4 days in June. I might have to just go to Havasu in October or November this year.

:)
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Apr 27 2012 12:00 pm

@Trishness No worries, YAY UTAH! Maybe you can join us next June! :)

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Apr 27 2012 12:01 pm

Boyfriend got me the most amazing book for my birthday last month...

-excerpt from page 10, Chapter 2 of The Sacred Oral Tradition of the Havasupai.

"A desert oasis is green, fertile, and well watered. This perfectly describes the astonishing village of the Havasupai people who live hidden and isolated three thousand feet below the Colorado Plateau, in a side valley of the Grand Canyon. To reach this haven, one must travel off the main road and across a pinon-juniper forest to the head of one of only two trails into Havasu Canyon.From there, one goes by foot or horseback down a dry, rocky, treeless, prescipitous, ancient route. After what can seem an endlass passage, one emerges into a ribbon of brilliant green fed by a clear, cool stream that cuts through this narrow, red canyon home of the Havasupai."

:D

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Apr 27 2012 12:04 pm

HippyHaley wrote:To reach this haven, one must travel off the main road and across a pinon-juniper forest to the head of one of only two trails into Havasu Canyon.From there, one goes by foot or horseback down a dry, rocky, treeless, prescipitous, ancient route. After what can seem an endlass passage, one emerges into a ribbon of brilliant green fed by a clear, cool stream that cuts through this narrow, red canyon home of the Havasupai
Either that or take a 3 minute helicopter ride :) ....I'm heading there next week :y:
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Return to “Hiking Events”