Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2012-03-10

# of days 1

Wild Bill
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Creek Az.

Restore the David Gowan Grave site

Post by Wild Bill » Feb 06 2012 9:10 am

I have recently recieved written permission from the Tonto National Forest Service to get a group of Volunteers together and restore the David Gowan Grave on the Deer Creek trail in the tonto basin ranger district, the local Home'depot is possibly Donating the fencing, there will be 18 pieces that will need to be carried out there plus a few tools, I will be staging the fencing near the windmill area about 1 miles into the hike so we will only have to carry the fencing about 2 of the 3 miles. Please contact me @ 928-978-4945 if interested we all will need to sign a volunteer form for the Forest servic prior to in events. So on March 10th at 8 a.m. at the Deer Creek trail head, Hwy 87 & 188 Please come and join in on this event to preserve a Historical grave site

rally_toad
Quickapelli
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Re: Restore the David Gowan Grave site

Post by rally_toad » Feb 18 2012 10:47 am

Wish I could make this! Thanks for doing this!!
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

Wild Bill
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Wild Bill » Feb 20 2012 10:58 am

well some how I placed myself in the Interested column and it locked things up, contacted webmaster to help unliock sorry for my lacking computer skills

In the flyer I posted around town I've adviced all people to wear appropriate clothing for the days work Hats etc. Thanks for your concern azbackpackr

Wild Bill
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Wild Bill » Feb 21 2012 9:32 am

so far as of today we have about 12 people that are supposed to be helping

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by WilliamnWendi » Feb 21 2012 10:37 am

Wild Bill wrote:so far as of today we have about 12 people that are supposed to be helping
Sweet! I am still in.
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Feb 28 2012 10:25 am

Inshallah, I will be there. It's light enough now to head out at 0700, so will be even lighter in two weeks. How about moving it up an hour? :)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Wild Bill
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Wild Bill » Mar 09 2012 10:54 am

Well tomorrow is the day, can't wait to get this done, after all these months, I love it when a plan comes together! :y:

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli

Post by WilliamnWendi » Mar 09 2012 1:08 pm

I am still in. I can be there at 7/8. I am bringing gloves and I can bring other tools if needed.
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!

Post by kingsnake » Mar 09 2012 1:20 pm

I'm bringing some tools as well. Me and my wife will be there before 8, so we can sip coffee and enjoy the sunrise ... :)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

AZLOT69
Adventure Kokopelli
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by AZLOT69 » Mar 10 2012 8:43 pm

Job well done.....interesting to me, depending on your which Forest Service district dealt with, I thought they were all in the U.S.,handle things differently. Tonto likes to destroy things. Not only in the Wilderness but outside the wilderness as well. Case in point is the grave of Celia Blaylock at the Pinal Cemetary in Superior. They removed the memorial, more than once, allegedly because they couldn't verify it was legit. Was it hurting anything, the facts surrounding it are true, so what was it hurting. I'm here from the federal government and I'm here to help. I believe desecrating a cemetary is a federal offense. BOZOS.

A Grave Matter for Mattie Earp

Mattie Earp had a hard life. Her afterlife hasn’t been much better.
Written by Mark Boardman Published February 16, 2010 . .

Click above image to view more graphics

You may know Celia Ann Blaylock-Mattie-from movies such as Tombstone or Wyatt Earp. She’s the drugged out, paranoid shrew who tried the patience of her legendary common-law husband Wyatt Earp.

Now she’s at the center of a cemetery controversy in Pinal County, Arizona—over a grave that may not even be hers!

Mattie Earp ended up somewhere in the Old Pinal Cemetery after she took a fatal dose of laudanum to ease her pain.

In reality, we don’t know much about Mattie. It’s believed she was born in Iowa in 1850 and headed West at age 16. She probably worked as a prostitute as she shifted from town to town. We don’t know exactly when or where she and Wyatt got together. We don’t know if she was hooked on drugs while she was in Tombstone. We don’t know exactly when or how she and Wyatt broke up.

We do know that Josie Marcus showed up and stole Wyatt’s love and affection away. Mattie went back to her nomadic lifestyle around 1882, again resorting to prostitution to get by. It was a downhill existence. She ended up in the mining boomtown of Pinal.

On July 3, 1888—losing her looks and her prospects and whatever hope an aging whore had—she killed herself with an overdose of laudanum. The next day, Independence Day, she was buried in the Pinal Cemetery.

It’s unclear if her grave was marked.

For the most part, Mattie was forgotten. Wyatt and Josie never spoke of her. The important bio Wyatt Earp: Frontier Marshal made no mention of her. For sure, former Tombstone residents knew about her; occasionally she was briefly mentioned in print. But it wasn’t until the 1960s that Mattie was included in the Earp story—and even then, the facts were obscured by ignorance and fantasy.

Somebody put up a simple marker for her at the cemetery in the 1950s, but it probably wasn’t at the exact spot of her grave. Someone stole that marker in the ’70s. In 1995, another somebody erected an imitation 19th-century headstone at this cemetery located on National Forest Service (NFS) property. The NFS removed it because the marker had been put up without government approval, a process that would have ensured archaeological sites at the cemetery were not damaged—even by a marker.

Within a few months, a larger memorial—a shrine, really—appeared at the same spot. This time, the NFS decided to leave it, fearing that an even bigger marker would sprout up if they took the current one down.

So that one remained, attracting some curious visitors to the area.

Until last summer. When someone began welding an iron fence around Mattie’s marker, a ticked off NFS worker—ignoring orders—decided he’d had enough and removed the shrine. The NFS was not pleased, but for now, it has decided to keep out any replacements.

Enter the Arizona Pioneer & Cemetery Research Project (APCRP), a controversial group that, among other things, searches for unmarked graves in cemeteries. That’s touchy enough, but members do it via dowsing, a process that involves a person walking through the cemetery with a metal rod (usually made from coat hangers) in each hand. Supposedly, when the two rods cross each other, a grave has been located. Then the dowser marks the grave, usually with whatever is at hand, but sometimes they construct a monument.

As you might guess, most scientists don’t buy it. More important, archaeologists and preservationists worry about the damage done by such activity in historic cemeteries—and that does not even touch on the legal issues.

The Pinal Cemetery is among the cemeteries where APCRP members go dowsing. When they noticed the Mattie marker was missing, they raised a storm of protest—posting blogs and calling and sending letters to the forest service.

Forest Service officials met with APCRP reps last November, but in spite of the forest service’s best efforts, the dowsers refused to see how their activities were disturbing the cemetery. No consensus was reached.

In the meantime, the True West Preservation Society is working on a proposal to protect and interpret the cemetery, which will be a component in a Legend of Superior Trail project in the not-so-distant future. And yes, the plan includes erecting an approved marker that places Mattie Earp in the context of the larger history of the Pinal area.

No matter what, you can bet Mattie’s true grave site will remain as it has been to date—unknown.

........and its not the first time the feds have done this

BLM: Desecrating Your Rights
and the Deceased?
Share This Article

By Joseph Snook
Investigative Reporter

Central Oregon - Ethics violations, wild Mustang's killed, abusing citizens, unlawful arrests, child molestation, false accusations, closing public roads (2), and now, desecration of a cemetery? All of these accusations are leveled at the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), and many citizens and law enforcement are taking action against this federal agency.

Friends of Rudio Mountain (FORM), an Oregon non-profit organization, is the latest to report the abuses caused at the hands of the BLM. Three separate, yet relevant incidents were recently leveled against the Prineville, Oregon BLM office in Central Oregon. These incidents have cost one BLM employee his job, another to be formally reprimanded for ethics violations and another incident has yet to be told - the desecration of a cemetery at the hands of BLM Central Oregon Resource Area Manager, Homer "Chip" Faver.

A BRIEF HISTORY

BLM: Homer "Chip" Faver
With an estimated 500 supporters, FORM has donated countless time and funds to help maintain Rudio Mountain for many years. One spokeswoman from FORM stated the group has been a part of the "Adopt an Open Space Program" for sixteen years. The adopt an open space title is given to people or organizations that help maintain the area they are adopting. In FORM's case, this meant picking up trash on Rudio Mountain, along with replacing road signs on the mountain - free of charge - to help provide safety for the people who recreate, live or travel on Rudio Mountain.

In the past, FORM's communication with Prineville BLM has been intricate in keeping Rudio Mountain a quality place for people to enjoy. Now, recent events have left FORM and other Oregon residents outraged. It is reported that former BLM Central Oregon Area Manager, Christina Welch, who had a working relationship with FORM in the past was replaced by Homer Chip Faver - a replacement that has caused many problems, not only for BLM, but Homer Faver in a personal capacity as well.

On Rudio Mountain there are several historic grave-sites and memorials which FORM cares for, not to mention the signs they freely place, but because of an investigation into FORM, Faver decided FORM was at odds with BLM's mission and regulations.

Faver reportedly denied the renewal of FORM's adopt an open space agreement and in an email, Faver told FORM, "All signs and memorial objects will be removed." It was also reported that Faver stated, "I can have the boy scouts pick up trash on the mountain once a year."

In fact, Faver had stated, "the area will be restored to the condition that existed prior..." He was the only person to formally acknowledge a plan to remove signs and headstones; he was the only one who wanted to desecrate the cemetery and the road signs.

Upon his arrival to Rudio Mountain on October 13, 2011 for road sign and headstone removal with six other reported BLM employees - Faver alleged that all road signs, except for two and all headstones in Legends and Outlaws Cemetery, that had been on Rudio for years, had somehow disappeared - just before BLM could do it publicly. Many locals have stated that Faver was the only one who wanted them removed. One went further to say, "You're damn right, I believe that Prineville BLM was behind this..." One public figure in the area who asked to remain anonymous stated, "Who the hell is it bothering leaving people buried or memorialized up there?"

While talking to Grant County Sheriff Glen Palmer, he stated, "If I catch anyone removing road signs or headstones, I'll arrest them immediately." He further stated his plans of writing a letter to BLM addressing this and other issues. I commend Sheriff Palmer for representing the people he was elected to serve. Sheriff Palmer had a tone, or way about him that makes you proud there is a man like that in law enforcement. As the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of Grant County, Sheriff Palmer appears to have his hands full with an agency that has so many reported problems in his county. The people of Grant County need to support their Sheriff and their constitutional rights and take a stand against the Federal Agency that is reportedly abusing them.

BLM EMPLOYEE FORMALLY REPRIMANDED FOR ETHICS VIOLATIONS?

According to reports, BLM employee John E. Fisher violated BLM's ethics rules. Reports of Fisher sub-leasing grazing lands, which is prohibited by a BLM employee, coupled with an unreported number of wild Mustangs found dead on leased land by hikers, prompted involvement from BLM Chief, Internal Affairs - Office of Law Enforcement, Thomas E. Huegerich, which on June 22, 2011 concluded that John E. Fisher was in direct violation of BLM ethics.

Horseback magazine published an article on the Mustang Massacre issue, wherein it was reported that any Mustangs on Rudio Mountain were not wild. According to the article, the Mustangs were "unauthorized,” not qualifying them as "wild." These reports were based off of beliefs that nearby "wild" Mustangs couldn't possibly migrate. Reports from hikers and local residents about wild Mustangs crossing over to Rudio Mountain from other nearby areas during hunting season apparently had no validity since "BLM" said so...

Reported statements from BLM employee John Fisher regarding the need to kill all Mustangs on Rudio Mountain to allow cattle to graze freely wasn't validated by Horseback magazine or BLM, which gives the impression that they were not true - but the fact remains that BLM employee John Fisher was violating BLM ethics while sub-leasing grazing land as an employee of BLM and many Mustangs were reportedly found "DEAD" on the land he sub-leased. Other reports of Mustang abuse have also been made.

Upon looking into BLM's discretionary budget, a question came to mind -

Maybe BLM should have used a portion of their jaw-dropping 63.9 million dollar annual budget for wild horses, to conduct a better investigation regarding the large number of wild or "unauthorized" Mustang deaths?

BLM EMPLOYEE LOSES JOB - ABUSE ALLEGATIONS

Former BLM employee, John Decker was reportedly fired shortly after a complaint was filed by people that he harassed while they were camping. Reportedly, one of the people just happened to be another government employee, who stated on a blog, "I have personally experienced lack of professionalism from a Prineville BLM employee during a family outing on Rudio mtn-BLM land. My outing was ruined by the constant harassment and threats of the BLM employee. The employee no longer works for the Prineville district and has nothing to do with the MASSACRE, but none the less was a representative of the same district that now employees the person of interest in the grazing allotment scandal. As a public employee myself I would have been terminated had I violated this un-ethical deed. It is time to investigate the Prineville District BLM and make the necessary adjustments to personnel that will promote professional conduct among its employees."

BLM's budget for 2012 is over 1.2 billion dollars - given by our elected officials and paid for by every tax paying citizen of the United States. Tearing down road signs that were donated for safety, desecrating or condoning the desecration of a cemetery, abusing people's rights and possibly killing wild Mustangs aren't acceptable actions for BLM employees. The BLM needs to take responsibility for their actions and the people need to stand up for their rights and put a stop to this injustice.
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

Wild Bill
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Wild Bill » Mar 11 2012 7:24 pm

I would like to thank williamnwendi & Kingsnake for their great help this weekend, Wow it turned out Awesome :D

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!

Post by kingsnake » Mar 11 2012 8:06 pm

Thank you for asking. :)

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli

Post by WilliamnWendi » Mar 12 2012 6:45 am

Yep, thanks for putting out the call. Jeremy and his friend should get the awards though, some post whole digging fools!

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Mar 13 2012 3:04 pm

Great work on the grave site project. Must have been difficult getting permission from the forest service, at one time a Eagle scout project was to inventory pioneer grave sites in the Tonto Basin but the forest service was not interested. Macks Rest on AZ 87 I had visited when first moving to Arizona in 67 and had a family friend involved in his burial. Attempted to visit a couple of times (since hiway reconstruction) but have not be able to locate and the forest service was no interested in advising the location.
jk

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 13 2012 4:54 pm

Nighthiker wrote:Great work on the grave site project. Must have been difficult getting permission from the forest service, at one time a Eagle scout project was to inventory pioneer grave sites in the Tonto Basin but the forest service was not interested. Macks Rest on AZ 87 I had visited when first moving to Arizona in 67 and had a family friend involved in his burial. Attempted to visit a couple of times (since hiway reconstruction) but have not be able to locate and the forest service was no interested in advising the location.
Pet peeve: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4418&p=42924&hilit=cabins#p42924
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Canyonram
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Canyonram » Mar 19 2012 9:05 am

Write-up in the Payson Roundup March 14 2012 for the great work done to repair the gravesite:

http://www.paysonroundup.com/news/2012/ ... gravesite/

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!

Post by kingsnake » Mar 19 2012 11:57 am

Thanx for that link. :)

no avatar
Aurareader
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, az

Post by Aurareader » Oct 12 2013 9:36 pm

@Nighthiker
Mile marker 215......give or take a mile r two. Heading north on 87, it'll be on your right hand side.....up high.

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!

Post by kingsnake » Oct 13 2013 9:57 am

Enh? Davey Gowan's grave is on the west side of 87, about three miles up creek from the TH (which is across the street from the closed rest stop). Or is this referring to someone else's burial site? :-k

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Oct 15 2013 5:29 am

Mack's rest is another grave site located just off of AZ 87. Since 87 was redone, I have not been able to locate it.
jk

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!

Post by kingsnake » Oct 15 2013 6:54 am

Only google hits coming up are for this thread ... :|

Return to “Hiking Events”