Linked Guides none
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Dateorganizer has not set a date

# of days 1

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Reavis Ranch from Rogers TH

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Feb 28 2012 5:18 pm

Short notice, but wanting to head up to Reavis Ranch the weekend. (Sat and Sun) I had this planned with a couple of friends, but everyone pussed out on me. And my wife isn't very comfortable with me going by myself, so figured maybe someone might want to go. I plan on leaving Mesa area about 6am on Sat and plan to be back afternoonish on Sun. If interested, PM me for details.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: Reavis Ranch from Rogers TH

Post by te_wa » Feb 28 2012 7:41 pm

good time of year for this trail.
:D

allanalxndr
City, State: Phx, AZ

Post by allanalxndr » Feb 28 2012 7:58 pm

Man we were up there a few weeks ago, it was awesome. If I didn't have plans I'd be in. Maybe next time!

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Feb 28 2012 8:15 pm

Just got back from Roger's trough, trail crew working in there now, and we did some brushing. The road is being graded this week, they were to the 3 point turn tonight as I came out.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 28 2012 11:51 pm

Sredfield wrote:The road is being graded this week, they were to the 3 point turn tonight as I came out.
Do they grade all the way to the TH? If so, does it make that road more friendly for non 4x4's? I have a small Front Wheel Drive SUV. (Ford Escape) If that's the case, I may change my plans for this Friday, I have some non Trail exploring I've been itching to do.... :GB:

Sorry Kevin, I'd love to do it, but the only way I can do a weekend is to take vacation.... :(
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Feb 29 2012 5:03 am

Outdoor Lover wrote:
Sredfield wrote:The road is being graded this week, they were to the 3 point turn tonight as I came out.
Do they grade all the way to the TH? If so, does it make that road more friendly for non 4x4's? I have a small Front Wheel Drive SUV. (Ford Escape) If that's the case, I may change my plans for this Friday, I have some non Trail exploring I've beIching to do.... :GB:

Sorry Kevin, I'd love to do it, but the only way I can do a weekend is to take vacation.... :(
I do not recommend a front wheel drive vehicle on the last part of this road as they have a tendency to tear up their tires on the sharp rocky parts of the road and you also will not have enough traction on the steep hills.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Feb 29 2012 6:38 am

I imagine a regular car could make it, but it might be tricky, and it will bottom out a few times. Maybe use someone else's car ;). I had a 4WD Explorer.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 29 2012 6:40 am

@SuperstitionGuy
:( Ok :( By the way, I did all my belching last night! Nice copy on the quote, I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't me, especially since I had just gotten home from Papago when I posted.... :sl:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

DarthStiller
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by DarthStiller » Feb 29 2012 6:55 am

Outdoor Lover wrote:If so, does it make that road more friendly for non 4x4's?
I used to take my FWD Amigo up to that TH all the time and never had any problems. The rip rap looks like it can be problematic, but just don't try it if you're driving on baloney skins.

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Feb 29 2012 7:45 am

Sredfield wrote:The road is being graded this week
I was up there on ATV last week and the road could use some work. Glad you guys are on top of it :y:
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Feb 29 2012 6:40 pm

the only problem about coming home from Papago is that you're no longer at Papago.
:D

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Mar 02 2012 7:59 pm

Sredfield wrote:I imagine a regular car could make it, but it might be tricky, and it will bottom out a few times. Maybe use someone else's car ;). I had a 4WD Explorer.
Better ask Tim Davis~~~He used to take his Honda Accord up that road if I recall. :D
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

DBmooner
City, State: chandler, Az

Post by DBmooner » Mar 02 2012 8:52 pm

was at the ranch 2 weeks ago and it was really cold there were patches of snow on the ground in the ranch but i came in from the north there was alot of snow by castle Dome. i wasnt abel to find the spring but the creek was running really good.

SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Mar 02 2012 9:01 pm

If the creek is above a normal level the output of the spring may be underwater.

Did you find the remains of the old truck frame trailer?

The spring is about a hundred feet or less north of the trailer on the same side of the stream.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.

kevinweitzel75

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Mar 02 2012 9:34 pm

I wont be going up there this weekend due to cancellations. :( thinking in the next couple of weeks. Maybe March 18 and 19. Still open for all to go if interested. Or if another weekend works. 10 and 11 are no good due to work.
Robert Frost

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Mar 02 2012 9:40 pm

@SuperstitionGuy He did send me a PM update on this (per below). This weekend Kevin was also going to look for this spring you mention. I wonder if Kevin will remember to check it out.. viewtopic.php?t=3787

Sent: Feb 20 2012 4:00 pm
To: Grasshopper
im sorry to say that i was not able to find the spring i looked for the trailer fram and could not find it . saw what i thought might be the trailer but only the hitch and the front 2 wheels were sticking out of the ground and found i pipe comeing out of the ground right by it but it wasnt the spring . sorry again but the creeck is flowing good and there are still a couple patches of snow so the creek shgould still be running when you go out there in a few weeks
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

kevinweitzel75

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Mar 02 2012 10:16 pm

Haven't forgotten about the spring. That's one of the reasons I'm disappointed about not making it up there this weekend. Hopefully I will be able to get up there in the next few weeks. Even if its a day hike.
Robert Frost

SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Mar 02 2012 10:41 pm

Please keep in mind that the spring is located quite a ways north of the Ranch House site. Beyound the orchard, beyound the field north of the orchard and beyound the woods north of the field.

When you enter the valley from the north trailhead the trail makes a 90 degree turn to the right and begins to parallel the stream/valley. Shortly after it does this there was a gate in the fence line with a trail running diagonally to the sharp left to a hardened campsite often used by horseman. It is this campsite where you will find the old trailer close to the stream.

A trail leaves this campsite next to the trailer heading north and across the stream bed. The spring is located immediately on your left as you cross the stream bed at this point. I suspect that the fence line that used to parallel the trail is long gone including the metal fence posts therefore you may not recognize the point where there was a gate at one time. Just look for the trail on your left that takes you back to the hardened campsite.

The spring was never improved by the ranch as the ranch had a well close to the house and the pipe coming out of the ground mentioned in DBmooner's most recent post is the old ranch house well pipe.

kevinweitzel75

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Mar 12 2012 8:03 pm

Things are looking good for this hike this coming weekend. Still have to confirm with one person. I do plan on looking for the spring. With luck we will find it.
Robert Frost

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Mar 14 2012 3:41 pm

kevinweitzel75 wrote:Things are looking good for this hike this coming weekend.
Suggest you closely follow the upcoming weekend NWS forecast as conditions seem forecasted to change rapidly by ~Sunday.
http://hikearizona.com/forecast.php?e=T ... 5qSTNNRFF5 (at Reavis Ranch area)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Return to “Hiking Events”