Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2012-07-30

# of days 1

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

12,633 Feet? Let's Do It!

Post by Hippy » Apr 19 2012 12:19 pm

Monday, July 30th 2012
We will be leading a very easy going paced hike up to the summit of The Tallest Mountain In Arizona.
It is roughly a 10 mile hike (that's round trip don't worry!)

Within those 5 miles to the summit we will gain 3300 feet of elevation, the trail head starts around 9300 feet and we will top out at 12,633...

This hike is being led by Haley & Vince (HippyHaley & GOYAAH), so there is the option of hiking at a slower(H) or faster(V) pace so no worries about being too slow or being bored (if you're a faster hiker!)
This is a great opportunity to go on a challenging hike with friends and take in the beautiful scenery at your own pace!

We will be leaving Sunday July 29th for the drive out to flagstaff, we will car or tent camp and set out on the hike long before the sun rises!
Leaving the trail head this early gives the slower paced hikers PLENTY of time to summit the Mountain and NO RUSH to get back down!
This scheduling will also leave us with the rest of monday (July 30th) to rest and relax in the happy little city of Flagstaff :)

Depending on how many people are attending there is (as always) the carpooling/caravan options.
If you'd like to drive please opt to take fellow hikers with you to save on fuel and keep our air cleaner :)
As of now there will be 3 seats open in our Subaru, any takers?

The link below is details on the hike.
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=64
Last edited by Hippy on Jul 20 2012 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hippy

Re: 12,633 Feet? Let's Do It!

Post by Hippy » Apr 19 2012 12:35 pm

I have gathered the following weather info to share for this hike (for anyone who has done this in july/august please share your thoughts/advice etc thank you!)
As it is the end of July I will have the info separated for July/August average temps etc.

High temps 81/79
Low temps 50/48
Highest chance of rainfall (sorry! Bring a poncho!)
Winds at the top can reach 80mph
Sunrise roughly 630am
Sunset roughly 830pm

This hike is probably the easiest highpoint of all the western states. The trail is well maintained, it's easily done in a few hours and it doesn't have any portions of extreme exposure or requiring technical expertise. However, Humphreys makes up for its relative ease by having some very fickle weather. Summer thunderstorms are tremendous, extremely dangerous and they build up FAST! It can go from blue, cloudless skies to big puffy thunderheads and lightning in about 30 minutes time. If you go up during the monsoon season (usually July-August), plan to be off the mountain by noon, which means the earlier start the better. We are hoping for a 330am start!

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Apr 19 2012 1:07 pm

HippyHaley wrote:plan to be off the mountain by noon
You just need to be below treeline by noon, so you could start at say 6:30-7:00 and easily make it into the safety of the trees by noon, given that you aren't planning on spending 3 hours at the summit or hiking at an absolute crawl.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Apr 19 2012 1:59 pm

@hippiepunkpirate idk my lungs are pretty bad :sweat: nah, we love an early morning hike we usually start down or up trails no later than 5am if its a good hike (the hike to Supai we start at 5, the hike up Supes Peak 5057 no later than 6 etc)

Have you been up there? Is there a flat spot on the summit big enough to...umm...do a cartwheel? :D

hippiepunkpirate

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Apr 19 2012 2:28 pm

The summit is pretty big and flat but the rock is extremely jagged and probably not very cartwheel friendly

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Apr 19 2012 3:05 pm

Flat is all I need. I'm pretty crazy sometimes, I'm just hoping the wind is in my favor, what an addition Humphrey's Peak would be to Cartwheels Across America!! :D Yeah, I'll pretty much do anything that won't kill me or paralyze me to get a goood cartwheel shot...

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 19 2012 3:09 pm

Sigh. I used to cartwheel. I still do but it hurts. There is a photo of me on Facebook, cartwheeling on a deserted beach in Nicaragua, a couple of months ago. Not very good cartwheels, though. It hurts my wrists, so I pretty much had to quit. That day, I was showing off. Paid for it later.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Apr 19 2012 4:56 pm

Take a look at the campsites at Freidlein Prairie. If you can find an empty site, it's only a few minutes away from the trailhead, and the elevation might help you acclimate a little more. The roads shouldn't be much of an issue for a Subaru, though I've only been a short ways down the road.

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Apr 19 2012 5:06 pm

Good words Patrick! Thanks! Acclimation might be a problem for some of us that's why I'm driving up and camping the night before. And my subaru needs a good rough road test drive so we shall see! thank you! Gonna join us? ;)

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Apr 19 2012 5:14 pm

I've done the same thing the last two times I've been up there. Whether the elevation affects you or not, it's a really convenient location for hiking up there. I can't say for sure, but as long as it's on a Monday I can probably swing it!

squatpuke
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by squatpuke » Apr 20 2012 6:49 am

Not 100% but can you car camp around Snowbowl???

Lockett Meadown or Weatherford TH also options....longer hikes though.

hippiepunkpirate

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Apr 20 2012 8:15 am

I personally wouldn't recommend Weatherford or Lockett starts for first time Humphreys hikers (unless they are already doing 14-20 mile 4000+ elevation hikes on a semi regular basis). The standard route is a fine place to start. I don't know anything one way ir the other about camping at snowbowl, but I have never seen anybody do it. I would call the ranger station prior to making arrangements to camp there as it is popular and very accessible, so if it is illegal to camp, you would have a good chance at getting cited and fined. Liz (juliachaos) drove her Subaru Outback all the way to the end of Freidlein Prairie road a couple years ago, I believe. Its just slow going. I second the recommendation to camp at Freidlein Prairie.

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Apr 20 2012 8:22 am

I got out to the end of that road in my civic in November of 2006. It was OK. I just went slow in spots. Why go to the end, though. There are camping areas near 180 and Snowbowl, and 180 is quiet at night. I refer the the area that was thinned off 180 back in 2008. Or, just go on the west side of 180, there is a ton of stuff over there.

Don't start before sunrise. Humphrey isn't that hard or big.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 20 2012 8:59 am

There are so many places to camp off 180, plus Shultz Pass Road, although you have to drive way back up in there to camp there.

I have friends that camp in their motor home on the east side of 180, on the last road to the right before the Snowbowl road, and there are a lot of campsites back in on that road. It's a no-brainer. Very easy to find and drive in on. As Jim said, there won't be much traffic noise at night.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Sun_Ray
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray » Apr 20 2012 4:37 pm

I have never handled elevation well even in my marathon running days so going with a slow group is appealing to me. I'll save the date and see what my calendar looks like when I get closer to the date. Hard to be a Arizona Hiker without doing Humphreys.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

fotogirl53
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by fotogirl53 » Apr 20 2012 4:52 pm

I'd love to join the slow group but I will be in Ketchican at that time! Have fun and be safe--lightning kills!
Allergic to cities.

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Apr 20 2012 5:58 pm

squatpuke wrote:Not 100% but can you car camp around Snowbowl???

Lockett Meadown or Weatherford TH also options....longer hikes though.
I think those are the best options. After doing the Inner Basin for the first time last year, I will always summit via that route from now on-- especially now that the road to Lockett was re-opened. Why anyone would choose any route other than the Inner Basin is a mystery to me. :)
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Apr 20 2012 6:01 pm

@Tough_Boots
What he said
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 20 2012 7:26 pm

I agree with what HPP said earlier. Unless you are already used to hiking 14 miles with 4,000+ AEG at a higher elevation, these longer routes should be left until later, after you've tested your mettle on the shorter route.

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Apr 21 2012 6:15 pm

@Jim_H we have other plans that day and we want to see the sunrise halfway or at the top which is why we want a 3 or 4 am start :D

@azbackpackr we most definitely are not use to that :sweat: , we will be hiking the usual summit trail, 10 miles round trip.
as for car camping we can do it anywhere...i mean i could park outside my auntie's house or Squatpuke can let us shack up in his backyard :sl: It doesn't matter where we camp once we get there we'll just drive to the TH when we're ready to shove off.
@fotogirl53 too bad you can't join us but Ketchican sweeeet!

@Sun Ray hope you can join us, the more the merrier! PLUS if we get down early enough (before noon?!) we were hoping for some side exploring of nearby caves...not lava tubes don't worry :)

Return to “Hiking Events”