3 Days in "Paradise" with The Hippy

Find & Add Hiking Events!

Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides  • Reavis Ranch via 109 North, AZ  • Circlestone, AZ  • Mound Mountain Peak, AZ
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2012-11-09

# of days 3

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

3 Days in "Paradise" with The Hippy

Post by Hippy » Sep 09 2012 2:51 pm

November 9/10/11 2012 (Fri/Sat/Sun)

I'll be leading a troupe into the Supes for 3 days of fun, hiking, exploring (and cartwheels, can't forget the cartwheels!) So of course everyone is welcome and encouraged to join us.

Day 1 (friday)
Roughly 2 1/2 hour drive from Peoria (where I live) so we'll plan on a 4am depart from home for an early start.
Depending on who all will join us I may opt to leave the night before (because I love night hiking : rambo : ) but we'll take a vote.

We will begin at Reavis Trailhead (Reavis Ranch Via North #109) it's roughly a 9 mile hike to Reavis Ranch, there we will set up base camp

Day 2 (saturday)
From our base camp at Reavis Ranch we will head out to visit Circlestone and finish it up with a group bagging of Mound Mountain's peak at 6,266 feet. Shouldn't take the entire day to do this but we'll use the entire day to explore.

Day 3 (sunday)
Lazy morning of exploring the area followed by the 9 mile hike back to the vehicle(s) at Reavis Trailhead and home in time for supper!

3 days in the Supes, doesn't get any better than this....well, unless you're Elisha Reavis a century or so ago... :D

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Re: 3 Days in "Paradise" with The Hippy

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Sep 09 2012 9:01 pm

Sounds like a blast! Wish I could go but have way to much going on at that time. Would love to hit Reavis from the north end. Maybe after the new year.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Sep 10 2012 8:47 am

@kevinweitzel75 maybe next spring! I usually do my trips a couple times over. Heads up for May next year, be traveling to Supai once again. :D

Trish, John, Vince and Kyle, you might just wanna switch that interested over to going and get it over with! :lol:
I think two of my non-HAZ buddies might be joining us and at least one of them has never backpacked before so nice and easy this time around!

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Sep 10 2012 2:20 pm

You might want to locate and GPS record the location of the spring when you enter the Reavis Valley.
See the following link on how to find it and share with us it's location:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6790&p=79972#p79972
:thanx:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Sep 11 2012 7:48 am

@SuperstitionGuy anything for you! :lol: I'll see what we can do...right Vince?

SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Sep 11 2012 8:26 am

@HippyHaley

The following link is a picture of the truck frame that had been converted to a trailor to haul the apples.

When you find this you are within about 100 feet of the spring.

http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=55891
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Sep 11 2012 9:27 am

SuperstitionGuy wrote:

Postby SuperstitionGuy » Sep 11 2012 08:26 am
@HippyHaley

The following link is a picture of the truck frame that had been converted to a trailor to haul the apples.

When you find this you are within about 100 feet of the spring.

http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=55891
During free camp time, this sounds like a fun challenge for your group to try and locate, waypoint, and take some pics of this spring area and spring source
(If anyone can print a copy of SuperstitionGuy's above pic of the old truck frame for reference, this could also make for a new HAZ "PicMimic" association.. http://hikearizona.com/dexcoder.php?PID=1665467 . If located, we would need to set up a new "Named place" label for this new spring which rightfully we should probably have SuperstitionGuy name it).. Good luck! :)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Sep 11 2012 12:25 pm

Grasshopper wrote:(If anyone can print a copy of SuperstitionGuy's above pic of the old truck frame for reference, this could also make for a new HAZ "PicMimic" association.. http://hikearizona.com/dexcoder.php?PID=1665467 .
I'll print it right now! Great, now I'm determined :roll:

@SuperstitionGuy within 100 feet? Have you ever seen said spring? Has ANYONE ever seen it? :lol:

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Sep 11 2012 12:32 pm

you could find twenty springs and six traps in that location but you will never find SG's spring
interestingly enough, from SG's spring you can see the monument trail
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Sep 11 2012 2:49 pm

@joe bartels
Oh ye of little faith Joe. This spring is real and has been used for years by those using that last hardened campsite adjacent to the old truck frame. I have never seen it dry and it is sweet and pure as long as their is a decent pipe installed into the source.

The only problem we had during those years of operating Friends of Reavis was from a particular young liberal college volunteer with the USFS that kept pulling out the pipe. I have never said this publicly but Reavis Ranch burnt to the ground just weeks after he left the Wilderness. I have always suspected him of coming back and intentionaly setting the old ranch house on fire.

HAZers go find that spring and GPS it's location for all to enjoy in the future.

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Sep 13 2012 12:16 pm

SuperstitionGuy wrote:but Reavis Ranch burnt to the ground
I thought the actual ranch still stood? :o I've seen photos of it, like the barn or house or whatever...what exactly WILL i see when i go out there in 2 months?

SG, if there is a spring you can count on this crazy little Hippy to find it...or at least get into some trouble trying to find it :lol:

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Sep 13 2012 12:54 pm

the house is gone. The foundation still exists and there's a bunch of old farm equipment scattered around.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Sep 13 2012 12:58 pm

HippyHaley wrote:I thought the actual ranch still stood? :o I've seen photos of it, like the barn or house or whatever...what exactly WILL i see when i go out there in 2 months?
Some of our "Named place" pics of the Reavis Ranch area: http://hikearizona.com/dexcoder.php?PID=1632407

mazatzal

Post by mazatzal » Sep 13 2012 5:10 pm

@Grasshopper
You may be about to get a spring too.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Sep 13 2012 5:40 pm

@mazatzal
After just viewing JBs posted 9/13 GPS Route, I was thinking the same thing when I saw those little loops north of Tr 117 & off of Tr 109 :) ..we will see..
(this one will be for SuperstitionGuy)

mazatzal

Post by mazatzal » Sep 13 2012 6:13 pm

:lol: Exactly! Those little loops made me :-k

SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Sep 13 2012 11:35 pm

Dear Miss Cartwheel,

When I first saw Reavis ranch I had hiked in from the north and the apple trees were loaded with apples and javelina and deer were in the orchard gorging themselves. The wire fences and gates were still in place and the wood and pole corral around the tack shed was still mostly intact.

There was a light rain at the time and as I approached the house I could see smoke curling out of the fireplace chimney.
But to my dismay when I entered the main room of the house the backpackers that were there had taken two of the long corral fence poles from the fence and had laid them on the floor with the smaller ends sticking into the fireplace. Thus I was introduced as to why the ranch was slowly being vandalized and destroyed by careless individuals who just did not care about this precious jewel in the wilderness.

Over the years that I coordinated the efforts of the Friends of Reavis to maintain the ranch hoping someday to see it registered as a historic place. I met and visited with many hikers, backpackers and horseman who years ago had worked, lived or somehow known the ranch firsthand. The barn, the well with its donkey engine, the above ground cistern with gravity flow water to the house. The ducks and geese swimming in the canal fed pond next to the house.

The man cutting hay in the north field with a Ford or Ferguson tractor that had a rifle in a scabbard attached along the side of the tractor. He invited a visiting Scout Troop backpacking in from the east to sleep in the hayloft of the barn that night and told them to gather eggs from under the hens in the hen house the next morning for their breakfast.

The late night drinking and poker parties in the kitchen and the banker that would visit old Hoolie Bacon every year to review the finances and how he hated to be driven in on that old road from Apache Trail. And how one time Hoolie Bacon stopped the car they were in, jumped out, picked up a big rock and hurled it at a rattlesnake along the side of the road and killed it with just one throw.

The baby’s footprint in the concrete as you entered the breezeway from the north, a daughter of a working cowboy and his wife who lived at the ranch at the time. Alice was her name and she was named after the wife of Hoolie Bacon or was it the wife of a previous owner? I just don't remember right now. I wonder if the concrete that holds that footprint in time is still there and just where is Alice now and does she know this story.

The stolen saddle and how the judge committed one of the young boys involved to a year of confinement with the Scout Troop sponsored by the downtown Methodist Church in Mesa, Arizona and how years later this boy became the Scoutmaster of the most successful Scout Troop in Mesa, Arizona in the 1980's and 90's. Hello Jim M.

The kitchen stove which at one time had been stolen from the ranch via helicopter and how law enforcement made the culprit return it to the ranch piece by piece via mule or horse pack. I could go on and on with stories that had been related to me but that is all history now. Unrecorded and lost as is the house, barn, cistern, corral and the tack shed.

One day while burning others trash, breaking up the glass and pounding flat the burnt metal cans so they could be packaged and horse packed out, we found hidden in the tack shed the previous trail sign that was on the trail sign post at the junction of the Fireline Trail and the Reavis Trail. I backpacked it out and for years it was above the entrance to my home. We eventually gave it to the Superstition Mountain Museum along with a number of other historic items and just maybe someday they will have it on display.

After the fire in 91 the stone and concrete walls were still standing but inside the ruin was a foot or two of ash, wire, plumbing, sand from the plastered walls and two layers of the corrugated metal roof and hundreds if not thousands of rusty nails. About a year later Troop 251 of Mesa supported Nathan Johnson and as an Eagle Project cleaned it all out and stacked the roofing material which has since been I assume airlifted out by the U.S. Forest Service.

We had hoped that the Forest Service would have left the walls and fireplace still standing but they considered it a hazard to anyone who would enter it or camp in it and tore it all down and dispersed the concrete and rock up the hillside. Now all you can see is the remains of the ranch floor. :lone:

But what is left of the orchard is still there along with the natural beauty of the valley and of course Reavis Spring will always flow and quench your thirst if you’re willing enough to find it. ;)

beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher » Sep 14 2012 7:59 am

thanks for the history lesson SG. :)
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

chulavista
City, State: Little Running Water

Post by chulavista » Sep 14 2012 9:18 am

Fantastic history SG. Thank you. I've never been to Reavis, but it's on my wish list.
You will never succeed if you don't try.
http://www.kathysieloff.com

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Sep 15 2012 11:56 am

Thank you, Owen. Reavis is my favorite destination in all the Supes. I would have loved to hike up there during those times.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

Return to “Hiking Events”