3 Days in "Paradise" with The Hippy

Find & Add Hiking Events!

Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides  • Reavis Ranch via 109 North, AZ  • Circlestone, AZ  • Mound Mountain Peak, AZ
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2012-11-09

# of days 3

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

3 Days in "Paradise" with The Hippy

Post by Hippy » Sep 09 2012 2:51 pm

November 9/10/11 2012 (Fri/Sat/Sun)

I'll be leading a troupe into the Supes for 3 days of fun, hiking, exploring (and cartwheels, can't forget the cartwheels!) So of course everyone is welcome and encouraged to join us.

Day 1 (friday)
Roughly 2 1/2 hour drive from Peoria (where I live) so we'll plan on a 4am depart from home for an early start.
Depending on who all will join us I may opt to leave the night before (because I love night hiking : rambo : ) but we'll take a vote.

We will begin at Reavis Trailhead (Reavis Ranch Via North #109) it's roughly a 9 mile hike to Reavis Ranch, there we will set up base camp

Day 2 (saturday)
From our base camp at Reavis Ranch we will head out to visit Circlestone and finish it up with a group bagging of Mound Mountain's peak at 6,266 feet. Shouldn't take the entire day to do this but we'll use the entire day to explore.

Day 3 (sunday)
Lazy morning of exploring the area followed by the 9 mile hike back to the vehicle(s) at Reavis Trailhead and home in time for supper!

3 days in the Supes, doesn't get any better than this....well, unless you're Elisha Reavis a century or so ago... :D

Hippy

Re: 3 Days in "Paradise" with The Hippy

Post by Hippy » Sep 15 2012 1:48 pm

You had me at
SuperstitionGuy wrote:Dear Miss Cartwheel,
:sl:

SG, you never cease to amaze me, thank you for that bit of history, absolutely fascinating...now I'll be looking for a footprint in the doorway as well, who knows...The Supes have so many wonderful tales to be told, I wish they could be written down and told to the next generation, too much longer and those who DO remember won't be with us much longer...please share as much as you can as often as you can, I will listen and read : app :

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Sep 17 2012 6:47 pm

Just an FYI for those of you considering this trip. This is a great time of the year to visit Reavis because of the fall color and there should still be a few apples on the trees. On the ground beneath the trees there is an abundance of food for the deer, bear and javilina as well. Great opportunity for wildlife shots for those of you that are willing to patiently wait in or near the orchard.

However it can get cold in that valley of approximately 4,800 feet so be prepared and especially if the sky is clear. Which reminds me that if your into taking pictures of the night sky this is a great place to do it. And if your lucky your campsite will be visited by the ringtail cat as well so keep those cameras handy when you retire for the night.

I recommend that you camp in the woods north of the orchard where there will be a greater supply of ready firewood. The hardened campsites by the remains of the old ranch house are to overused to supply sufficient firewood.

Happy hiking and camping and please take a lot of pictures! :thanx:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Espi
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by Espi » Sep 17 2012 7:38 pm

Your stories and facts of the Supes are awesome and motivating. Thanks so much for sharing.

oliverr99
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by oliverr99 » Sep 17 2012 8:04 pm

Awwww I would love to go, but signed up for the Phoenix Summit Challenge! Have fun!!!

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Sep 19 2012 6:33 pm

SuperstitionGuy wrote: if your lucky your campsite will be visited by the ringtail cat as well
Vince and I usually have crazy luck with weather and wildlife so I cannot wait to see what we get this trip!!! 3 ringtails in one year would be awesome!!!

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Oct 13 2012 7:06 am

So I wanted to point out that I will be bringing one or two non-hikers on this trip with me, two lady friends from high school days. And also I am currently nursing a depressing knee injury :cry: so by the time this trip rolls around I am HOPING to be back to my usual mad cap hiking speed but for the sake of my non-hiking friends and my knee-friend I will be taking it slow...

No 3.5mph hiking for me this time around so if there are any slower paced hikers that would like to join us, I will be more than happy to slow my step and hang out with you on the hikes in and out.
we'll have MORE than enough time to explore so no rush, no worries.

DBmooner
City, State: chandler, Az

Post by DBmooner » Oct 13 2012 2:03 pm

I agree with Sg this being the best time of year to go and i know a good spot just north of the orchard that can handle a large group. i wont be able to start hikeing till late afternoon i have 3 freinds comeing and they dont get out of class till noon and one of them has never backpacked befor so we will probly be going slow too

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Oct 13 2012 3:17 pm

1) To see ringtails, just before dark set out an opened sardine can as this will draw them in so you can capture them in your cameras.

2) If your late starting and do not want to hike in the dark you may want to consider spending the night at the Frog Tanks turn off and hike into the valley at sunrise. The night will be warmer there and you will really enjoy the short hike into the valley.

:M2C:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

DBmooner

Post by DBmooner » Oct 13 2012 7:58 pm

i like night hikeing but it is a good plane B incase the newbies get tired. it will just make the second day longer for me my freinds are probly staying in the ranch the second day when we go to circle stone and mound mountian

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Oct 15 2012 8:48 am

glad you're going to make at DB, are these some of the same friends from Supai? Cuz they were pretty fun.
I was thinking about it and we'll be leaving phx and what not early friday AM, no thursday night hike for us.

p.s. thought i'd be a "cool kid" like everyone else and just be "interested" in this hike :lol:

DBmooner

Post by DBmooner » Oct 15 2012 4:32 pm

no this is 3 other freinds 2 girls and a guy . i think you just liked that Dan was in is underwear most the time :sl: . . my freind Jake is hikeing in by him self on friday evening

chumley

Post by chumley » Oct 15 2012 4:36 pm

HippyHaley wrote:p.s. thought i'd be a "cool kid" like everyone else and just be "interested" in this hike :lol:
Unfortunately, as the event creator, when you aren't committed anymore, nobody else can change their interest/status. But you'd still be a cool kid even if you opened it up for everybody again.
Profound observer

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Oct 16 2012 11:38 am

DBmooner wrote: i think you just liked that Dan was in is underwear most the time
wow, no i was just jealous i couldn't be in my underwear, i had to settle for the bikini. did we ever buy that kid a swimsuit?!?!
I think John and Larry will be driving up later friday. I plan on kidnapping my part of thr group crazy early friday but he might be able to join Larry and John...just ask!

Chumley, nope! :D

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Oct 16 2012 10:10 pm

Apparently, I'm not cool enough to be able to click the interested button. :cry:
My ability to attend is completely dependent on other plans getting cancelled though, so this trip is officially Plan B for me. :guilty:
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Oct 16 2012 11:22 pm

HALEY!!! PUT YOURSELF AS COMMITTED AGAIN OR NOBODY ELSE CAN SIGN UP OR CHANGE THEIR STATUS!!!! :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :D
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

chumley

Post by chumley » Oct 17 2012 1:22 am

I vote for nonot's plans to cancel so he can go. It might be chilly at night and there's gonna have to be a good fire. :)
Profound observer

chulavista
City, State: Little Running Water

Post by chulavista » Oct 17 2012 7:04 am

Do this next year, and hubby and I will join you! I'm not sure I'm in shape for it this year, and hubby has a hunting trip that starts on 11/9.
You will never succeed if you don't try.
http://www.kathysieloff.com

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Oct 17 2012 10:37 am

@chulavista I will most definitely do this next year, maybe in the spring too. :)

Ialso want to point out that by my inaccurate calculations we are coming dangerously close to our 15 person wilderness limit. I do believe if my usual group and DB and his 3 friends come that puts us at 11... first come first serve! :lol:

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 17 2012 12:15 pm

HH should be able to Update to Committed now (and appears just did), there was a bug in the script. Since I was on the balcony of the lion pit I threw down another steak. HH doesn't need to re-commit as others may now change status when the organizer is not committed. The event date still needs to be in the future and should be accessible to moderators.
Magic 8 Ball 30 edges, 12 vertices and 20 faces(answers)
HAZ neverending joy
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley

Post by chumley » Oct 17 2012 12:16 pm

I've been told that I'm going on this trip. :scared:
Profound observer

Return to “Hiking Events”