Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Type Trail Maintenance

Start Date 2013-12-14

# of days 1

JuanJaimeiii
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Flatiron Orange Paint Removal Project

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Dec 08 2013 5:53 am

Well if you haven't seen the Orange Arrows Leading up to the Flatiron in person you may certainly have seen photos of them. They are obnoxious and unnecessary. I decided to test out the removal of the arrows with a product I have used in the past called "Citristrip". It is a bio degradable non toxic stripper and seemed to work quite well. JohnLP came along on the initial test and we found that this product in a spray can, along with a good scrub brush and some shop towels to mop up the mess did the trick. In roughly an hour and a half of work we were able to eliminate 3 of them. That leaves 17 to be removed.

I would like to put together a small task force to finish the job.

The plan if weather permits is for next Saturday the 14th of December starting at 8am. We will need an additional 6 cans as we found one can works for about 3 arrows.

What to bring? Bring a pair of rubber gloves like you would use to wash dishes by hand. Some old shop towels to mop up the paint and a good scrub brush. Lastly bring a plastic bag to haul out the mess. As for the Citristrip I will purchase all the product. If you want to chip in on that I ask that you donate to HAZ instead. The Citristrip is 9.00 a bottle and without HAZ I wouldn't be able to post this event.

Let's meet at the Quick Trip on the corner of Idaho and Old West Highway. From the 60 it is straight north on Idaho a few miles at the south-east corner of Idaho and Old West Highway. Meet at 8am sharp. We will leave there by 8:20 and go get this party (oops meant project) started.

Mick
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Flatiron Orange Paint Removal Project

Post by Mick » Dec 15 2013 9:00 pm

Well done-Thanks All!
AZMick

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 15 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks everyone, I'll have to check it in the spring.

Espi
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by Espi » Dec 16 2013 12:50 pm

Thank you all for your time out there. Just got done looking at the pics that were posted. Very well done!

Wish I could have given a hand. :worthy:

The_Dude
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by The_Dude » Dec 18 2013 11:24 am

Big thanks to all who worked on this one, I wish I could have made it out to help! It is good to know that the canyon will be restored for my next trip out there.

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Jul 10 2016 7:04 am

I heard a rumor on another website that there is a new batch of dots & arrows. Can anyone confirm or deny?
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

syoung
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by syoung » Jul 10 2016 2:42 pm

SpiderLegs wrote:I heard a rumor on another website that there is a new batch of dots & arrows. Can anyone confirm or deny?
I was just out there today (a little past the first saddle) and didn't see any.

Return to “Hiking Events”