Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Type Trail Maintenance

Start Date 2013-12-14

# of days 1

JuanJaimeiii
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Flatiron Orange Paint Removal Project

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Dec 08 2013 5:53 am

Well if you haven't seen the Orange Arrows Leading up to the Flatiron in person you may certainly have seen photos of them. They are obnoxious and unnecessary. I decided to test out the removal of the arrows with a product I have used in the past called "Citristrip". It is a bio degradable non toxic stripper and seemed to work quite well. JohnLP came along on the initial test and we found that this product in a spray can, along with a good scrub brush and some shop towels to mop up the mess did the trick. In roughly an hour and a half of work we were able to eliminate 3 of them. That leaves 17 to be removed.

I would like to put together a small task force to finish the job.

The plan if weather permits is for next Saturday the 14th of December starting at 8am. We will need an additional 6 cans as we found one can works for about 3 arrows.

What to bring? Bring a pair of rubber gloves like you would use to wash dishes by hand. Some old shop towels to mop up the paint and a good scrub brush. Lastly bring a plastic bag to haul out the mess. As for the Citristrip I will purchase all the product. If you want to chip in on that I ask that you donate to HAZ instead. The Citristrip is 9.00 a bottle and without HAZ I wouldn't be able to post this event.

Let's meet at the Quick Trip on the corner of Idaho and Old West Highway. From the 60 it is straight north on Idaho a few miles at the south-east corner of Idaho and Old West Highway. Meet at 8am sharp. We will leave there by 8:20 and go get this party (oops meant project) started.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re Flatiron Orange Paint Removal Project

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 10 2013 7:02 am

Ok, let me get this straight...

So when the Forest Service (who's tasked with management of the Wilderness) doesn't do it's job in a timely manner (just how long ago did they hear about this from mnlumberjack, an FS volunteer no less?), then someone else steps up to the plate to do the job and what, practically gets smacked down by what comes across to me as a You better do this only with proper authorization or you'll be arrested! tone.

I can see the headline now: A group from the fanatical wilderness protection organization 'HAZ' arrested for Removing graffiti without a permit'.

I tell ya'... when it appears to be ok to spray paint on rocks in a wilderness but not clean it up, what is this world coming to?

Yes, in this litigious society I understand the need for waivers and such for structured groups, but a few individuals who just happen to be HAZ members doing something good? Sorry that just stinks.
:M2C:
CannondaleKid

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 10 2013 8:06 am

I posted this November 14 and I guess most of you missed it, and I quote:

"It is best to leave it for the USFS to deal with or at least get permission to remove it.
Attempts to remove it without permission may result in long term damage and/or a ticket with fines for doing so.
Those of you that are volunteers with the USFS answer up please."

End of quote.

Yes the USFS is supposed to manage the Wilderness but some times they think of only tickets and revenue therefrom. :scared:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Bradshaws
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Bradshaws » Dec 10 2013 9:38 am

Doesn't really matter to me WHO is suppose to do it, I'll do it, right or wrong... : rambo : I'm in!! :y:

It seems I have a "funeral" to attend Saturday so I can't make it to work ;) Word is some orange arrows are going to die... :lone: :sweat:
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

RickVincent

Re Re Flatiron Orange Paint Removal Project

Post by RickVincent » Dec 10 2013 10:07 am

SuperstitionGuy wrote: "It is best to leave it for the USFS to deal with or at least get permission to remove it.
Attempts to remove it without permission may result in long term damage and/or a ticket with fines for doing so.
Those of you that are volunteers with the USFS answer up please."
Forest Service has pretty much given us the nod. Sounds like we will be signing a "permission slip" to volunteer.

Siphon Draw Posse to the rescue :wlift: .
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Dec 10 2013 11:51 am

This will be unique for me, cleaning trail with permission. :y: I've picked up a lot of trash and maybe nipped back some catsclaw a time or two but never with a permit. :scared:
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re Re Flatiron Orange Paint Removal Project

Post by Sredfield » Dec 10 2013 4:52 pm

azhiker96 wrote:This will be unique for me, cleaning trail with permission. :y: I've picked up a lot of trash and maybe nipped back some catsclaw a time or two but never with a permit. :scared:
Kind of takes some of the fun out of it, eh?
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

JuanJaimeiii

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Dec 11 2013 12:20 pm

I didn't find any of this to be too much red tape. It didn't really cross my mind in the first place to be honest but if they want a volunteer form to be completed then I am happy to do so.

It's all good and I am looking forward to getting the task completed so we can all go back to enjoying it as nature intended it to be.

vanman
City, State: Gilbert

Post by vanman » Dec 11 2013 2:45 pm

Nice work JJ! Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday and getting rid of those things!!

Bradshaws

Re: Flatiron Orange Paint Removal Project

Post by Bradshaws » Dec 13 2013 5:44 pm

I see that most everyone is coming from the East side but I'll be coming from NW Phoenix (35th Ave. & Bell) around 6:45-7ish with 3 empty seats. Let me know if anyone wants or needs a ride :)

See Y'all tomorrow :D

leannsanchez
City, State: mesa

Post by leannsanchez » Dec 13 2013 6:00 pm

Is there room for another volunteer or two? I'd be happy to help!

JuanJaimeiii

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Dec 13 2013 6:31 pm

Yes there is room for more! Would love to have an army of volunteers. Meet at 8:00am at the Quick Trip on Old West Hwy and Idaho/88. If you need directions feel free to call me on my cell phone. 602-478-5646.

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 13 2013 8:18 pm

Haz Hikers are the best I look forward to meeting everyone and getting the job done. See everyone in the morning :y:
Rowdy and Widowmaker

mistaben

Post by mistaben » Dec 13 2013 11:28 pm

I didn't know about this project until the other day, but I'll be on the trail with a handful of Boy Scouts tomorrow morning. I'll make sure to say hi to anyone we see scrubbing rocks!

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Dec 13 2013 11:46 pm

If I'd had a silent night I would have gone. However, I'm a nurse, on call, and currently waiting for my second post op patient. I'm going to be up all night and will have to catch up on sleep tomorrow. Have fun! :zzz:
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 14 2013 5:58 am

@leannsanchez
See you there :y:

Larry
Rowdy and Widowmaker

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 14 2013 8:45 am

Met with the rock scrubbers this morning to wish them well. More showed up then were committed and by now they are on trail heading up into Siphon Draw with weapons in hand. USFS service gave a safety briefing to some of the most experienced off trail men and women of Arizona. It was, shall we say a little hilarious.

Outdoor Lover will be posting pictures of the groups activities, so standby for the good stuff later this evening or tomorrow.... :y:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 14 2013 8:52 am

SuperstitionGuy wrote:USFS service gave a safety briefing to some of the most experienced off trail men and women of Arizona. It was, shall we say a little hilarious.
Official gubment CYA. Typical. :lol:
I hope Pam took video of that!
Profound observer

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Dec 14 2013 10:02 am

SuperstitionGuy wrote: USFS service gave a safety briefing to some of the most experienced off trail men and women of Arizona. It was, shall we say a little hilarious.
Ha! Wish I could have seen that. I understand and appreciate the necessity of such things-we can always use a safety reminder-but it does get a little redundant.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Bradshaws

Post by Bradshaws » Dec 14 2013 5:07 pm

Great day!! We got all the arrows :DANCE: most of the paint came off fairly easy but the hike was a KILLER! ( :stop: This was my 1st time to the iron and only 2nd in the supes)

All in all a wonderful day. Thanks to everyone, especially john for putting this together.

Nice to meet you all :D
Last edited by Bradshaws on Dec 16 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 14 2013 6:09 pm

@chumley
I didn't... ;) He was just doing what he had to do...Besides, if I had been pointing a Camera, the spontaneity would have never happened...It was just one of those "you had to be there times"..... :D
@SuperstitionGuy
I actually didn't take many Photos, I should have taken a Group One at QT, nobody was really all together after that, and by the time I hit Siphon, everybody else was probably close to the Top... :sweat: I knew I wouldn't go very far today as I have some Confidence issues with a Knee still, so other than Bob, exploring above us when we got done, there just weren't many Photo Ops to be had....But it was a good Day!!! Thanks to everyone who participated, it was good to meet up with old friends again and meet some new ones!!! Thanks for the Treats at the Start Owen! It was good to see you again today too!!! :y:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Return to “Hiking Events”