Linked Guide  • Pilot Rock Summit, AZ
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2014-09-27

# of days 2

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Return of the Painted Desert Rendezvous

Post by PaleoRob » May 11 2014 6:20 am

So folks I finally return to the site after too much time away. I have been wanted to get back out backpacking and Randal messaged me the other week about Pilot Rock in the Petrified Forest. I've always wanted to get up there so it didn't take much convincing. September 27th and 28th. We'll probably meet up the night before in Holbrook to allow an early start. Head out into the Wilderness, make camp near Pilot Rock, and ascend. The next day it is back to the vehicles. Simple PeFo meetup. Folks are welcome to hike out on the 27th for the day as well. Lots of fossils to be seen and some prehistoric artifacts will crop up for sure.
Randy and I are co-organizing this so feel free to send any questions our way or post them here.
Let's do this!
http://hikearizona.com/decoder=2238
Last edited by PaleoRob on May 11 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

PaleoRob

Re: Return of the Painted Desert Rendezvous

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 07 2014 10:44 am

@Bradshaws

Well dang it! Happy birthday though!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 07 2014 10:45 am

@azbackpackr

Let me know. It'd be good to have you along but I understand how work does stuff like make you be there to earn your paycheck. Pshaw!
-Old Spiritual

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 07 2014 10:48 am

te-wa wrote:Rob, i am still committed... i will be hiking with my li'l backpacking buddy, my son Wes. he's just turning 8, has a new overnight pack, and would love to explore the artifacts and landscape.

does anyone plan on doing a water cache?
Sounds good! Haven't been out to the rock yet but there's some places along the planned route that I am familiar with that we could totally cache water at. I'm for the idea.
-Old Spiritual

azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 07 2014 10:20 pm

Rob del Desierto wrote:@azbackpackr

Let me know. It'd be good to have you along but I understand how work does stuff like make you be there to earn your paycheck. Pshaw!
I hated to do it, but I had to. I am really not supposed to ask for time off during the tour season. Truth be told, Rob, I've been invited on a four-day Diamond Down in mid-October with Tom Martin and Helen Howard, and they are rowing their replica dories, the Gem and the Susie Too. I had to choose one or the other trip, and the boss wasn't going to go for both. Anyway, I'm sorry but I know you will understand.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Randal_Schulhauser
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Sep 09 2014 10:59 pm

I will drive up to Holbrook the Friday 9/26 evening for our Saturday PEFO rendezvous. I potentially have space for a rider (or 2) in my F-150...

Any thoughts on Friday overnighter in Holbrook? I'm thinking the Wigwam Motel along Route 66 => http://sleepinawigwam.com/ only for the "eclectic kische" effect but certainly open to other suggestions. :wrt:

Thoughts?

RANDAL

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 10 2014 5:02 am

Randal Schulhauser wrote:I will drive up to Holbrook the Friday 9/26 evening for our Saturday PEFO rendezvous. I potentially have space for a rider (or 2) in my F-150...

Any thoughts on Friday overnighter in Holbrook? I'm thinking the Wigwam Motel along Route 66 => http://sleepinawigwam.com/ only for the "eclectic kische" effect but certainly open to other suggestions. :wrt:

Thoughts?

RANDAL
I am willing to bet Rob won't go for that. I remember him commenting on it a few years ago. He's stayed there before...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Randal_Schulhauser

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Sep 10 2014 8:11 pm

But I thought "the squirrel" could hook up his hammock between two tepees :D

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 12 2014 4:49 pm

I'm down for the Wigwam. My buddy stayed there but I never have. It might be sketchy but I'm still game.
-Old Spiritual

Randal_Schulhauser

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Sep 12 2014 7:02 pm

Yes, it's so sketchy that it's sold out! :( :( :(

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 12 2014 7:49 pm

Rob, I stand corrected. Another HAZzer, it must have been. But it's sold out??? Well, wish I could go.

Randal_Schulhauser

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Sep 12 2014 8:03 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Rob, I stand corrected. Another HAZzer, it must have been. But it's sold out??? Well, wish I could go.

Liz, I was laughed at on the phone when I asked to reserve a room on 9/26. They said you usually have to book a few months in advance to get a weekend room.

Ended up booking at the Best Western in Holbrook => http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern ... ed-_-03066

So much for trying out something unique... :( :( :(

fan3992
City, State: Chandler,az

Post by fan3992 » Sep 15 2014 4:46 pm

If I can find ride, would like to go? any one ? Larry, are you day hiking only? Driving takes some time. How about Te-wa? I would like to do one day backpacking and be there (TH) Friday night? I can drive if someone go with me.

te_wa
City, State: Mesa

Post by te_wa » Sep 15 2014 7:36 pm

I live in Mesa, near Higley and Brown (Darth Stiller-ville). am leaving Friday around 4 pm. will prolly take the back route via 87 and I-40. Fan, you are welcome to hitch a ride.
te-wa
squirrel!

fan3992

Post by fan3992 » Sep 15 2014 11:20 pm

Thx. Te wa. Will pm you.

Randal_Schulhauser

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Sep 16 2014 7:28 am

Looks like my F-150 will be pulling out of PHX sometime between 2pm and 3pm on Friday with Rob del Desierto, trekkin gecko and tibber as riders. We have rooms booked at the Hobrook Best Western on Navajo Blvd that Friday evening.

I'll let Rob set the Saturday morning rendezvous plans... ;)

RANDAL
cell 480.292.4689

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Sep 16 2014 8:34 am

Randal Schulhauser wrote:Looks like my F-150 will be pulling out of PHX sometime between 2pm and 3pm on Friday with Rob del Desierto, trekkin gecko and tibber as riders.
Sounds like your going to have a fun party all the way up! :y:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

fan3992

Post by fan3992 » Sep 19 2014 8:26 am

@te-wa
Hi Te-Wa, did you receive my email?

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 21 2014 11:36 am

Easiest meetup plan would be at the Painted Desert Lodge/trailhead at 8am I would think. Park opens at 7 so if we want to get together earlier I'm fine with that but I figure that will still get us out early and allow us to get around decently before meeting up.
-Old Spiritual

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 21 2014 11:48 am

Here's sort of my plan for the hike, subject to change based on ground conditions. I have been on the ground for essentially the first half of this route. The second half is based on a combination of satellite photos and the topo maps.
http://hikearizona.com/map.php?MY=8555&M=6
I did not include an ascent up Pilot Rock on the map since I think we'll just need to see what things look like when we get there and determine the best way up.
I'm open to thoughts on this of course.
-Old Spiritual

te_wa
City, State: Mesa

Post by te_wa » Sep 21 2014 12:53 pm

Rob, is the route actual 8.75 miles?
for some reason, i imagined the first day would be <3 miles.. i may have to re-think my hiking partner's abilities, plus the idea of carrying 2+ gallons (17lbs) of water around for hours..

:o
squirrel!

Return to “Hiking Events”